Skip to content

FA Cup trivia

Who are the two clubs from outside England to have competed in the FA Cup final?

Comments

• Swansea and Cardiff I'd imagine?

• No - 3 time finalists and one time winners Cardiff is correct. Swansea have never been past the semis

• Queens Park - twice but a long time ago.

• Correct!

Who has held the Cup for the longest continuous time?

• whoever won it before the war..........Portsmouth?

• Correct!

Who is the only club to have won the Cup in Yorkshire?

• Think you may have to increase the difficulty level.

Pre WW1 game at Sheff utd. Won by one of the B's - (burnley, blackburn, barnsley) - cant remember which one off hand.

• LOL.Increase the difficulty level is the cry followed by I can't remember the answer.

Tends to suggest the difficulty level is about right. Keep in coming LX1. I have no idea of the answer but will be interested to find out and that is the key to a quiz to me.

• OK lets ramp it up a bit with some general football trivia

1) Much asked, but still my favourite FA cup trivia. Sunderland did it in 79, Villa in 81 but who did it in 80?

2) Germany came the closest to achieving this bit of trivia at the last world cup but still missed out by 500 days. What?

3) Two years ago, what unique record was shared by Algeria, Ghana, South Korea and Saudi Arabia? What has changed since?

4) What has Robert Earnshaw uniquely achieved?

5) Batista and Gattuso share what unique achievement?

6) What connects River Plate and Falkirk?

• These are all too easy. Can't remember off the top of my head

1. Trevor Brooking, scored the winning goal in the FA cup final. Great trivia, that one.

2. Hat trick in top 4 divisions, both cups and internationally, I think.

• What the hell, the message auto corrects my 4 to a 2? When I go to edit, it's a 4 again. Anyway that second one is my answer to question 4

• Algeria, Ghana, South Korea and Saudi Arabia all have unbeaten records against England. Not sure what might have changed

• Both answers correct dan. AlanB right on part a) - think about it for part b).

• England Ladies beat South Korea in March 2011 but that was more than 2 years ago.

• Mens game only!

• Ah - got it - we need to add Costa Rica and Honduras to the list

• 5) if Northern Ireland were a better side, might we have added Tommy Doherty to those two?

• Correct Alan. Actually some would argue there should be one more name on the list. any idea who?

A cryptic answer from Chris - but not without an element of truth.

• Barnsley are the only club to have won the Cup in Yorkshire. As Dev said, a replay at Bramall Lane

• Which club has completed the most 'giant-killings' of League clubs as a non-League club?

• tottenham? Only team to win it as a non league club.

• Yeovil is correct with 20 scalps

• Incidentally no takes for the following trivia
    2) Germany came the closest to achieving this bit of trivia at the last world cup but still missed out by 500 days. What? (clue had Argentina won, this bit of trivia would be no more).
    6) What connects River Plate and Falkirk? (clue according to some reports in todays papers, this one may not last much longer either)

I will reveal all the answers, including the answer Chris got cryptically and the other unbeaten team against England, if anyone is even remotely interested some time tomorrow!

• Another FA Cup trivia.

Which team has had the ball burst while they played in a FA Cup final, not once but twice.

• Complete guess - Preston?

• The ball bursters were Charlton, in consecutive years.

• other answers, not that anyoine plainly was remotely interested!

1) other to have played but not lost to England was the CIS (post break up of Soviet union)
    2) batistuta and gattuso - only players to win the world cup with beards (tommy doherty cruely denied joining them due to NI just missing out on winning it)
    3) what connects River plate and falkirk? - only clubs outside of Spain, italy and England to hold the highest transfer fee paid record
    4) Germany came closest to holding this record (500 days out) - no team has ever won world cup while also having their national as pope - if only Ratzinger hadnt resigned or Argentina won the last final and this one would have gone.

Quality trivia that. What's wrong with you people............ (I'll get my coat)