Skip to content

W.W.Trust Board election results

At last night's Trust A.G.M. the results for the election of four new Board members was as follows:

John Derben 198 (elected)
James Sumner 194 (elected)
Dale Jenkins 177 (elected)
Mark Burrell 132 (elected)
John Bignall 127
Nigel Kingston 113
Martin Broughton 107

Well done to all seven for standing and presenting themselves very well to the meeting. I'm sure the four people elected will do a very good job on behalf of the members and also a vote of thanks to those stepping down this year.

Comments

• A very close ballot! Congrats to all those who stood.

• Did DevC write Mr Broughtons speech ?
    The long tedius monologue, surely cost him any chance of being elected.

• Agreed, although a friend of mine did make the comment that he was just what we needed; an accountant is leaving the board and he was an accountant. Problem is bean counters, however necessary are just not good at promoting themselves whereas clueless self-publicists (and I'm really not aiming this at anybody) are. Any bunch of people that need to work together have to have a range of talents and that includes ditchwater dull accountants. Suspect he might be co-opted anyway.

• They must all remember that they represent ALL trust members not just some small minority of their mates. The young lad needs to work on his speeches and cannot only be interested in the "under 25's". Not sure he will be able to dedicate the time required as he is just starting out in life and will need to focus on his chosen career..Thought Sumner impressed and has convinced me since the debacle of last years meeting.

• I thought DJ spoke well and got a lot of votes as a result

• So you only vote for your mates?

• Although I hadn't initially intended to vote for John Derben because of his age and the fact that he was something of an insider, the way he spoke and handled questions impressed me immensely and ultimately changed my mind.

• @FrijidPink said:
    They must all remember that they represent ALL trust members not just some small minority of their mates. The young lad needs to work on his speeches and cannot only be interested in the "under 25's". Not sure he will be able to dedicate the time required as he is just starting out in life and will need to focus on his chosen career..Thought Sumner impressed and has convinced me since the debacle of last years meeting.

What a load of nonsense. It's impossible to represent all the members as people have differing views. That's why we have elections.

I've never spoken to 'the young lad' but he sounds like he's got an independent mind and that'll do for me.

Which one of the losing candidates were you then?

• @A_Worboys said:
    At last night's Trust A.G.M. the results for the election of four new Board members was as follows:

John Derben 198 (elected)
    James Sumner 194 (elected)
    Dale Jenkins 177 (elected)
    Mark Burrell 132 (elected)
    John Bignall 127
    Nigel Kingston 113
    Martin Broughton 107

Well done to all seven for standing and presenting themselves very well to the meeting. I'm sure the four people elected will do a very good job on behalf of the members and also a vote of thanks to those stepping down this year.

Congratulations to the successful four and well done to the others for standing.

• DJWYC14
    Just wanted to add my congratulations. Hope you enjoy the experience.

• @arnos_grove Surely it's the duty of every trust board member to at least try to represent the view of every Wycombe supporter. That may not be possible, but it should be the aim.

All the very best to those elected, I hope we've gone some way to replacing the experience of those who have stood down.

• Congratulations to Dale and James. Look forward to your input in the future months, @FrijidPink Trouble with old institutions is we clearly neglect and forget about the young people. Its refreshing to have some younger ideas and input and will only enhance our progress.

• Well done to all

• @Midlander Tranmere Tuesday???

• I was very impressed by the quality of those putting themselves forward. Congratulations to those chosen - we look forward to seeing the results of your input.

• Unfortunately I only got back from holiday two hours after the meeting ended so I missed the meeting and the hustings during it.
    Congratulations to all who got elected - although John Derben has been involved at board level at the club before, the others have not had any experience at the board level of the trust or club, which will hopefully bring a good blend of experience and also some much needed impetus to the need for transparency and increased supporters' involvement in the direction the club is taking.
    I didn't get a chance to speak to John Burrell, but I've spoken a few times to Dale and James, and I'm confident they can both make a big contribution in making sure that the club remains in the hands of supporters as well as providing a clearer picture of how the club is being run.
    The amount of rumour and innuendo that has been building up since the recent obsession with secrecy is surely not sustainable. Hopefully the new influx will help make a big positive difference for the club.

