Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• Allsop gets the no. 1 shirt. Let's hope he lives up to its high recent standards.

• Anyone who claims we're not a better side with Marcus Bean in it is a fool.

And that's not opinion, it's fact.

• First 20 minutes as one-sided as I've seen for a long time, but same old story, no cutting edge.

• Correct. Who's getting a goal for us here? We waste all our early chances with powder puff finishing and the confidence wanes

As an aside, the referee is staggeringly annoying.

• To be fair, this Luton side have adopted Gaz's time wasting tactics to great effect. Laughable how many Wycombe supporters are furious about it.

• Can we convert Harriman back to a loan? A classic effort while on loan, nothing since.
    Lack of cutting edge and inability to create or finish is embarrassing and down to GA's recruitment

• Well that was bloody awful.

• Will we ever score at home again? On the evidence of what we have seen since Christmas the answer is clearly no.

• It's blatantly obvious to every Blues fan we need a new striker who can actually score from time to time. We made over £750,000 from the cup and Matt Ingram,yes we have debts but surely we can bring one in on loan. I await Ainsworth's usual comments about us being unlucky and any other day we could have had a hatfull,so the usual crap after another poor defeat.

• Really poor second half. No clue. Players AND management on this occasion.
    Special mention to Bloomers a player I always like but failed to learn for 90 mins that each time he grabbed a player there It was a foul. Also AAH that's it for me. Defended him time and time again but if he can't be bothered neither can I.

• When you're behind ugwu in the pecking order I wouldn't bother either.

• @robin I think you are optimistic about how much we made on Ingram plus Villa. However, we do need to find a loanee who could offer a threat in front of goal. At the moment we have to keep a clean sheet to have any kind of chance for points.

• Another poor afternoon at AP. First 30 minutes comfortably the better side, but no cutting edge. Second half Luton grew in confidence. I had a dig at Ugwi last week and he scored, this week I saw nothing to convince me he his a League 2 striker. Not sure who posted that Bean makes us better, I thought O'Nien changed for the better when he came on. In truth I am really struggling for motivation to get to home games now.

• Bean and O'Nien should BOTH be playing.

• Agreed mooneyman. I admire Bloomers effort and loyalty but time for him to have a break.

• If O'Nien and either Thompson or Wood don't both start at Dagenham on Tuesday I'll be very surprised. Bloomfield is absolutely infuriating - plays brilliantly one week then awful the next - he's like a pendulum. Ugwu only ever plays well for the first 10 mins he's on. And I'd far prefer to see those appearances from the sub's bench, if nothing else is working.

• Very frustrating to watch at the moment. Wasteful finishing. A lack of ideas when we go behind.

Today was an improvement on the last three home games. But four home defeats without a single goal is truly shit however you look at it.

Luton looked a mid table team but having taken the lead they defended well and should have had two or three goals on the break.

One of Paul Hayes' most ineffective games for us.

Another terrible afternoon at home. I think this will be the fourth consecutive season where our home record has been either average or below average. Is it any wonder crowds continue to hover around 3500...

• Taking Paris off was a big mistake. Maybe he was feeling a niggle but if he wasn't then it was madness taking him off. When he left the field we had no width at all down the right.

• You can play 10 strikers up front if you wish but with no service you are wasting your time. Which makes taking PCH off totally baffling unless he is not match fit. Harriman on the right is not as effective as he is on the right, therefore Woody coming on would have been the better switch surely if PCH is not fit enough yet.
    With regards to the chances we had these were not half chances, they were gilt edged meat and drink chances. Bloomers aversion to hitting a barn door has blighted his career since day 1. Harriman 2015 would have nailed that chance. Hayes ability to get no where near a chance is now becoming quite tedious.
    Ozzie is an effort player I'll give him that. But signing a guy who scored five goals last season (all from about 1 yard out from what I have seen) was simply papering over the cracks of our total non-scoring squad.
    Mid-table mediocrity is about it for us now. If there is a goalscoring gem out there waiting for a loan fine but unless he gets service he may as well stay where he is.

