Skip to content

Captaincy

It was really interesting yesterday to see three captains for Wycombe. Ingram to start, then Hayes took back the armband when he came on, then when Hayes was subbed he gave the armband to Udumaga to pass on to Wood.

I wonder how many teams have previously featured three captains over the course of 90 minutes?

I'm never a fan of goalkeepers assuming captaincy. I remember one game where Nikki Bull was captain when the 20 outfield players all got involved in a scrap on the halfway line and he just stayed in his box looking hopeless. It's hard to show leadership when you're so far from the play.

Given Ingram doesn't always appear to command his area particularly loudly or effectively, I wonder if it was decided the captaincy was best left with someone more vocal. Which rather begs the question, why Ingram at the start?

Comments

• looking at the appearance totals, with Hayes and Bloomfield out, Ingram I believe was the next higher, then Wood.

Some logic behind the decision.

I'd have thought someone like Pierre would have been more captain material than either of those two.

• Gareth Ainsworth played down the importance of Ingram's captaincy in his post-match interview and stated that Hayes is very much his captain.

Not many, if any, teams will have had three captains in a match for two matches in succession, which Wycombe just have. Prior to the Crawley Town situation referred to above, we had three players wear the armband against Luton Town also: Hayes, then Bloomfield, then Jacobson.

• Five captains in three days - that's definitely a pub quiz question in the making!

• When Hayes got to the touchline to sub with Udumaga he told him to give the armband to Wood - Udumaga then sprinted to the edge of our box to hand it over, then back to the halfway line to wait for the ball to break to him. It may be that Ainsworth chose Ingram as captain but Hayes had a different view - and I doubt Udumaga would go against Hayes's wishes!

• I'm pretty sure Udumaga gave it to Thompson, not Wood. Would make sense why Ingram was captain to start with since none of the top 4 options were on the pitch (Hayes, Bloomfield, JJ, Thompson).

• Thomson finished with the armband.
    Note the pictures of the goal celebration, Thommo had it on, Wood didn't.

• surely when Hayes goes off and we're winning, the policy should be hand the armband to the furthest away player.

• He took it straight to Thompson...time for Specsavers.
    Someone suggested to me that it might have been a gesture because Ingram is off in the window...

• can't beat a conspiracy theory, however idiotic!

he got the captaincy as he was the highest appearance player left without Bloom there, and with Hayes and Jacobsen and even Bean not on the pitch.

• I'll listen out for a more sensible conspiracy theory this weekend, Malone.

• maybe one around Rowe and his 3 year contract, yet having zero chance of starting a game?

• Should it ideally include the training ground, Beeks and Hayes...?

• Well last year we apparently had to take the other Rotherham lad to get Rowe.
    So I wonder if there's some reason beyond his ability why he's come for such a long deal this time.

Or maybe we simply got him, then realised Stewart was available.

If I were Rowe, I'd be thinking, I'm not going to get in at centre back, as Stew/Pierre is the favoured combo. If one is out, we'd go get a McCarthy as we did. And the full backs are pretty red hot, with Harriman or Bean to fill in at right back even if something did happen.

He's certainly not going to start in centre mid ever either, with O Nien doing everything he can do plus more, then Bean Bloomfield and McGinn ahead of him.

I was going to say it could be worse, he could be Sellers, but I dare say he's had more action this season