• @FrijidPink

I see no problem in someone aiming to specifically represent the interests of a certain supporter demographic, not that I am suggesting DJ will do that.

Attracting and maintaining the support of U25s is a huge challenge in the Premier League era, and vital for the club's future. I am regarded as a slightly hilarious oddity among most other young people I know for supporting a lower league team (I am 24).

• @floyd said:
    arnos_grove Surely it's the duty of every trust board member to at least try to represent the view of every Wycombe supporter. That may not be possible, but it should be the aim.

All the very best to those elected, I hope we've gone some way to replacing the experience of those who have stood down.

Ultimately, candidates stand on a published platform. If I don't vote for a candidate because I disagree with their approach and they get elected, I can't really expect them to represent my views can I?

If they claim otherwise it's effectively old flannel. A bit like Maggie's 'Where there is discord, may we bring harmony' speech. Sounds inclusive but not a word of it meant.

Anyway, it looks like a decent mix on the board, and that must be a good thing for everyone. Congrats to them all.

• As i have invariably lived in "safe" conservative seats, I have never yet voted for the m.p. elected in my seat. I still expect them to represent my communities interests in parliament and if I had a relevant requirement, represent me personally. In my work experience, good local Mps of both parties often do this quite well.

I still remain unclear quite what the Trust board do on a regular basis. I trust new and old will assess each opportunity and seek at all times to follow the best interests of the club. I wish them well.

• @DevC I would really like to see the Trust come and out give a idiots guide to the structure of the club, who does what - both boards and employees.Think it would be really useful to help engagement.

I'd also like to see the Trust put together a working group to have a real go at a grassroots marketing campaign - much in the same way as the volunteer stuff John Derben has been doing.

• @peterparrotface
    Largely agreed. Consider it your first task from your gasroom constituency, young DJ!

Of course the best marketing opportunity for many a year may well come up in the next three months. While still hoping for auto-promote, a Wembley play off final, played just up the road on a direct rail line - well hopefully in the stadium next to it! - would hopefully pull another 10000 or so on top of the usual 3000 who currently go to games. If just 15% of those so enjoyed the experience they started going regularly the next season , home gates would increase by c. 50%.

• @arnos_grove Yes, I think once someone is elected its their duty to at least try to represent views across a broad base. When support is as fractured as our is, I think this becomes even more important. Our new board members now represent WWT before their own interests or views.

• No @floyd, they are responsible for the platform on which the members elected them. A crucial difference.

• The truth is somewhere in between. You are elected on a platform, but that doesn't preclude you from representing and listening to those who didn't elect you. Its a mistake in my view to allow candidates to be elected simply to represent the young or the elderly, rather they are elected because they bring an understanding and a concern for those constituencies to the decision making but the decisions themselves are made for the whole body of support.

• @Tory_Goon I think @Baldric has put it perfectly. They are all responsible for every decision regardless of their manifesto.

• Tory Goon is quite correct. Each of the successful candidates has a duty to act in accordance with their respective manifestos and vote accordingly on every matter considered by the Board.

• @peterparrotface said:
    DevC I would really like to see the Trust come and out give a idiots guide to the structure of the club, who does what - both boards and employees.Think it would be really useful to help engagement.

I'd also like to see the Trust put together a working group to have a real go at a grassroots marketing campaign - much in the same way as the volunteer stuff John Derben has been doing.

• great idea! as a North Sea exile it would be great to know the inner workings of the club. I also await the official funding plan in March with bated breath; many people in Norway have some extra savings and with interest rates as low as they are I am convinced I could get people from some of the sportsbars in Oslo to front up some funds.

• I am bringing the family over for the Shrews match, would appreciate some feedback on the possibility of individual foreign funds from people with no previous ties to WWFC.

Cheers, Ross

• @m3g Sadly not. Got to work.