Skip to content

The big picture

Copy and paste this next bit if I am wrong (I will love the apology)....

I fully expect us to go to Villa Park and be beaten. We over-performed in most areas yesterday and Villa under-performed in ALL areas yesterday, lightening won't strike twice.

However I see that Exeter are saying that their tie is worth £1million. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35272387 Now I can see the numbers for yesterday being comparable for us £250k. But the replay is going to be nowhere near as much. With TV maybe same again or slightly more. What a fantastic result for the club.

The fun factor around the club was immense yesterday and i was proud to be part of it. You can't put a price on that.

Finally it was a pleasure to be in the Vere Suite after the game yesterday as over half the team came in to see friends and family and were treated to adulation from young and old. JJ is an extraordinary ambassador for our club and a more articulate and decent player i really can't recall in recent years. Thanks so much Shrewsbury for your short-sightedness.

Comments

• I actually think that, assuming Hayes is back, we'll actually perform better in the replay. We tend to play better away from home and we definately play better when Hayes is in the team. That shouldn't be confused with me thinking we'll win, as Villa should still have too much quality for us. I do however think however, it could be a very good game.

• If Bean is fit, I can see him significantly improving the team. In view of Bloomfield's performance yesterday, I wouldn't necessarily replace him with Bean, but it would be great to have him come on off the bench instead of the annonymouse McGinn.

• I think we have every chance of getting a good result at Villa Park. I saw Villa players get off the coach yesterday and they were met by a crowd of villa fans chanting @You're not fit to wear the shirt@ - this is a club in real trouble it will be a game the Villa players will not want or need and if they get off to a bad start their fans will be right on their backs from the off. Just don't write us off is all I would say.

• Fully agree, I think we have a real chance in the replay.

• We must assume we will lose as they will have something to prove...but there is still a glimmer. They certainly did not deserve to win on Saturday.

• Just looking and Liverpool have prices exeter tickets as £17 and £5 so a little extra revenue but not much.

• Exeter were talking 700k from the replay.

I don't get where those numbers come, as I'm sure it's outside of a tv game.

if it was 40,000 at £35, that be 1.4m, and 45% of that is 630k.

So if tickets are the say average of £15 (from 17-5split), x40,000 = 600k and thus 270k a heck of a lot lower than 700!

• Maybe the rest is profit on half-scarves.

• Remember also it's 45 per cent after deducting the expenses of staging the game which in a stadium the size of VP will not be trivial. And you've got to to take off a sixth for VAT.

• A sixth for VAT, can you be my accountant?

• He's right Doc.

£12 ticket to the customer would be £10 to the club supplier plus £2 vat. VAT is therefore 1/6 of the customers price.

• Crikey.

• Thanks @DevC, beat me to it. Work does keep getting in the way...

• so to conclude, we'll be getting roughly £23,000 from this replay!!