Skip to content

Comments

• Another excellent report, thanks. I'd have given MOTM to Pierre but both he and Stewart were very solid today in a game where inspiration was in very short supply.

O'Nien should have seen red for that tackle but their centre back should have gone too for an elbow to Hayes - the linesman was looking the other way fortunately for him.

Genuinely chuffed for both goalscorers. Always thought Max deserved more of a chance and it must have been a huge confidence boost for Woody after the season he's had so far.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Another excellent report, thanks. I'd have given MOTM to Pierre but both he and Stewart were very solid today in a game where inspiration was in very short supply.

O'Nien should have seen red for that tackle but their centre back should have gone too for an elbow to Hayes - the linesman was looking the other way fortunately for him.

At least somebody agrees that O'nien is a very lucky boy!

• The O'nien incident happened near enough in front of me. Whilst not being as X rated as "the infamous Jason Cousins" tackle, (coincidentally in almost the exact same location), it was most certainly a red card. There was also intent, as Luke knew the other lad was coming, just fortunate that Luke didn't catch him with the boot. If that had happened to one of our lads we would have all been screaming for a red!

• When you say "almost the exact same location", I presume you mean the family jewels, as it was in a very different part of the pitch.

• Sorry Ewan, I must be in hypercritical mode. Luke knew the other lad was GOING surely and was chasing him. If it wasn't his boot that caught him, I'm not sure what did. The opposition player was storming down the wing when JC "took him out" all those years ago and midway between halfway and the corner flag. (Think Luke was approaching the halfway line.) Whatever the detail, it looked like a red from where I sit (Woodland) and we were all mightily relieved when Mr Drysdale brandished a yellow. Straight red would have meant our little star missing the Villa game of course.

Talking of little midfield stars, I was sorry to see recently that Josh Scowen is out for three months with medial ligament damage to a knee incurred in the Cup game against Altrincham (ouch!).

Been trying to establish what's keeping Matt McClure out of the Dagenham team. He was subbed after 5 minutes about a month ago so I assume he is injured again.

• Agree Micra, I think Luke was very lucky. Almost all around me thought he was off.

• @drcongo no I meant location on the pitch. Unless my Alzheimer's is kicking in a bit early, I thought it was in exactly the same spot on the pitch? Happy to be corrected of course.

• It was roughly the same spot. I used to stand on the left side of the terrace and can still see the look in JC's eyes as he launched himself 2 footed at the poor Doncaster defender.

• Here you go:

It's made even worse by the fact that we were attacking at the time and there was no danger on for Donny.

• Cousins is without doubt the worst tackle I have ever seen. Thanks for the link. Still makes me shudder. Credit to the Doncaster player for getting straight up. Unbelievable it was only a yellow card.

• Great report vital as always.
    My thoughts....

i felt we got sucked into the head tennis yesterday with limited attractive football being played but winning ugly is still winning so good job lads. Below are a few thoughts on specific individuals.

Ingram - wished he would come and claim some balls, I guess it must be on team orders but it makes for a nerve jangling watch as he steps back into his goal and let's the ball go right through the six yard box. Marty - you're a big lump no reason why you shouldn't own your box a little more.

Sido - good to see him back, does cause a little edginess when he belts forward and then decides to take several players on instead of releasing Woody or someone else, good to see but did get caught and lost possession a couple of times. But as said good to see back.

Macker - really making the RB position his own, great to see him go round their midfield with some fancy footwork, hopefully we can extend the loan.

Pierre and Stewart - great game as usual, would have been nice to see either sitting on top of their keeper for set pieces earlier as I'm sure we could have had a couple more goals in this way as the young lad in goal for them was dodgy and there for the taking.

Midfield - good to see Woody running like we used to see him, he needs to practice short range shooting as it was the post the other day and then just wide today (just as the MOM was announced) made amends though with his goal, great to see him on the score sheet. Luke was his usual self getting better as time goes on and gives energy to the MF, from what I saw he was lucky to stay on the pitch. SM was ok and might be suffering from lack of game time. Harri was quiet for him, not surprising with the game at Luton.

Upfront it was really good to see Kretch to get a start and a goal, gives GA more options, AAH was great at holding the ball up, the guy has Velcro feet, just wish we could see a little more enthusiasm but either way a good day at the office. The game changed as we thought it would when the old timers came on, shame to see PH go off so soon. New lad from Brentford looked quick and intelligent, hopefully he gets a spell against Morecombe so we get to see more of what he can deliver.

Overall a good (if not pretty) day at the office, really nice to see big shouts for GA at the end of the game. Feeling full of turkey and a general sense of well being, beating PNL and Luton and another 3 pts yesterday, bodes well for Saturday and will make for an interesting day vs Villa.

Excellent festive period GA and lads, thank you.

COYB!!!

• I agree that defensively Pierre and Stuart where excellent but it was cringe worthy to see them both hoofing the ball at every chance they got . I appreciate they were pulled into it to a point but there have been many games this season were they have done this and it is this that has stopped us playing on the deck . To be honest this was embarrassingly bad yesterday .

• It would also be good to get our full-backs going out wide to receive the ball when Ingram has the ball in hand. This rarely happens and hence he kicks the 50/50 ball into the air.

• The instructions were clear to the defence to boot it as far as possible - Ingram, Pierre, Stewart, Jombati were all doing it. Only McCarthy seemed to have permission to play a short ball to Harriman in the first half. From about 60 mins in the change was noticable - Ingram was rolling the ball out; full backs getting more time on the ball; Pierre and Stewart playing higher up and passing it. We played far more attractive football and looked far more threatening. I wish we could try a whole match like that - we simply don't have the strike force to make long-ball football work (unless we bring Ugwu back in - and even then he's not very good at it!)

• @Blue_since_1990, I can't remember ever Ingram rolling the ball out to our defenders, because Ingram kicks the 50/50 ball into the air, which sorry, but our forwards don't appreciate Conclusion we don't want our full backs going out wide in case we lose it in an area we could have avoided by hoofing and pressing, let the opposition defenders worry about it.

I agree with you Blue_since_1990, aloysius and bourne70, I would love our defenders to play from the back alot more and mix it up with our familiar high energy, intensity - pressing game. With Jermaine in the side as a midfielder, imagine JJ and Sido/McCarthy playing short balls to Harriman and Jermaine, then attack the opposition and play them defence-splitting passes. Our forwarders would go bananas with a bonanza of quality service as noticeable after 60 Minutes.

• Ingram rolled the ball to Jombati a couple of times yesterday. Sorry if that doesn't fit the picture you want to paint @Ciderk1d

• The manager himself acknowledged that he had to "get the message across" at half time to play it on the ground more so I doubt they had been instructed to hoof it in the first place . @right in the middle : Ingram very very rarely rolls the ball out in any match I am afraid and it add to the hoof ball which we so often play . The irony is that most goals we usually score in open play are when we pass the ball !

• edited December 2015

@Right_in_the_Middle, Yes, your spot on, Ingram did roll it out a few times in a game that lasted 96 minutes. That's what I wanted to get across, also was nice to see in the last few games, our attacking forwarders and strikers shooting at goals in the pre warm up with a keeper between the posts, so please pass on my/fans many thanks to the Media team up the corridor (Only kidding wink wink). As I do believe they gauge their fans observations and debates.