• Maybe the staleness of the second half wiped my memory a bit, but I could only remember the Harriman run and shot really. Now I remember the Bloomy just wide effort.

But apart from that, a worrying lack of any creation. They smashed and grabbed with a surprisingly quality shot and that was that.

It's no surprises that (pre today) the only 5 teams who have scored less than us...are the bottom 5!

• A nailed on nil nil draw ruined by a goalie waving at a long range shot.

• edited February 2016

First 20 minutes I couldn't see anything but a comfortable win for us, but all those missed chances (don't forget McCarthy unmarked from the corner as well) and confidence just ebbed away.

Paul Hayes was awful up front, doing his wasteful flicks with every ball and Ugwu is simply a waste of time - Conference south standard at best.

It's no wonder we look so tired - a tiny squad that can't keep the ball for more than two passes.

• Was it just me or should Alsop have gone better for the goal?

Got a decent hand to it but seemed to just palm it into the corner....

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh....

• First 15mins we were excellent, good passing football, 3 or 4 good chances (but failed to test their keeper with any of them), 2nd 15 mins we were decent, still passing it about nicely, but lacking creativity. After that we faded badly. After that 30 minute spell, it's hard to pick out any impressive performances, McCarthy was perhaps the only one who played well.

As for the subs, I don't think anyone could complain about Paris coming off, he played well in the 1st half, but was poor in the 2nd, although granted we did lack width when he went off. I know he was not on the bench, but perhaps Kretch would have been a good option to have? Onien had plenty of energy when he came on, but his passing was woeful. I prefer Blooms & Bean in midfield myself, although neither played particuarly well today.

• prince think you are being realy harsh it hit the underside of the bar and went in .thought allsop had a good game made 2 good saves to keep us iin with a shout .got to spend some money on wages and bring a striker in.we were ok for 20 then we are short on ideas ,mid table at best with this home form ,away form so much better seriously hate watching at home much prefer away days.to many older players not able to last 90 and when hayes goes off we are rubbish .paris will get stronger as he plays more but we are not anywhere near the quality of last years squad unfortunately ,so we win some we lose some.

• I don't really understand your comment that the squad is weaker this year Deardsie. The defence pre Ingram's departure is basically the same other than McCarthy for Mawson. I think McCarthy is at least as good as Mawson.

The midfield I agree is lacking Saunders, but how many games did he actually play. O'Nien was a good signing and not far short of Scowen's ability and the rest are more or less the same as last year.

The strikers this year are poor but McGlure, Craig and Ephraim were not exactly prolific last year.

The squad on paper is not weaker, the fact is that the likes of Wood, Hayes and Holloway are knowhere near their form last year.

• Agree @mooneyman that a lot of players are not playing at the level they did last year. But onien is nowhere near as good as Scowen I'm afraid. Scowen's ability to get the ball down and play got us going many times last season. Likewise, Mawson was better bringing the ball out than Macca or Pierre.

We lack players with the ability to pick a decent pass into the forwards.

• @Glenactico said:
    Agree mooneyman that a lot of players are not playing at the level they did last year. But onien is nowhere near as good as Scowen I'm afraid. Scowen's ability to get the ball down and play got us going many times last season. Likewise, Mawson was better bringing the ball out than Macca or Pierre.

We lack players with the ability to pick a decent pass into the forwards.agree with you on that.

• I don't think the problem lies with either the personnel or certain players' form, though the latter certainly hasn't helped. For me the blame lies with the style of football. Last season we played it on the deck far more, even though the pitch was in a worse condition. Other sides also weren't so aware how to counter our pressing style as they are now. For me that's what's been so disappointing about this campaign - we're just far too one dimensional and not playing to our players' strengths.

• I think Bean and O'Nien would be a better bet in Midfield than Bloomy and Bean...two stoppers or a stopper and a more creative players seems a no brainer to me. What about PCH and AAH up front? I think we will struggle if GA uses Harriman out of the position where he has been scoring goals! Handball penalty not given and disallowed goal so poor as it was, we were not out of it by any means. The timing of subs is still an issue for me. Blooms should have come off at half-time.