Skip to content

Premier League B teams

It seems this topic is still alive and Football League clubs (bar Wimbledon) have voted to allow Premier B teams to compete in the Johnstone's Paint trophy.

Here's some stuff from the Dons' Trust...

"There was also discussion about that day’s Football League (FL) meeting which was understood to have authorised the FL executive to finalise proposals to allow Premier League ‘B’ teams to enter the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, with AFC Wimbledon being the only League Two club to vote against."

http://thedonstrust.org/2015/02/23/february-dons-trust-board-meeting-summary/

Comments

• Yet another reason not to attend JPT games.

Pretty baffled that all other League Two clubs accepted it including Wycombe. What's in it for them? Surely Wycombe against Hull's B team is just going to be dreadful attendance home and away for both clubs.

I'd personally love to see the JPT and the League Cup scrapped, so that the FA cup gets some of its magic back.

• It was just authorisation to finalise the proposals, right?

I imagine most League two clubs want to see how large a bribe solidarity payment they'll get before they decide if its worth completely devaluing the JPT.

• Either Premier League clubs have always yearned to win every trophy under the sun each year and this represents their only means of achieving that goal vis a vis the JPT, or this is the thin end of the wedge. Call me cynical, but I reckon it´s the latter and that having established the principle of B Teams playing competitive matches under the Football League umbrella, they will go for entry into the pyramid soon.

• @Ed_ said:
    Either Premier League clubs have always yearned to win every trophy under the sun each year and this represents their only means of achieving that goal vis a vis the JPT, or this is the thin end of the wedge. Call me cynical, but I reckon it´s the latter and that having established the principle of B Teams playing competitive matches under the Football League umbrella, they will go for entry into the pyramid soon.

God forbid, but I fear you are right ,I wonder if the increase in the solidarity payment had some strings .

• Jesus wept. You'd struggle to see how they'd make this competition less attractive, but...oh, they just managed it against all odds. Unless the away games are played at the (90% empty) grounds of the relevant prem sides, in which case Tommy Tickoffs everywhere will be creaming themselves.

Agree with the "thin end of the wedge" view and that it's probably just the Football League being held over a barrel for cash yet again.

• Can't wait to play West Brom B away on a cold Tuesday night in a small field somewhere on the outskirts of Coventry, for the chance to reach round two of the prestigious JPT against Southampton B.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/010280870889300.jpg

• I think the board should explain themselves. Did they or didn't they vote for this and what's in it for us if they did. Come on Mr Howard speak up! The fans deserve to know.

• edited March 2015

Ridiculous proposal. This is another nail in the coffin for lower league clubs. Introduce the Premiership 'B' teams into the pyramid, we might as well just just give up and go home. Was there any consultation with our own fans? Good on Wimbledon for standing up and opposing this proposal. It's a pity our own Trust appears not to have any teeth or sense of it actually belonging to the fans, in my opinion.

• All it means is that Man City or Chelsea reserves winning it each year and get another trip to Wembley.

• Why is it that a supposedly fan owned club knows nothing about such an important vote prior to the Board making this decision? Yet again members are left in the dark and not consulted.

• Good point. The answer may be along the lines of Andrew Howard's response to Ian Blacklidge regarding consultation of Trust members on the question of artificial pitches - ie agreement at this stage is only in principle and limited to the IDEA (don't know how to underline!) of Premiership B sides being included pending formulation of detailed proposals.

As you can see, I am clutching at straws here because I think it is important to avoid negatvity about the way things are now being handled and there seemed to be a general acceptance at last week's Trust meeting of the need for better communication with members on matters other than those where confidentiality was inevitable for business or legal reasons. Several of the candidates for election made this point.

It would be good to have a statement from the Trust Board.

• @micra I don't think you're clutching at straws at all. Asking the Trust to consult fans over the decision to authorise the FL to finalise a proposal is ridiculous.

• edited March 2015

I propose we use the poll feature to decide whether we should propose to the Trust that they propose a transparent strategy to the supporters regarding proposal disclosure.

• Will the JPT winner get into Europe?

• Wish they would resurrect the Anglo-Italian Cup.

• Thanks for that. As it turns out, I wasn't clutching at straws! Nothing has happened yet that could con ceivably justify consultation with Trust members. And even if discussion had progressed further, I think we have to have faith in our elected representatives to make the right decisions on our behalf - at least in matters like the format of the league trophy and the case for artificial pitches. Sorry Eddie, wherever you may be.

• I'll hold onto my share cache monies till, I get the full picture on a Fan owned club, actually means. There was me thinking that such proposals, as artificial pitches and "B" teams involved in cup competitions, would be a remit to discuss with its Trust/fans member base.

• How quaint.