Skip to content

Comments

• No comments yet? I'm amazed. This background stuff gives a fascinating insight into the politics and financial intricacies that have bedevilled attempts in the past to democratise the running of Wycombe Wanderers Football Club.

Interesting to see that a certain major contributor to the original Gasroom was interviewed 20 years ago by the Bucks Free Press regarding his misgivings about attempts by Directors to restrict membership. His hand can also be detected, I think, in the article headed Skulduggery extracted from the Independent Supporters' magazine.

Regardless of the element of continuity, I am reasonably optimistic that nothing untoward is likely to occur under the present regime. I have a modest shareholding but would cash them in without hesitation if anything similarly untoward should happen.

• I think there may be no comments yet as most of us haven't had time to digest it all yet. I'm taking a break halfway through.

But excellent stuff whoever put this together. Got quite nostalgic for the days we paid money for people. I've some sympathy with those having to make some tough decisions but it does look like they lost the plot a bit.

Not sure I'm looking forward to reading about the Hayes era!

• Thanks to the original Gasman for putting this together on chairboys.co.uk, and thanks @floyd for putting the link up here. It's essential reading for all members of the Trust, an excellent precis of the club's financial history whilst it was last owned by the supporters.
    To paraphrase a famous saying, the price of a supporters' owned football club is eternal vigilance.
    Hopefully the AGM will be a forum for more open discussion of difficult topics in a friendly and honest manner than the last Trust-convened meeting.

• I remember that period well. I joined the rush to get membership before Uncle Ivor and his cronies pulled up the drawbridge.

An understandable lack of knowledge about this era perhaps explains newer supporters' confusion on encountering people who don't wholeheartedly buy into the Beeks 'only a force for good' myth. That's not a criticism, but this series should be essential reading if you aren't up to speed.

I think supporter owned is a good thing. Just never underestimate the desire some people have for complete control.

• I missed this when it was posted last week.

A very interesting article about the politics of yesteryear.

• ========BUMP=======

For those interested, the Gasman has produced part two of the article today on Gasroom 1.0:

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=31465;article=789538;title=gasroom.co.uk

• It is indeed true that WWISC were NOT the source of the leak!