Skip to content

Wycombe 'fans' at Wealdstone v Col U

“One of the persons who ran on the pitch towards the end of the game was a Wycombe 'fan', one of about 15 who were at the gun turret end continually goading the Colchester fans...fortunately the police stationed between the Colchester fans and them controlled things overall very well...however the lack of a no mans land & proper barricades was very nearly disastrous. Simply hoping that things would be ok was reminiscent of the near confrontation at the Newport game. The rain helped us, but next time......? Very poor organisation by the Wealdstone board in my opinion, sorry.”

Comments

• Absolute rubbish, where did you get this from?

• There were Wycombe fans there "goading" the Col u fans, but there was never any trouble. The pitch invaders weren't anything to do with Wycombe, just looked like some local school kids trying to get on the telly.

• The pitch invaders were from a local youth football club

• Reading the Wealdstone forum, appears generally Wealdstone club and supporters had a memorable day which hopefully pushes that club forward. Colchester players officials and supporters acted classily throughout and added to their clubs reputation. And a handful of notionally Wycombe supporters let themselves and their club down by acting like dickheads and in so doing damaged the reputation of the club. Is there honestly nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than gatecrash somebody elses party and shout witless abuse from the protection no doubt of burly stewards. Sad.

• So its already gone from Wycombe fans going on the pitch to not...

If you weren't at the game don't make assumptions

Was a local fa cup when Wycombe didn't have a game with the added incentive of hopefully seeing Colchester be embarrassed, there was no trouble at all (and there were next to no stewards at the start of the game so if anyone wanted any trouble there would have been).

@DevC said:
    Reading the Wealdstone forum, appears generally Wealdstone club and supporters had a memorable day which hopefully pushes that club forward. Colchester players officials and supporters acted classily throughout and added to their clubs reputation. And a handful of notionally Wycombe supporters let themselves and their club down by acting like dickheads and in so doing damaged the reputation of the club. Is there honestly nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon than gatecrash somebody elses party and shout witless abuse from the protection no doubt of burly

• "Glad there wasn't any trouble, although it would seem some idiots from Wycombe turned up to goad the well behaved Colchester fans." Wealdstone supporter.

"Though hopefully the saddos from Wycombe won't bother turning up again, what a bunch of weirdos!" Colchester supporter

"one of about 15 who were at the gun turret end continually goading the Colchester fans...fortunately the police stationed between the Colchester fans and them controlled things overall very well" Presumably Wealdstone supporter.

Are those comments wrong?
    Do you think the reputation of Wycombe Wanderers was enhanced or damaged?

By all means have a day out, enjoy a game somewhere, join in with the home teams songs if you wish, but do you really have to act like a complete dickhead to enjoy yourselves?

• The last one is from the quote saying one of the Wycombe fans went on the pitch.. Which we know isn't true.

The Colchester fans comment is a nothing comment.

And I really don't see the problem with a bit of goading/ chanting? There was no sign of trouble and it was a two way street, the police had a quiet word with a couple Wycombe fans (more of a warning that they were watching than that anything had happened), and a much stronger one with a few Colchester fans after the went behind, so if you class that as being "poorly behaved" then there's a clear loser there.

I don't think it affected our "rep" at all either way.... I don't think most people think like that. Maybe they appreciated the extra vocal support and 15-20 ticket sales?

• Strangely I find that a handful of idiots identifying themselves as Wycombe supporters and then spending the rest of the afternoon provoking confrontation with one set of supporters can do little else than damage the reputation of the Club with both Wealdstone and Colchester supporters. I dont much care if the world thinks of you as a dickhead, I do care when you associate yourself with WWFC and then act in that way.

Grow up you sad pathetic immature little fool.

• You really are aa presumption, sad, sanctimonious old man aren't you? There was zero trouble, I went to see some local football I could get to on the train, with the added bonus of maybe seeing Colchester lose.

If you weren't there don't comment, it's people like you who try to highlight every potential little thing and make mountains out of molehills that do more damage...

There's been 3 comments on a wealdstone board... 1 by a Colchester fan, 1 which has been proved incorrect, if there was a problem you don't think it would have come up more? Much more likely to be the Wealdstone equivalent of you...

• edited November 2015

On the match itself... Colchester looked frustratingly good going forward, moved the ball around really well on an extremely boggy pitch.

Scott Davies looked decent going forward for Wealdstone and clearly has the quality technically to play higher, shame he's not a professional off the pitch. Wealdstone looked decent going forward but were outclassed by Colchester when they went forward and it could have been 8 or 9 quite easily.

• 2500 people went to watch a football game. I wonder what proportion of those by their own admission primarily went to "goad" opposition fans, what proportion of those had to be spoken to by the police about their behaviour, what proportion of those behaviour was commented on adversely by three different posters on a internet message board.

I stand by the description - sad pathetic immature little boys.

• thing is Dev, we haven't got any actual hooligans and we are pretty much unique in terms of football league clubs in that respect. If a few kids went and got a bit mouthy then yeah, I imagine it was pretty annoying and cringey to witness, but I'd much rather have that than any actual troublemakers

how many other league clubs do you think can honestly say that they have no hooligans

• "By your own admission primarily went to goad opposition fans"?

You can't just make things up and present them as facts to suit yourself... I've never said that anywhere.

• Eric, I dont think we are unique but we do have an admirable record. Its one of the things we should be most proud of. Most recent figures (sept 14) show 20 clubs have five or less banning orders - both us and colchester amongst others have 1. 18 clubs had 5 or less arrests - we were one of six to have none (colchester one).

We should be proud of that record. These silly little children are all mouth (fortunately) but nonetheless can damage that reputation. It is far easier to lose a good reputation than recover from a bad one (eg the surprisingly good statistics for Colchester above)

• Actually what I should say, is that it is a shame when a few idiots let the rest down. Generally i am very supportive of the away singers who can create a good atmosphere and be very positive ambassadors for the club. It only takes a few to chant stupid usually staggeringly unoriginal invariably unwitty abuse to destroy that good reputation. which is a shame. It seems only a handful tried to spoil Wealdstone's day yesterday. Shame on them.

• I'm not sure this is something really worth worrying about?

• Exactly Bill, the only person making an issue is Dev, he's looking for something that just wasn't there.

• I should just like to say how wholeheartedly I agree with Username - especially,

"it's people like you who try to highlight every potential little thing and make mountains out of molehills that do more damage..."