Skip to content

Playing rugby on a football pitch

If you were ever in doubt, the pitch at the DW Stadium, Wigan has been destroyed tonight. After heavy rain over several days Wigam played Catalan Dragons tonight in Superleague and the pitch was carved to pieces. It won't recover this season and will probably hamper any hope Wigan Athletic have on gaining promotion. Shame, because Central Park used to be a great stadium for rugby league.

Comments

• I wonder if the hoofball at home is a deliberate tactic to protect the pitch for the run in, get to early March with a pristine pitch then fool the opposition by playing neat tidy balls to feet along the ground.

Then again maybe not...

• Interesting to hear that rugby league causes pitch problems. I've always assumed it's the scrums and line outs of union that cause much of the problem.

On another point I'm not sure our pitch is as good as some thought with no rugby.

• why blame rugby its more to do with weather damage why people always anti rugby grow up seriously

• Not so clever Trevor. You really are clueless aren't you. Rugby matches ALWAYS wreck football pitches, especiafter wet weather.

• Come on Trevor, even a man of your sheer bloody mindedness can see that a whole squad of 15-20stone hulks wrestling for prolonged spells on certain patches, couple with the nature of the game being one where the idea is to smash and slide people to the floor...

is gonna seriously ruck a pitch up.