Skip to content

A tale of three footies

Three games in a week for me last week. Firstly 70m mins or so of Tavistock Town v Somebody in Blue (cycling past, thought I would take a 10 minute break, got hooked) , then Torquay in the week and finally Exeter on Saturday.

The Tavistock (possibly broadly around Flackwell heath level) game was a cracker, ball on floor most of the time , no wasted time, both teams taking it in turns to attack, all out fully committed, joy to watch - won by a last minute penalty for the home team - and a surprisingly decent standard. Contrast that with the Torquay game where Boreham Wood tried to pass it along the ground from time to time but Torquay just played desperate hoof ball. The lower level game was far more entertaining to watch.

And then Exeter on saturday. Well good to win , good solid professional away perfromance but as a spectacle, how dire was that? Obviously I dont see many Wycombe games due to geography but I have never really understood the reputation for us being a long ball team. we are always strong and physical (and do waste too much time often when winning) but usually play some decent stuff. On Saturday it was hoofball pure and simple. I cant remember a single passing movement for our side and precious few from Exeter either who seem to have abandoned their passing style. On the way out one of the home stewards said to me he wouldn't want to watch that every week, on reflection I think he was right.

So for entertainment the three games ranked in reverse order to the level they were played at, which is a bit of shame really. Odd then that for some reason I cant wait for Bristol in a fortnight, yeovil a month over that, a home game over Christmas, Plymouth in Jan ................

Comments

• There were a few passes for the second goal and a lovely ball through to Tommo..Weren't you watching then? Also, sometimes you have to match the opposition to get the points.

• As I recall the second goal, an Exeter guy misplaced a pass/header to the wing and another Exeter player to avoid a throw backheeled it to our player giving a three on one. the crossfield pass ended up with the worst placed of the unmarked two forward. So this flowing passing move you seem to recall actually consisted of a grand total of one arguably misplaced pass. If that constitutes quality passing football this season, things are worse than I realised!

There is no question that it is effective, no question it is a solid professional away performance that won the points, personally I just didnt see it as particularly good entertainment.

• I like watching our style of play. It's direct, but attacking, and there's always something happening whether we've got the ball or not. It's a long way from the dull, dull, dull games under Peter Taylor when watching us grind out 1-0 wins was a chore.

• Looks like the team in blue were Plymouth Parkway, that's the only 1-0 midweek home win they've had this season (yes, i have time on my hands this morning!) Tavistock play in the Southwest Peninsula League Premier Division, which is one promotion lower than Flackwell, but no doubt the same sort of standard.

• Hi Floyd.

time and your hands but wrong I am afraid. It wasn't a midweek game and it wasn't 1-0. I have now checked and it was actually that archetypal quaint Cornish fishing village, Torpoint, in the Walter C Parsons Cup no less - a trophy that strangely doesn't always get the attention it no doubt deserves outside the two counties.

besides its surely basic football knowledge that Parkway play in yellow........

• Well that was a total shambles wasn't it @DevC Re-reading everything, i've got no idea where i got the idea it was a midweek game from, neither how i translated 'last minute penalty,' to a 1-0 win!

But they do play in the SWPL Premier, one level below Flackwell...

• Ah well, never mind!

Anyway have checked to see who it is that the Walter C Parsons Cup is sponsored by - its a firm of local undertakers! TBH cant see the sponsorship lasting too long - apparently they are in a dying industry.

• Merely a grave rumour.

• These puns will be the death of me.

• You'll have urned it.

• The final is traditonally played on Ashe Wednesday !!

• This thread really died a death