Skip to content

Favourite Gareth Ainsworth quotes

2»

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I can't help but draw comparisons between this Wycombe side and the 17/18 Accrington side, who were written off until they were out of sight and it was too late - probably based on nothing more than the fact they're a small club with a tiny budget. I notice no one ever writes Fleetwood off - oh wait, they have a nice(r) ground and a bit of money.

And Joey will smash you up if you say anything...

• I'd certainly prefer everyone to predict impending doom and write us off, then hype us up Sunderland style and fail miserably.

• I still maintain that the bad streak last season was a poor run of results, not of form. We lost so many points late on, or by the odd goal in a game we had the better of.

Either way, I don't think any Wycombe fan is assuming promotion. We are all well aware we could go on a bad run at any time. However, it would be burying our collective head (do we have a collective head?) in the sand not to be excited at leading the division not quite 40% of the way through the season!

• Wait, what? I was under the impression we were doing the double.

• We are saving that for PL/CL in 2022/23.

• You'll be telling me next that my "European Cup Winners 2022/23" tattoo is a bit presumptuous next!

• ‘I’ve said no to Blackburn. They’ve been to the very top of English football, but I’ve got this silly little dream Wycombe can get there too.’

• @Malone said:
    You'll be telling me next that my "European Cup Winners 2022/23" tattoo is a bit presumptuous next!

As long as we have the bus parade route planned, I think you are on solid ground.

• It's OK I've got a flatbed van round the back and we'll sort the route out on the day.

• @Malone said:
    I'd certainly prefer everyone to predict impending doom and write us off, then hype us up Sunderland style and fail miserably.

I’ll try and be micralite @Malone and gently enquire whether you meant “than” rather than “then”. Golly, is that the time? Goodnight.

• Unless there's people who do both? Then wot i wrotings is fine?

• @eric_plant said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Who is David Prutton and why on earth is this even a news article? He's basically getting expert billing by saying we are probably going to lose a few matches. Who'd have thought it eh?

You don't know who David Prutton is?

Do you follow football other than Wycombe?

I have no idea who David Prutton is. I keep an eye on non League One football but don't watch much on TV. Is he a TV pundit?

• He is now

He used to be a very good footballer. Played for, amongst others, Nottingham Forest and Southampton. Played for England u-21s and was certainly knocking on the door of the senior squad (not sure if he was ever included or not)

I find it interesting when Wycombe fans take no wider interest in football.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@eric_plant said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Who is David Prutton and why on earth is this even a news article? He's basically getting expert billing by saying we are probably going to lose a few matches. Who'd have thought it eh?

You don't know who David Prutton is?

Do you follow football other than Wycombe?

I have no idea who David Prutton is. I keep an eye on non League One football but don't watch much on TV. Is he a TV pundit?

You strike me as a man of a great wealth of football knowledge, so it's surprising you haven't heard of a decently known footballer.

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/southampton/2713371.stm

Went for 2.5M in 2003. Back then I think that was still a fairly decent transfer fee

• @eric_plant said:
    He is now

He used to be a very good footballer. Played for, amongst others, Nottingham Forest and Southampton. Played for England u-21s and was certainly knocking on the door of the senior squad (not sure if he was ever included or not)

I find it interesting when Wycombe fans take no wider interest in football.

Thanks. Never heard of him. Was he a manager as based on his advice to Gareth he must have been really good at that too.

What do you find so interesting. I used to follow all football when I was much younger but the advent of the circus of the Premier League switched me off top flight football. I read about the key issues but rarely watch a game (live or highlights). I quite simply don't care enough or get entertained enough any more.

• He's never been a manager. Many footballers go straight into media work when their careers finish.

I find it interesting because, to me at least, part of the reason I am a Wycombe fan is because I love football. I just find it odd when people seem to hate football other than watching Wycombe games once a fortnight.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty about being a Wycombe fan that is very important to me over and above the actual football, but I think if I ever stopped liking football itself, then I would no longer bother to go to Wycombe.

If you don't genuinely love the sport then I can't see how the thrill of success means anything to you. I'm besides myself with excitement at even the prospect of getting promoted this season. I can't imagine what it must be like if whether we did or not meant nothing.

• I'm not sure RITM not knowing one ex player means he takes no interest or hates all non Wycombe related stuff!

• Didn't claim it did, but thanks as ever for you your input

• @eric_plant said:
    He's never been a manager. Many footballers go straight into media work when their careers finish.

I find it interesting because, to me at least, part of the reason I am a Wycombe fan is because I love football. I just find it odd when people seem to hate football other than watching Wycombe games once a fortnight.

Don't get me wrong, there's plenty about being a Wycombe fan that is very important to me over and above the actual football, but I think if I ever stopped liking football itself, then I would no longer bother to go to Wycombe.

If you don't genuinely love the sport then I can't see how the thrill of success means anything to you. I'm besides myself with excitement at even the prospect of getting promoted this season. I can't imagine what it must be like if whether we did or not meant nothing.

I love the sport and in fact a great many sports. I just don't see top flight football as a sport anymore. It's a media and money fuelled circus to me and I can't get remotely excited about it.

Wycombe Wanderers on the other hand. That is sport and that is football. Will be interesting to see how I feel about it if we do carry doing so well and get promoted. Which part will win out?

• To be fair I saw Prutton play for Forest a few times hence my in-depth knowledge...I often have to google past WW players mentioned on here as I've only been here a decade or so. I assume richie's dad was on here revealing they were on £250 a week.

• One thing not knowing any details about him , but never having heard of him for a football fan is pretty surprising.

I get that plenty of people are Wycombe fans first, not football fans, but without a decent knowledge of football in general it would make my Wycombe following lack context, personally.

• edited November 2019

@eric_plant said:
    Didn't claim it did, but thanks as ever for you your input

Do you exist in a permanent state of grouchiness? try and relax a bit fella.

• I don't agree but if that's your opinion so be it

• I must admit I’d never heard of him either as a footballer of pundit. I generally won’t go too far out of my way to watch a game of football on the TV (although there usually seems to be a game on when I venture to the pub) but will happily stand at the side of a field watching a game of pub-level football with interest if I happen to pass by.

• I think he played against us, too, didn't he, towards the end of his career? For Col U or Swindon, maybe?

• Yes, I think you're right @our_frank as I recall saying: 'He used to play for Forest' to my disinterested daughter. Then again that could have been Gary Holt, Grant Holt, Barry Roche, Colin Calderwood (manager), Nigel Clough, Paul Hart, Marlon Harewood...
    (Whoever it was she was disinterested.)

• "A lot of these players play in big-possession teams. And people know, possession can do one for me, I'm not bothered about that. It's about the goals, it's about the chances created, it's about what you do with those moments on the transition when the ball is yours."

Phil Catchpole, Wanderers TV. "I've not seen the stats today, but 'possession can do one, is that a point made today?"

"Yeah of course. We don't control the ball at times you know, but, what we do is on the moments when we do get it, we make it count and that's really important. I'm proud to say that still happens in football. Because you watch some games and I think some games are just, you have it, we'll have it, you have it, we'll have it. I love the up and at them, I love the rough and tumble sometimes."

Gareth Ainsworth 22.10.2022 (one nil away win at the Franchise)