Skip to content

Thompson 1 V 1

I know my memory isn't what it once was but I don't think Thompson has scored on a 1 V 1 situation since he has signed. He had 2 clear opportunities last night and he certainly has had plenty of other similar situations this season. For a man with such a decent goal scoring record at this level, it has been a disappointing feature of his tenure with us so far. I know that Ingram has got us out of the brown and sticky stuff on many a 1 V 1 situation, in fact his success rate is extremely high. It has got me wondering if maybe, at this level the odds are stacked, in favour of the goal keeper? This is not an attack on Thompson, as his work rate and what he creates for others does go some way to compensate, but I can't help but feel that failure in this department is costing many points.

Comments

• I agree to a certain extent...for me he lacks a bit of guile in these situations. A little chip over the advancing keeper would have done the job last night. He is pretty mobile though, whereas Hayesy is like an oil tanker turning!!

• I think keepers have the upper hand on these. They are set and can control the space they give between them and the striker.

• Thompson certainly hasn't made the most of the several 1-on-1 striker v. goalkeeper chances he has had this season. I am sure he is aware of this too, which may result in him becoming less confident each time such a situation arises and then more likely to be unsuccessful. Hopefully, he will score one soon, get his confidence back and go on to score several more.

Regarding whether odds are stacked in favour of the goalkeeper in League Two, my thoughts are that it's a reflection of the fact that the strikers in League Two are, in the main, not as "good" as those playing in higher divisions. Those who are more skilled at anticipating which way and when the 'keeper is going to move and more consistently able to kick the ball with the pace, direction and sometimes spin that is needed to get it beyond the 'keeper, between the posts and under the bar are more likely to get contracts with higher division clubs. Strikers' other skills are important to their advancement too, but consistently being able to put the ball in the net must rank very high in the striker recruitment process.

For goalkeepers, how good they are in 1-on-1 situations will have some influence on whether they get to play at a higher level. This, however, may be a less significant factor in the goalkeeper recruitment process than a striker being able to score is, with other attributes such as command of the penalty area, dealing with crosses, distribution of the ball and so on all being considered important. The result is that more goalkeepers who are good in 1-on-1 situations than strikers who are good in 1-on-1 situations are left playing at League Two level.

• didn't thommo score a one on one at exeter

• On a similar theme, I question the role of Paul Hayes. I appreciate that when he plays the team generally perform well under his captaincy,but surely he is also regarded as a striker and in that capacity he seems a failure. Is there an answer,such as moving him back into midfield and replacing him with someone more likely to score,such as Holloway,or leave things as they are and accept that goals from the forwards will be at a premium ?

• bring back Steven Craig in the loan window

• edited November 2015

maybe not so crazy as it first sounds

• No and no.

• My preference would be Jo Kuffour

• @bourne70 said:
    My preference would be Jo Kuffour

You've just brought me out in a cold sweat...

• Didn't Hayes end last season with 10 or 11 goals? That is a decent return for a striker, particularly one that focusses largely on linking up playing rather than running off the shoulder of the last defender.

• @bookertease I came out in a cold sweat typing his name

• I think McClure would score them but wouldn't get into the positions in the first place.

• I see McClure's injury woes appear to be continuing, with him only lasting 5 minutes last time out before having to be subbed.

• How many of Hayes' goals last season came from the penalty spot? Not trying to knock him, he also scored a pretty decent effort at Stevenage from open play. But age and injuries appear to be limiting his effectiveness as a goal threat. For instance, it's unlikely we'll see him once again skin an opposition defender in much the same way he did against Hartlepool during his loan spell.

• And isn't it interesting how few penalties we've had this season? Thomson scored against Barnet - have there been any others? I suspect the reason is partly because referees know our reputation for going down easily... but mostly because our strikers have really struggled to get into the box so far.

• Thompson missed one at home, can't remember who against though. Was memorable for how poor it was!

• It was against Cambridge. Possibly the worst pen ever.

• @williwycombe said:
    How many of Hayes' goals last season came from the penalty spot? Believe it was 5, correct if I'm wrong.