Skip to content

Small club

Great result and I am pleased for the manager . I wish hoverer he would not over egg the tiny , little , weeny club that we are punching above our weight with whoever we come up against . Surely he will not also say this against Halifax ? I do worry just how small he thinks we are ! I know it is his tactic of wanting us to play as underdogs but sometimes I feel it is a little disrespectful to our club and it's proud history .

Do people on here agree with Ainsworth or do I have a point ?

Comments

• I think this tact had a time and a place. What he is saying has some basis but I do wonder how keeping the message going for so long is productive. At some stage the message has to change. Trouble is when it does the pressure immediately mounts on the manager so I can see why he's staying on message.
    If it were me I think we should be a little bit more bullish.

• Why does the message have to change unless its demonstrably nonsense and routinely so. If the manager is happy to trot this out, and it allows him space to get on with his job of getting the best performance out of the players, then let him continue. I think there is too much expectation on managers to say things to the media, and then they are judged on that, not on results. Most football interviews are a re-hash of banal clichés, at least staying on message prevents any problems elsewhere.

• Couldn't care even a teeny weeny little bit what he says. Frankly he can attend each press interview with pants on his head, pencil up each nostril and say nothing more than "wibble" if he wants as long as he has maximised the teams chances of winning the game.

• We are punching above our weight in relation to playing budgets.

• @DevC I think supporting Chelsea will give you everything you require from a manager apart from maybe the performances on the pitch. The looney one is doing his best Rowan Atkinson impression at the moment.

• @DevC you don't care what Gareth Ainsworth says?

• if we are talking about post match interviews, Peter, couldnt care less. I dont care if it was a stonewall penalty/clearly outside the box (adjust for which side made the tackle). I dont care whether it was a fair challenge - he's just not that kind of boy/two footed career threatening lunge (adjust as appropriate). I dont care that he watches the game avidly for 89mins 58sec but sadly glanced away just as his star centre forward lamped the oppositions hairy-arsed centre back. Post match managers interviews are pure gash.

• @DevC Are you telling us Gareth's interviews are like the ones you describe? I think his views, cenrtainly in the last 18 months, have been insightful and added to the events I've witnessed. Maybe you're being too generic and missing out on something. Maybe you're just watching too much Premier League football where I agree with your summation.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I disagree with your derogatory views on the interviews of Premiership Managers. The interviews of the likes of the Watford, Bournemouth, Southampton, Everton and even Man City managers are generally intelligent and worth listening to. I accept there are exceptions with the so called Special One and that idiot at United.

However our division probably has the worst interviewee in John Still!

• I think I don't have an issue with him reminding the press about out small budget but I do get a bit pissed about him saying how "small" the club is all the time . We are compared to Portsmouth and Plymouth but we are bigger than a few clubs in div two in my opinion and as big as a few in the division above . We have a 10000 stadium that quite a few could only dream of and and we still get higher gates than a few and as many as a few in the division above (at least when we were there) which we have been more than once .

• He uses every tactic possible to get us results. Fair play to him. Better than when we played fairly against teams using every tactic in the book. Look at Carlisle against us, we even had to get the ball for their free kick, then they get a corner against us take ten minutes to take it, unsettle us and score. So yes lets do what every other team do and use everything possible to get a result!

• @bourne70 said:
    I think I don't have an issue with him reminding the press about out small budget but I do get a bit pissed about him saying how "small" the club is all the time . We are compared to Portsmouth and Plymouth but we are bigger than a few clubs in div two in my opinion and as big as a few in the division above . We have a 10000 stadium that quite a few could only dream of and and we still get higher gates than a few and as many as a few in the division above (at least when we were there) which we have been more than once .

Totally agree, we are a fan owned club with loyal support who can bring a good (sing along) atmosphere especially at away games for our size, which I believe in commendable.

Would be nice to drop the small club catchphrase and state we do what we can with what we can afford and the best for Wycombe Wanderers.

• I remember the season post-FA Cup run when we were drawing average crowds c.6k and the exact opposite conversations were taking place. People were talking about the lure of WWFC, the potential for growth, a big catchment area and the famed 5-year plan to get into the Championship. Funny innit.

Of course, we've diminished in size since then and enthusiasm as well as ambition has been curbed.

If the slightly well-worn 'we're plucky little Wycombe Wanderers' stuff that we're now used to hearing continues to work, and it does seem to have helped instil a great team spirit, then so be it.

There's certainly an element of truth to it but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

We are a club now living within our means and having to go our own way in a bid to keep up with the big fish in our small pond, I think that's GA's main point.

But in terms of the spirit and togetherness at the club we're a match for anyone in the division.

• We are a small club with a big heart x