Skip to content

Match day thread: Villa (Replay)

2»

Comments

• And how many wasted chances will it take to get those?!

Perhaps a slight aftertaste of bitterness about last night in that...

• The most proud moment for me was the reaction of the fans when the second goal went in. To a man, everyone stood spontaneously to sing a glorious rendition of 'We love you Wycombe, we do'. It moved my little lad to tears and I must say there was a little something in my eye too.

They gave everything last night. It was another special night to add to the mental scrapbook.

• A real good night and very proud of our team. We do need a pace man though but maybe we can get a loanee in now.
    What was up with Holloway at the end of the game? He walked straight off with no recognition of the fantastic support.

• I hope Ainsworth boots him out, another Banton me thinks.

• All I can say is absolutely fantastic performance from everyone in a Wycombe shirt for the whole 90 minutes. Never stopped all night. And as for the team on the pitch....................

YOU ARE A TOTALLY AND UTTERLY FANTASTIC TEAM

So proud to be a Wycombe supporter today.......

COYB

• This is what Holloway put on twitter for those who dont having access to it

• Not really good enough. He should have left out the bit about being frustrated about the 'little part he got to play'.

• He is human and he is young and inexperienced. I don't really buy the "forgot" line but I don't think he needs to be pilloried to much for making a bit of a tit of himself once.

More importantly is why he plainly is so frustrated and out of sorts. The lad has talent but this season hasn't shown that talent enough. It is the life of the footballer to sometimes be out of the team. The only way to get back in is to work hard and take opportunities when they come. I wonder if AAH has the right state of mind to do so at present.

Maybe it would benefit the lad to get away and clear his head. A loan spell to a conference team where he can play every week might be the right solution? If it goes well he might just come back ready to deliver on the promise shown at the end of last season and may earn a starting place and a new contract. As it stands with his apparent current state of mind and consequent form, it is hard to see where AAH will be playing next season.

• 21st Century storm in a tea cup.

And totally deflecting from the real issue with Holloway. How do we get back the destructive, skillful striker we had at the back end of last season? I'd love to have him back.

Clapping the fans at the end of the game is totally discretionary in my opinion. Plenty of Wycombe fans are heading for the exits in any case.

All I want is last seasons Aaron Holloway back and this type of rubbish (with him involved by the look of it) is not helping that. How can a great night last night pull up debates like this?

• While I realise you like to be controversial Righty, isn't it fairly obvious that the frustration Holloway is exhibiting storming off last night and the text on twitter is related to why he is not performing on the field.

• Agreed that a loan spell might be ideal for him.

• Give the bloke a break.

• Hi @DevC . Re reading my post and not sure what you find 'controversial'. Not bothered in debating it but I do wonder if you actually read it or just assumed it.

I saw Holloway leave the pitch last night. He wasn't alone in not stopping to applaud the fans and most certainly didn't storm off. I've no idea what is the cause behind is current form but if you think it's that obvious it might be worth contacting the manager as I'm sure he's like a fully firing Aaron Holloway.

Just to make this very basic. I think applauding the support after a game, big or small, is down to each player. It should never be a club edict (like I think the thanking fans on Twitter is) and each player should be respected for doing as they please. It should be noted some players (Ainsworth being a notable example) have managed to get good relationships with fans by acknowledging the support after a game. It's good PR but it only really helps when you are not performing on the pitch and the fans give you a bit more of a break.

Aaron Holloway can applaud or not applaud the fans after a game. That's is choice. I will support him while he wears our shirt regardless of this. I have no idea why it is an issue with others.

• He was very much alone in his exit.

• Talk about a storm in a teacup. Poor bloke has had all sorts of injury problems in his short career, he's struggling for form, he'd just lost a big match and now he's got halfwits haranguing him on the Internet.

It beggars belief that people have found an opportunity to inject negativity into what's been a great couple of occasions for us.

One final point for those who are fetishising the post match applause to the crowd. Surely it's the very fact that players are free to do so or not that makes it worthwhile? If it was compulsory it would mean literally nothing at all. A meaningless ritual

• Don't be an arse Righty.

