Skip to content

Stability

Last season's success was built upon a remarkably stable defence, with Ingram, Jacobson, Pierre, Mawson and Jombati playing the vast majority of matches together. In fact it was when Jombati was injured in the second half of the season our form disintegrated, if memory serves correct.

This season we've played with a remarkable variety of defensive line-ups. It's hard to recall two games when we've kept the same players together - and when we have a couple of them have often swapped positions within defence. It's been a great testament to the personnel we've used that our defence has remained as tight as it has.

However this week's business hopefully gives us the opportunity to implement a stable defence that only changes because of injury and suspension. In my opinion Allsop, Jacobson, Pierre, McCarthy and Jombati should be the first names on the team sheet every week. It's tough on Stewart but McCarthy is just too good a central defender to be played out of position at full back. With those five (assuming Allsop is all that) I can't see us conceding more than the odd goal each game. A real platform to push for promotion.

Comments

• Agree.

• Trouble is I can't see us scoring more than the odd goal each game either. So win some, lose some, draw several more

• agree... lets just hope Paris can add that missing spark!

• Any prospect do you think when all are fit of Ainsworth choosing Wood LM, PCH RM and moving Harriman to complete a very strong back four?

• I think there's more of a prospect of PCH being used as a second striker with one of Hayes or Thompson. While Harriman moving to right back would probably make this the strongest back five we've ever fielded, it would also be a waste of a really strong attacking threat in a side not already overburdened with it.

• I disagree Dev. Harriman is wasted in the back four...as Sam was when we had to play him at LB...we need to pass the ball to Harry and let him run at defences. We seem to have an embarrassment of riches in defence, I would rather see PCH playing up front, of just behind a striker, with either Hayes or Thompson to add a bit of threat and pace to our attack. It's a shame about Stewart, but at least we are reasonably covered for defenders should there be some injuries. I prefer McCarthy to Sido at RB to be honest. Controversial I know.

• Harriman RB, PCH RW would be a very threatening right side and I can see it happening at some point. I'd rather have McCarthy alongside Pierre at centre back.

You'd have to feel for Jombati who has been tremendous since joining if he loses his first team place.

I think Thompson is actually pretty pacey. It would be interesting to see the results of a race amongst the team. My money would be on Pierre.

• No need to use Harriman in defence at all?! Keep him as a pacey winger and utilise PCH upfront with one of the old boys. Harriman has the energy to get back and help defend if needed anyway...

• "While Harriman moving to right back would probably make this the strongest back five we've ever fielded..."

No pressure Ryan. Maybe stick "strongest back four we've ever fielded" for now... I would leave Harriman wide right myself, he's often been our most useful attacking outlet this season. It's nice to actually have options though.

• Harriman is second-top goalscorer and number one provider of assists in a team that finds scoring goals quite difficult.

So no, I wouldn't move him to right back.

• Harriman would be a waste at full back. Especially with more than capable full backs on the books. Really hope to see McCarthy continue at centre back and I'd play Paris upfront.