Skip to content

The Opposition View

What good old Ronnie Moore and the Pools' fans had to say about the game...

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=430887

Comments

• Sounds like we deserved something from the game but fair play to both sides for working their hardest.

• Ronnie Moore as gallant as always. The stats say his keeper had to make at least 7 saves, maybe those present can say whether he really had much work to do. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go, sounds like we gave them a good hammering in the second half but it was just one of those games. Over the past few seasons there's been a few games where we've got the early goal and then frustrated higher rated opponents and held on for a 1-0, so we'll have to take stock, not get too disheartened and get ready for the (hopefully) excitement of Tuesday's mission.

• Just popped back from Fans Facebook page! What absolute balderdash most of the "discussion" on there is.
    Interesting comments from Monkey Hangers. Also, educational. I'd no idea what a bellend was (as one of their fans described the referee - Mark Brown for future reference) but having googled it, I now know that it is not a village in Worcestershire.

• 'Balderdash ' is being kind. I've started avoiding the Facebook page due to some of the unfair comments regarding our own players

• @Vital; When you say no "end product", I assume this refers to the whole team and not singling any particular player ? As a number of team shot at their keeper who unfortunately saved those on target. Considering a not so productive first half, listening to the match, I thought the 2nd half we might manage an equaliser.

• @micra How have you never heard that word before? Common usage.

• @micra I always thought it meant Ronnie Moored.

• @Ciderk1d Did you go the game? You reference 'numerous shots' but then also claimed you listened to the game?

Other than the save from Pierre's header, which most professional keepers would expect to save, Carson wasn't troubled. Lots of hopeful balls into the box with no one on the end of them and balls trickling out tamely for a goal kick was pretty much the extent of our 2nd half bombardment. We had most of the possession but no end product and if any team were more likely to score it was probably Hartlepool catching us on the break.

• if any team were more likely to score it was probably Hartlepool catching us on the break.

Rubbish.

• pissed off with Wood, got booked for a stupid tackle in the first half then didn't breathe on anybody afterwards incase he got sent off and missed his big night. I hope his contract isn't renewed as he has been diabolical this season and is ready to move on.

• edited January 2016

@Croider; In my post I said "listening", that gives it away. I have ofc watched the Player highlights today.

Regarding the post itself, I was asking Vital about "no end product" as in a particular player or team ? because I thought he was directing that to a certain player as the team overall produced no end product aka no goals.

I am usual one of many to have a moan, but from what I heard and saw Player) the lads gave it the all, I would be worried more if we didn't create the number of chances we did.

Thanks @Croider for the "I was there analysis", I got a better understanding of the match.

• Wood was poor, Thompson borderline annoymous and Bloomfield the same. O Nien tried his heart out until the last second a few of out so called better players could take a few lessons from him about desire.

• @richmayes999; I'm not a Wood's fanboi but Wood 99% of the time is box to box and gets into great POMO. Sooner or later Wood's going to score a cracker of the season.

• Sooner I hope.

• since when did being box to box make you a good player.

• @bill_stickers - I ain't common mate. Didn't say I 'adn't 'eard it. Just never bovvered to look it up. I shall of course now use it freely at every opportunity.
    Just you wait Mr Deadman.

• @richmayes999; The teams Ainsworth puts out each week, mainly looks at keeping up a high intensity and pressure over slickness/flair in a demanding physical League.

I totally understand why Wood is one of the first names on the team sheet. Wood mimics what Ainsworth is looking for in all our players and it's a tough ask to repeat each week, which Wood can quite easily, yeap Wood's contribution has grown on me and he won me a few bob too.

• Maybe you weren't watching Chris but Hartlepool carved us right open a couple of times in the 2nd half. One shot was destined for the bottom corner before Stewart managed to get across in the nick of time to deflect it wide.

For all our huffing and puffing we didn't come close to scoring, unlike the Stevange game for example where I reckon we could have nicked an equalizer if there was another 10 mins to go. The only reason we maintained so much pressure yesterday was that Hartlepool dropped very deep and were obviously very nervous having not won for ages.

Pumping long balls to Holloway and Ugwu to challenge for wasn't working and we didn't create much, other than chaotic goalmouth scrambles.

• I think it's you that wasn't watching if you seriously think Hartlepool were more likely to score than us. Ask any of the Hartlepool fans, or indeed Gareth Ainsworth.

Yes, Hartlepool had a few chances on the break (as you'd expect) but we dominated, had a 99% sure penalty turned down (hey, sometimes you get lucky like last week, and sometimes you don't), and had plenty of balls flash across the box which could have been knocked in. Chaotic goalmouth scrambles are chances aren't they? Next time we score from one, we should probably discount it.

• Well football's a game of opinions and I think you're wrong.

• Me and everyone else at the game.

• I agree we had pressure and scrambles that maybe a Jamie Cureton or somebody of the ilk would have converted as they can go cold at the right time.

• Maybe the striker Richardmayes said we were bringing in would've scored

• 'I was there', and I'd say 10 more mins it would have been 1-1 or even 2-1 to us. They were pretty much all in their own penalty area, and although they could have caused a scare on the break, they made us look like Brazil from 70 mins onwards. We were passing the ball around short and on the floor, eventually breaching into their box on numerous occasions, only for the ball to ricochet around, everywhere in fact except for across the line. There was a clear penalty shout, and at least one golden chance which Ugwu blazed over, taking too long to shoot.

Overall though he impressed me, as he offered more than the usual pace and effort. It looked like he was asked to shoot on sight, which was refreshing, and he showed glimpses of having a good touch on the ball. He put in one or two crosses which were more threatening than any from our midfielders, and made an effort to link up with balls on the floor from O'Nien in the first half. On a few occasions either one could have been through on goal. He must be reminded though that he is not a professional wrestler and/or rugby player.

First half was pretty dire but not as bad as some recent home games, and second half I genuinely left feeling like we should have had at least a point.

Perfect game for Udumaga to start yesterday, perhaps in hindsight giving Bloomfield/Wood/Harriman a breather.

• I can only assume Sam Wood complained about being short-changed in the shop at some point in the past...