Skip to content

Trouble in Hillbottom Road before the game today

Did anyone else see the brawl that kicked off half way up Hillbottom Road at around 2.45? Walking to the game I suddenly saw several police officers running across the road about 100 metres ahead, and it was soon clear they were trying to contain an outbreak of fighting in the middle of the road. Several more police ran past me towards the incident and two or three police vans quickly followed. By the time we got to the scene of the trouble there were several small groups of Luton supporters (without colours) arguing with the police and two people had been handcuffed and were being led away - having presumably been arrested. It looked as though Wycombe fans had been involved too - I recognised one 'face' and I overheard someone say something had started at the Hour Glass earlier. There was a large police presence after the game too and several police stationed outside the off licence.

Comments

• Don't rule out two groups of Luton fans fighting with each other!

• Heard a police van speeding into the ground at about quarter too. Good to know what that was for now!

By the time I arrived on foot, at about 5 to 3, it had all settled down, and there was one Wycombe kid, who must have been 15-16 in handcuffs! And about 20 police all around!

Did look a bit comedy for a kid who I've heard being a bit mouthy before, but fairly harmless.

• I was dismayed at the final whistle to hear a group of so called Wycombe fans mouthing off regarding "getting in to them" "ave the Luton" unfortunately it was some of the usual (low life) specimens who have been around for many years, plus some new young recruits. Appeared to me to be father and son which I find particularly depressing. I doubt if the pond life actually were brave enough to tackle any Luton fans that remotely wanted to fight back. I certainly hope they were all mouth.

• The only morons I saw at the match were in the away end. One chubby chap who arms wide wanted to take on the whole Frank Adams stand and the other who thought we came to see his rather shit ball juggling skills near the end.

• Morris_Ital. Oxford, Luton, etc.... do not have the only morons. The Valley end have a collection of low lives. Some have been banned but this has either expired or turnstile operators do not have the where with-all to enforce the bans. That said for the first time this season my season ticket was taken off me to be scanned. Be interesting to know why.

• It's been a while since I've been in the valley end but I don't doubt we have exactly the same proportion of idiots as in the general population

• I thought the police presence was fairly big for a middling fixture but I assume TVP had done their homework, much like they did to justify their operations pre and post-Oxford. A reasonably large group of fans from the Valley End stormed out at the end to have a frank exchange of words with the local prod, presumably something to do with said incident earlier on. Oh well, Brizzle Rovers at the end of the month...

• Did I read something about hoping that attendance would improve?

• any reason there was a Police van parked at a very odd angle right near the Valley terrace after the game? Almost like a road block!