Skip to content

Left Foot, Right Foot, Header

Easy one this one.

What is your all-time favourite Wanderers goal scored by:
1) Right foot
2) Left foot
3) Header?

Comments

• There can only be one choice for the header: Westy's diving header from Scotty's cross at Wembley v Kidderminster.

One of the great Wembley goals.

• Right foot. Dave Carroll v Preston in the play off final

Header. Mark Wests diving header against Kiddy in the 91 trophy final

Left foot. My memory might be dodgy on this one but he certainly went tearing off down the left wing. Guppy scoring the 5th against Runcorn at the big promotion party in 93

• Im going to narrow the process for my own selections and say that the goals had to be witnessed in person:

1) Right: Russell Martin vs Macclesfield in the 5-4 loss in 2006. That game was pure drama (3-0 down after 15. Claw it back and then capitulate at the end to a Jon 'the beast' Parkin brace who should have had a hatful) and was the equaliser if I remember correctly. An absolute thunderbolt into the top corner.

2) Left: Chris Vinnicombe vs Brentford. 5-3 win in 2001. Another humdinger of a match, a sumptuous curling effort into the top corner (I was right behind it so could fully appreciate the swerve) from another unlikely source. Starting to doubt this was a left foot shot now though unless it was outside of the boot.

3) Header: Chris Zebroski/Own goal at Darlington. 2-1 win in 2009. There have been better headers scored, particularly ones on target, but wins for its last gaspness, sheer importance in keeping the promotion push on track and the fact it made a ridiculously long Tuesday night trip feel so worth it.

I'm sure I've missed some glaringly obvious ones, so I look forward to reading your selections.

• @leeronhagg that Martin goal was a left footer

• No it wasn't..... lier. Brown's wonder goal against col u

• header is obviously Essandoh. Don't know how it can be anything other

• Right foot: Hayes pen in the 90th+12 minute last April vs Exeter at home to break the Tuesday night curse.
    Header: essandoh if not just for the sheer pantomime of it all.
    Left foot: going back a bit now and I think it might have been a right foot but there was a Stefan Oakes free kick at home sent into the top corner....

• @Midlander said:
    leeronhagg that Martin goal was a left footer

Errr...image

• Are you thinking of the Doncaster league cup game?

Proper thunderbastard that one

Left foot: Garner at Wembley
    Right foot: Hakan Hayrettin v Preston
    Header: Essandoh

• a40a40
    edited February 2016

Just watched the Runcorn highlights back, marvellous stuff. Guppy's was the fourth. Hutch got the fith.
    How could I forget Essandoh's header too, certainly up there with Westy's Wembley stunner

• For the header I'm going back to John Kerr's diving header to make it 3-3 near the end at Loakes Park against (I think) Kidderminster after we were 3-0 down. Think I jumped as high as the gasworks when it went in. (All or some of that may be inaccurate - but that's how I remember it!)

• Essandoh's header. There's no objective, or even subjective discussion to be had is there?!?

• Deffo Essandoh

• Header must be Essandoh.

Right foot - Paul McCarthy sliding in to prod home Danny Bulman's mis hit shot at Selhurst Park.

• If we're going real big game goals, as well as Essandoh for the header, Easter for a right foot, home v Chelsea has to have a shot. The noise after that goal was monumental.

Steve Brown 30 yard screamer v Col U a shout for the leftie? Or even one of Sam Wood's ridiculous 45 yarders.

• Does Danny Bulmans debut goal fit in to this debate anywhere?

• Somewhere between the left & right foot I would say.

• Left foot - Mickey Bell v Millwall, 30 yard screamer to secure a 1-0 win against a table topping side as John Gregory master minded our great escape