Skip to content

The Opposition View - Luton Town

Comments

• I've said this before but Vital provides a quote that perfectly encapsulates my point:

PDW wrote:
    "We out Wycombed Wycombe. A exceptional display of managing the game, time wasting , keeping the ball in the corner and falling down after the slight touch. Normally I would disapprove of such filth - even though it's part and parcel of the modern game (more's the pity) , however seeing it was against a smug, intolerable, insufferable ghastly little man and his cynical team, I will make an exception, just this once."

After almost every home match we get the same sort of quote. Away team come to Adams Park and adjust their style to play horrible, cynical, niggly football in order to beat us at our game. They delight in it because they only have to put up with it for one match and it teaches us a lesson. But us poor Wycombe fans have to suffer the sight of two teams trying to out-anti-football each other week after week. And it's a lesson we never learn.

Forget the results; this is why - in my opinion - the crowds are staying away. It's hard to disagree with their decision.

• Taking my cue from "bennos boot" perhaps we should rename Adams Park Home Park!

• sort of agree @aloysius , but you mostly get those sort of comments when we've beaten teams on their own ground.

And every game we lose, a simple wander through either here or the WWFC group, and you'll see equally bitter nonsensical wailings.

It's biased footy fans, I honestly don't think we're some sort of Westley light team by any stretch

• I think you might be a tad deluded if you believe a change in playing style would bring the 'crowds'.

• The only sure-fire way to get the gates up is to win promotion to League One. If we have to do that playing ugly away from home, that's fine if we get results. But as is being discussed in the other thread, the ugly counter-attacking game doesn't work from home so we may as well try something new.

• There is a growing trend that teams seem to think we are the worst anti-football team in the league. The fact that it keeps coming up again and again must mean it is not a few random teams but something more serious. I'm all for grinding out a result, but I'd rather we steered clear of the unnecessary time-wasting and anti-football tactics that are giving us such a bad reputation in the league. It just means teams are now coming to Adams Park to 'beat us at our own game', resulting in poor football that isn't going to have people queueing up to come back for more.