Skip to content

An amazing club in every way

I have to say our club is showing itself to be amazing in every way in the last two seasons.

Players such as Harriman, Pierre, Jacobson and Hayes signing because they WANT to play for our club and our manager.

Ainsworth proving to be such as great man as well as manager.

The special life house

And now such amazing ticket sales yesterday, beyond anyones expectations on the first day.

Im really proud to be a Wycombe fan, lets go to Villa and have a party....whatever the result

Comments

• Here here!

• Spot on wycombelad.

• Hear hear. - sorry Ewan!!

• PS If it's good enough for Tolkien it's good enough for me. I've desisted from posting for a day or two but you know me. Back in shell now. COYB.

• You need to get out of the hobbit of correcting people's grammar.

• To be really honest I'm finding all this a little odd.

I hoped that there would be a spinoff from Wembley with a noticeable effect on gates.
    Haven't really seen it though.

Last season we couldn't sell out the playoff semi, for me a far bigger game than a 3rd rd cup game, yet it's starting to look that we may take as many to villa than we had at home against Plymouth, even though we are very likely to lose.

Don't get me wrong it's great and all that but I don't really understand.

• the magic of the cup or the Wembley supporters returning for a big game? either way get them there, play well and the potential support is there. This is a game not just for Wycombe based fans...its a cracking venue wherever in the country you live and that is boosting our numbers vastly with huge numbers of exiles getting on it

• you would find it strange. But some people watch football for the romance and glory and don't continually strip it of any joy by reducing it to cold hard economics

each to his own though

• @DevC said:
    To be really honest I'm finding all this a little odd.

I hoped that there would be a spinoff from Wembley with a noticeable effect on gates.
    Haven't really seen it though.

Last season we couldn't sell out the playoff semi, for me a far bigger game than a 3rd rd cup game, yet it's starting to look that we may take as many to villa than we had at home against Plymouth, even though we are very likely to lose.

Don't get me wrong it's great and all that but I don't really understand.

Our fan base expanded hugely during the successful O'Neill era and in the days of regular 6k + crowds, a large number had known little but success. Remember THAT letter to the BFP about how the team failed to kick on at Ketttering after being 4-0 up at halftime. There were others in a similar vein.

I think this is a big reason why we can attract very good crowds for big time games (it's not a small town after all) but have struggled to retain people in the barren years. This applies to all clubs but especially to ours.

The least we can do is be friendly to any newcomers and desist from the old 'I've been to every match since the 70s and am better than you' stuff. It may be true but it's not very helpful.

Also the excellent ticket sales for this match could be down to the fact that (for once) we put on a great show in front of a big crowd.

• I am with DevC on this one. It is great and I hope we take as many as possible next Tuesday. And yet I can't help reflect thsy we only managed to sell 5,500 for the home leg of the play off semi final. And on Boxing Day we couldn't sell more than 800 tickets for the short trip to Luton...( in 93/94 we sold all 2,800 tickets for the Boxing Day fixture at Oxford).

Funny how some 'big' fixtures capture the imagination more than others...no doubt the high national media has heightened the interest in the Villa tie. It does at least illustrate the potential support the club can attract.

• it is an odd approach to take when we have a game that has caught the imagination of the town, new and lapsed supporters alike, and some's immediate response it to have a go at them for not being at another game

with attitudes like that it is perhaps unsurprising that crowds aren't as big as they might be

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    You need to get out of the hobbit of correcting people's grammar.

First I rankled and went to say "if I can't pull a mate's leg......." then, kerplop, I fell in. Nice one MDH.

• Perhaps the low ticket prices are an incentive for families 2 adults, 2 kids from £30?

• It's basically a difference between those who can see the emotion and romance connected to particular games rather than those who just look at the cold hard facts. On paper the play off game is a bigger game but it lacks the texture, context and romance of the Villa game. I hated watching all three play off games last season. They were just too important and as a result tense. The game on Saturday I enjoyed as there was no real pressure and performance outweighed need of result.
    Most people couldn't really say why they fall in love with somone or something. This cup game has something and we are all lucky to be involved.

• I think different things stir different emotions in different people.

• On a slightly different point is this the busiest this or the previous gasroom has ever been outside of ownership/new stadium debates?

• Meanwhile, even a Big Club (copyright every deluded PNL fan ever) like Oxford are struggling to pull in the punters after a sold-out cup tie against Premier League opposition - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/14198899.Oxford_United_call_to_pack_out_the_Kassam_Stadium_again_after__disappointing__sales_for_Bristol_Rovers_clash/

• Eric, to be absolutely clear I am not "have a go at them for not being at another game". I am delighted large numbers are going to the game just as I was delighted that Wembley was well supported.

All I am doing is expressing surprise that this game does seem to have caught the imagination so much compared to other games like the play off game which struck me as a bigger game in itself with a better chance of winning and a bigger prize for winning - the romance of a trip to Wembley.

I am delighted that the game has so caught the imagination, (it can only be a good thing and again brings the possibility that some may start going to league games), but I remain very surprised by it. As Chris says different people react in different ways, personally I was far more excited by the playoffs than this one. Each to their own I suppose.

• Not surprised at all. Winnable game against PL team (if only just) bringing back memories of Fulham and Charlton in '08. For the Charlton match I bought flights only to miss out on getting a ticket. Refused in the home end and spent an hour outside the train station repeating "spare ticket please, anyone with an extra ticket, please..."

• Getting more people in is about catching the imagination, which this game has and hopefully the City game will. I cannot myself understand why the play-off semi game did not sell-out as we were ahead and it looked to me like it would be a great ocassion (as it was) and a chance to celebrate with the team as I could not make the final. Perhaps people were saving their cash for that? We are always going to struggle to get good gates in League Two and League One unless we are consistently pushing for the top, but I think, as wycombelad points out, the players that Gareth is attracting make that, and more attractive football, much more likely than has been the case for a while.

• The Charlton game is an excellent comparison. I travel to Villa on Tuesday with real hope. Its only a punter's chance, but it's a real chance nonetheless

• I read that Andrew Howard Vice Article - https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/meet-andrew-howard-football-chairman-ice-cream-entrepreneur-and-champion-racing-driver

I am aware that he's proved to be a hot-head and had fallings out with some of the fans, but I really think he's right for the club. A good business man, in it for the right reasons and has forged a great working relationship with Ainsworth.