Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage

2»

Comments

• Post match interview with Sam Saunders

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I'd completely forgotten how much I detest Stevenage, and Westley in particular. Horrible, cynical anti-football. A decent ref would have cracked down on them from the moment they went in front and started with the time wasting and play acting, never mind the constant pulling, pushing and general low-level fouling. Glad to have the point in the end but we should have buried them.

Agreed I know football fans are blinkered but surely Stevenage supporters would prefer to watch the game as it should be played rather than what Westley gives them.

• Dirty and ugly football from Boro, ref hopeless but really good from the Blues. Rowe did a good job and Saunders fitted in well with PH and FO. Class first goal, a little surprised that we let Boro get two goals. Said to my mate after 20 mins that someone was going to get sent off and despite the numerous fouls that the ref let slide low and behold Stevenage had a man sent off. Great first 20 and last 10 but we should have closed the game down earlier. And what about Matty!!! One of our own, super Matty Ingram, what a save. Outside of MI and the save I thought Sido was MoM for me but a great team performance and it just shows how much we missed Paul Hayes when he was out. Onwards and upwards COYB!

• The fouling from Stevenage in the 2nd half was just non stop, but the ref seemed to let them get away with half of it. That said, I thought the sending off was soft, though I'd need to see it again. Didn't see much wrong with Hayes's disallowed goal in the 1st half, for me Fred jumped with the keeper not into him and the keeper just dropped it and then fell to the ground hoping for the free kick, whilst in the 2nd half there was a clear foul on Ingram that went unpunished in similar circumstances. Ingram had caught the ball cleanly and only dropped it when the Stevenage player bundled into him. I'd have been furious had they stuck the loose ball in the net.

All that said, it was a terrific game. We really should have won it at the end with the 2 clear chances in injury time, so it would have been sickening had we lost it with the penalty

• @OakwoodExile said:
    May I just say this. I hate, loathe and despise Stevenage, Graham Westley and all his works

Seconded. It's utterly disgraceful the way they approach the game.

• Surprised we didn't make any substitutions as Bloomfield looked dead on his feet in the last 15 minutes.

Murphy's height would have helped too, as the ball was often up in the air in midfield.

Really don't understand what's happened to Murphy. His early season performances are a big miss for us.

• If I had dropped a player, who scored the week before after a win to make way for two players who haven't trained on a Sunday league match, I wouldn't be surprised for wee jab, back at the pub.

Fortunately GA is dealing with professionals. But honestly I bet a few players are miffed.

• LenLen
    edited March 2015

@Ciderk1d If you mean McClure, he failed a late fitness test with a hamstring strain to keep up his usual cycle - miss 6 sitters - score - get injured - repeat...

• McClure tweeted he'd taken a knock.

• Can't understand why McClure gets so much stick. He gets in positions to score, unlike Holloway and Craig. They could both do with missing a few chances as well. Over a sustained period of several seasons McClure has kept up a goal ratio of around 1 in 4, despite many of his opportunities coming from the bench. In my view that is not bad.

• @Glenactico said:
    Can't understand why McClure gets so much stick. He gets in positions to score, unlike Holloway and Craig. They could both do with missing a few chances as well. Over a sustained period of several seasons McClure has kept up a goal ratio of around 1 in 4, despite many of his opportunities coming from the bench. In my view that is not bad.

Are you related as you definitely defend McClure down till the hilt?

I wasn't aware that McClure twitted he picked up a knock. Otherwise I expected him to start.

• Terrible ref...Boro on the dirty side, but two appallingly soft goals and a penalty completely against the run of play. Fred, Hayes, Saunders and Younnis were really good I thought, we created more in very difficult circumstances.
    Ingram got us out of jail big-style!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Terrible ref...Boro on the dirty side, but two appallingly soft goals and a penalty completely against the run of play. Fred, Hayes, Saunders and Younnis were really good I thought, we created more in very difficult circumstances.
    Ingram got us out of jail big-style!

loved Hayes being back bossing the game and I cant knock Freds two goals as for the new boys both showed potential I think even Saunders would admit he needs a bit more game time .

• I suspect Sam Saunders - a quality player with many years experience at league 1 and championship level - might feel a little patronised by the suggestion that he "showed potential"!!

• How many ti> @Morris_Ital said:

loved Hayes being back bossing the game and I cant knock Freds two goals as for the new boys both showed potential I think even Saunders would admit he needs a bit more game time .

Loanees needs more game time, at whos expense? as everybody else in the squad unfortunately wants minutes.

• @micra said:
    I suspect Sam Saunders - a quality player with many years experience at league 1 and championship level - might feel a little patronised by the suggestion that he "showed potential"!!

Not a good choice of words by me, I should have said a potentially good fit into the squad based on where and how they play but instead I just took the lazy option and posted. apologies

• Rather thought that was what you meant but couldn't resist the quip. No apologies needed.