Skip to content

Match day thread: Cambridge

2»

Comments

• To clarify, as the original user of piss poor last night, I was only referring to the first half.

The second half was considerably better, even before the sending off.

• Cambridge were one of the favourites to go up but we made them look pretty ordinary even before they went down to 10 men despite not playing our best. I don't think the three up front works if Hayes is not playing.

As Fidget said, McGinn is the weak link in midfield and hence we tend to use the long ball more.

• Not sure about Ugwu yet. He does cause defenders a headache but he doesn't look to be a finisher or able to hold the ball up. Maybe he needs time to bed into the system.

• Thought Holloway looked rather lethargic last night. On last season's form he would have been a shoo-in to the team but that performance explains why he hasn't held down a regular place. Not sure whether he was injured or just plain knackered when he went off.

Agree, McGinn does look a little out of his depth at present and I would prefer to see Bloomfield or Kretzchmar starting. Good performances by Jombatti, O'Nien and Bean (despite woeful finishing) last night. Think our game will improve when Hayes returns.

• @Bluebottle I agree that our performances will improve when Hayes is back to full fitness. But for me one of the impressive things about this season is that we are where we are without much of a contribution from Hayes. That would have seemed unthinkable last season

• Valley Terrace are going to have to think up some new words to the Garry Thompson chant. One of the worst penalties I have ever seen

• Is it just me that thinks we haven't played that well this season. Baring probably Hartlepool, and maybe even Plymouth we've been poor.
    But, we have 21 points from 10 games, have conceded just 5 goals and are top of the league.
    Imagine if we start playing well.

• And people saying McGinn is the weak link is why English football is so behind the times.
    He's our only player capable of getting his foot on the ball and playing it. Picks the ball up on the edge of our own area and rather than punt it long, calmly plays it out wide. We unfortunately don't appreciate play like this.

I do however love Luke O'Nien, what a player he is.

• Couldn't agree more with clifty04 lots of moaning about the long balls but for one McGinn is good on the ball for league 2 club. I appreciate that he isn't quick skilful and good in front of goal but on the ball he very good.

• yep, I agree as well, hardly ever gives the ball away.

• I don't get it, people saying that we are not playing well, we are top off the league so we must be doing something right. Cheer up!

• Awful first hour and I must admit I thought that penalty was the only chance we were likely to get to score!! Doh! Boys seemed to liven up after that awful penalty, Beano had more shots tonight than he's had in the whole of his Blues career I think! I thought the midfield was missing and would prefer Harriman on the wing than as right-back. Is Danny Rowe still injured?

• It is fairly remarkable that the club have managed to be top of the league despite the four players arguably most likely at the start of the season to be the attacking threat (Holloway, Hayes, wood, Banton) having so far contributed fairly little.

The reason is not hard to work out. The players work incredibly hard and the defensive unit is incredibly strong for this level even allowing for Stewart and the desperately unlucky Rowe (surely would be first choice for most if not all other Lg2 teams) not being in the team.

• The truth is we are leaning on our defence and getting wins and draws due to the number of clean sheets. I imagine if we were to start getting a few more goals we'd feel less like the team were top of the league while still in third gear.

Ugwu and holloway quiet. We played better when thomspson dropped deeper to make it 442 with him at the front of the diamond. 433 we started with didn't really work.

• Anyone know of a link for the O'nien tackle at the end?