Skip to content

Comments

• Alex Lynch clear Man of Match but a good performance by Wycombe Reserves spending a lot of time in the Leeds half and forcing at least a dozen corners. Shame they couldn't translate them into goals.

Interesting use of Rowe and McCarthy in midfield for last 15 minutes.

• Thought we played well considering it wasn't our most confident side and it was there strongest tbh. If it were our usual starting 11 maybe the result would of been different. Good to see some of the orhers have a game, well done lads and nice to see lynch prove himself.

• Haven't seen the stats but it does seem that we need shooting practice under pressure. Every game we miss chance after chance...I know we aren't Bayern but surely more shots on target means more goals!?

• How was Sellers? The Wycombe twitter feed said most of the chances were coming down the left wing - was he getting crosses into the box? And how was Rowe in the holding midfield role? An able deputy for Bean?

• @aloysius i thought sellers wasn't at his best and made a lot of mistakes but did show a few glimpses of good play. rowe and mccarthy were both great at the holding midfield roles they played for the last ten minutes

• Sellers if anything proved that he is not anywhere close to being the new messiah.

He'll get better but frankly both goals would have been prevented if JJ was in his position.

• Yep Sellers is great as an impact sub in the last 15/20 mins when we are chasing the game and throwing everything at the opposition. Good with the ball at his feet running at the defense, can put in a good cross and a decent long throw.

For 90 mins he simply isn't strong enough or smart enough defensively to play in League 2. Both goals were probably down to his errors and not sure he won a 50-50 whole game.

• QED. The answer to all the questions about whether GA knows what he is doing by starting Woody in preference to Sellers.

• Algernon, I don't see why it has to be straight choice between Wood and Sellers?

• @AttitudeEra - agree your first para. 2nd para dodgy! You cannot say the goals WOULD have been prevented. Might possibly. But Ryan Sellers was playing left midfield - not somewhere I have ever seen JJ play in any case. Did you think the goals could have been prevented if JJ had been playing left back instead of Sammy Wood?

I thought Ryan Sellers caused Leeds a few problems in the first half, forcing corners, putting in a couple of good crosses and landing a couple of long throws near the penalty spot. He did tire in the second half though and tended to get caught in possession.

• Mooneyman: No, it doesn't. But I was referring to the debate between various posters as to the comparative merits of these two in particular.

• @micra said:
    AttitudeEra - agree your first para. 2nd para dodgy! You cannot say the goals WOULD have been prevented. Might possibly. But Ryan Sellers was playing left midfield - not somewhere I have ever seen JJ play in any case. Did you think the goals could have been prevented if JJ had been playing left back instead of Sammy Wood?

I thought Ryan Sellers caused Leeds a few problems in the first half, forcing corners, putting in a couple of good crosses and landing a couple of long throws near the penalty spot. He did tire in the second half though and tended to get caught in possession.

Maybe a bit exaggerated, I agree. And I also agree that he was playing the midfield role, however I would say that both goals came directly from passages of play where he was involved and an experienced pro like JJ or Woody would have coped. Sellers didn't keep up with the runner for the first (and was covering the left back position at the time as Wood was AWOL), who provided the cross. For the second he was caught in possession and looked lightweight on the ball in our own final third, when hoofing the ball away/staying stronger/pulling the opposition player down all would have been better options.

I do think Sellers looks decentwhen he comes on in an advanced position and there's no reason he can't continue to improve into the role as Max has managed to do.

And that first long throw - wow.