Skip to content

The biggest difference between last season and this...

Is the defence.

At this stage last season we'd played 13 league matches. All 13 we lined up Jombati - Mawson - Pierre - Jacobson.

So far this season we've played 13 league matches. We've used 7 different sets of players in our defence so far. The most we've managed is four matches of Jombati - Rowe - Pierre - Jacobson; and four matches of Harriman - Jombati - Pierre - Jacobson.

I appreciate we've had injury issues this season which we didn't last. But the constant tinkering and switching of Jombati is preventing any understanding being built up across the back line. We're also not playing the ball out from the back, which Mawson did so well and I thought Rowe had been brought in to replicate.

Some consistency from now in would be appreciated. Assuming no injuries we should be looking to keep a back four of Jombati - McCarthy - Pierre - Jacobson. I would also be interested to see Rowe given a try out in Bean's place as the link man between defence and midfield.

Comments

• Wonder what is going on with Danny Rowe. I thought he was harshly treated last season and I was surprised when he signed up again. At least last year he could take a little comfort from not being able to displace a top quality defensive group. He's had more than enough chance this season and from what I've seen he's done ok. He's no Alfie Mawson but not many are.
    Seems really odd he's not playing at centre back at the moment.

• He struggles physically against a big man, maybe because of his age, but is composed on the ball. He was the obvious choice to replace Pierre who was on the naughty step, but Gaz chose to move Sido once again into the middle, which to me indicates he doesn't think Rowe is ready yet. McCarthy good player on the deck, but was outjumped a fair few times in the air.

• What is a manager to do.

it appears his first choice was Jombati, Stewart, Pierre, JJ. But Stewart got injured.
    His next choice was Jombati, Rowe, Pierre, JJ. But Rowe got injured.
    He tried Donancien at CB but that didnt work to well.
    So Jombati moved inside and did quite well as he did on occasions last season.
    Then Rowe was fit again, went back to plan B but presumably in GA opinion Rowe wasnt really working.
    So Plan C harriman, Jombati, pierre, JJ
    But Harriman got injured and besides he is arguably needed in midfield.
    So bring another loanee in to play cb releasing Jombati back to RB.

Defensive stability is nice, but when injuries get in the way not much you can do.

I dont get to see many games so cant really judge players. When I do see them I rather like Rowe but fully accept GA is better placed to judge than I. Bean in the games I have seen has done an excellent job.