Meanwhile back to AAH, the trend for players applauding the fans has come in over the last 20 years, like it or not. Its a little odd, often its not really clear what they re applauding us for (well done you succeeded in driving safely from home to the ground and then standing without falling over for two hours - that's got to worth a clap) but the fact is it exists. It is so commonplace as to be expected, players know that and hence by definition not doing so is a statement in itself.

But as I have said above, he's a young kid who's made a small mistake and made himself look a bit of an arse. we all do that. Its hardly a hanging offence.

We all would love to see the promise of last season show itself again. If it does he could have a good career. I am sure most if not all will support him to achieve this. It is also clear something is wrong with his mindset at present, last night was just a culmination. In his own interests and the club, that needs to be resolved soon, either by an arm round the shoulder, a loan or regrettably by the lad moving on elsewhere

• I'm still up North but catching up on the thread. Does anybody know who the bloke in the Doug Ellis was that spent the entire game singing swearing songs in the direction of the Villa twelve year old lads. Mate your use of fcuk and tawt/cnut made you an embarrassment to the traditional way we do things at Wycombe. Have a good look at yourself and grow up.

• Did anyone say anything to him?

• All the papers seem to think Sam Wood played very well...however I assume richmayes has a list of his failures to hand.

• Every season there is at least one fall-guy, not fit to be a professional footballer, conference standard at best. Remember Russell Martin fulfilled that role in his last season before an upward move and on to the premier league and international football.

Football supporters, and humans in general in fact, have a tendency to see what they expect to see. This season too many expect to see Sam Wood playing badly.

• Fat lad in an old vandenell yellow and blue rugby style top. The villa kids were just as bad though.

• I might fault some tactics and subs, but I reckon we've got a really decent squad who all give their all. I don't think Sam should be any sort of scapegoat and I find it counter-productive for fans to do so, People may make mistakes, but I see none of the ambing about and indifference that marked 'the Torquay Season'. And though we know we've got players who can play it on the floor...we have to also take into account there are two teams on the pitch and the opposition might not want us to!

• I thought Sam Wood had a pretty decent game last night, worked his socks off and was involved in our best attacking moments.

• M3GM3G
    edited January 2016

Sam's passing has been a bit off recently. Just an observation. But no one can ever deny he effort he puts in over 90 mins.

• I thought Sam Wood put in a good shift last night. Good technique for his shot in the first half and alot of closing down space down the left hand side.
    It's tricky when his previous levels were really high and he dips a bit but for me that's life. For others it's a reason to abuse and I think that's a real shame.

I thought the support for the team last night was pretty good. Never easy when split in to two groups. I did though think some of the Villa abuse was pretty pathetic though. The incident mentioned above was embaressing for the guy concerned but there were a few pointless chants directed at supporters who could see what was being pointed out quite clearly and weren't ever going to react.

• Wood started the season off form but is improving. Unlucky not to have a goal and assist last night and also smartly played in JJ to cross for Thompson's first half header.

As for Holloway, he is not doing enough on the pitch at the moment. I don't know what the fix is but I suspect he won't get a contract at the end of the season if he doesn't improve. I find it disappointing when players don't acknowledge the efforts of the supporters at 90 minutes. I also think it helps breed a good spirit if the squad and supporters are seen to win and lose together. However, it was one mistake and I don't see any reason to go over board. His comments suggests he recognises it was a little thoughtless. If he were sulking around and making a point of heading straight down the tunnel after every game that might be an issue.

• Just watched Gareth's post match interview on Player. Reading between the lines, it looks like last night and the Life Academy are our advertisements to the Premier to send us their youngsters. He also mentioned the loan system changing next year. Any ideas what those changes are?

• @niebieski I think the impending loan system change is that it will be possible to sign loan players only during the same transfer window as it is possible to make permanent signings. It will no longer be possible to bring someone in on loan outside of the two official transfer periods.

• we need somebody to send us a decent forward who can score a goal, Jason McCarthy is a wonderful player and realises that what he is learning here cannot be bought for him. He puts in a shift every game and oozes quality and was the last player down the tunnel after clapping every supporter whole heartedly.