Skip to content

League 1 Next Year

Been having a little browse at the League 1 table. Say the following conceivable scenarios happen:

Bristol City, MK Dons and Swindon - (the current top 3) all go up from League 1
Yeovil, Leyton Orient, Crawley and Colchester - (4 of the current bottom 5) all go down from League 1
Rotherham, Wigan and Blackpool - (3 of current bottom 4) all go down from Championship
Burton, Shrewsbury, Wycombe and Bury - (the current top 3 and a team in the playoffs) all go up from League 2.

That would leave only us and Gillingham south of Coventry in League 1 next season! Yes, I realise it's a hell of a lot of ifs and buts, was just amazed at quite how many northern teams there currently are in the division above.

Comments

• Suits me - I'm moving up North as of September!

• Maybe L1 and L2 should be regional?

• That would make it very very hard to make it to the Championship

• What's the point of it?

• why would a regional division make it harder AttitudeEra? Just curious.

• Why do we need regional divisions as a professional club?

• @MG3 I think his argument is for the sake of the fans, not the club. Smaller travelling distances for away games, more local derbys.

• Do you know the percentage of fans that watch us that don't live in the town?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    why would a regional division make it harder AttitudeEra? Just curious.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea - my main thinking however is that it would essentially be a 'giant league one', meaning, barring any major restructuring, up to 48 teams fighting for three promotion spots to the Championship. One South, one North, plus maybe a playoff?

At least with leagues one + two as they are now, quite a few teams every year have a realistic 'chance' of a table topping finish and this means better crowds throughout the season, even if teams get relegated again straight away.

PLUS I'd be willing to bet we'd STILL have both Plymouth and Exeter away on Tuesday nights ;)

• Also I quite like going to Carlisle and therefore I'm biased.