Skip to content

villa park memories

So we return to the scene of arguably our highest level - fa cup semi final. Who would have thought on depressing days at minehead and Maidstone that one day we would get that far.

So what are your memories of that glorious day, pride? Disappointment? All a bit of a blur?

Comments

• Remember not being able to get a beer anywhere at the ground.....

• Too many memories to list them all, but the three that spring most readily to mind:

being livid at Michael Owen diving to try and win a penalty;

holding back the tears after the final whistle sounded (after Keith Ryan scored, I honestly thought we were going to pull level); and

driving home in pouring rain.

• Pre-match I remember how depressing the area immediately around the ground was and being in a pub rammed full of Wycombe and Liverpool supporters watching Arsenal V Spurs, all very good humoured until a chap appeared in a spurs shirt and the Liverpool supporters started giving him some stick.

The game - We all went quiet to listen to Liverpool singing "You'll never walk Alone" , and responded by singing the usual "who the f*ck are you".

Michael Owen Diving...3 times in the first 15 minutes.

The hope when Ryan scored.

Dissappointed and Pride at the final whistle.

Leaving the ground and Liverpool supporters saying "Well done Wycombe" etc.

• My memory is of pain - real pain.

Woke up that morning with a trapped nerve in my neck. Really shouldn't have travelled but it was the cup semi final.....

500 mile round trip in agony and with the proviso that at junctions I could only turn left, couldn't turn my head to see traffic coming from the left if I wanted to go right.

Pride at the game until Rhino scored. For 0.13 seconds as I leapt from my seat , pure ecstasy. Then the pain set in. I have a mate who boxed to a decent level, apparently that could hurt a bit, my wife tells me that childbirth can sting a little but believe me nothing compares to the exquisite agony of celebrating a rhino goal.

It was a long trip home....

• My overriding memory was walking away from the ground in the rain devastated by the loss and trying to block out the glory supporters around me talking about how it had been a "great day out".

• The emotion of seeing the players come on the pitch that day with Brownie with his little lad (Maxwell?), particularly after what happened at Leicester the previous round.

And seeing Simmo standing gazing up at the Wycombe fans after the game, perhaps knowing that would be the greatest occasion of his career. Very emotional day, but mostly of pride. Particularly, living in Oxford, wearing my shirt to work on the Monday and passing another guy wearing his in the city centre and sharing a big smile.

• Lets hope this time we leave with the victory........Magical day particularly when they ended up with Owen, Heskey AND Fowler on the pitch to break down the Blues........

• I was living in Belgium at the time, and my wife was due to give Birth any time, so wasn't given a pass out to attend. Remember though driving to the Belgium coast, as could pick up Radio 5 to listen to the game.

• I hope you named the baby after every member of the team.........But that is dedication!

• Didn't they have to bring a young Steven Gerrard on as well ?

• One of the worst games I've seen supporting Wycombe.

• edited January 2016

He was 20 and broke into the 1st team in 2000.

• Heskey coming on made a difference that day as well, which tends to be forgotten because he wasn't the "best midfielder in the world" (tm)

• I rermember my brother being asked by a local scally" Will look after your car for a £5"
    Aparantly it still happens..

• @Midlander haha from the man who stormed home in a hissy fit when we lost to Chelsea, and was hoping for a draw over a win against Villa