Skip to content

Quick trivia quiz

Can you name two players that played in the same FA cup final at Wembley in the 1970's,
Who were later both on the losing side to the Wanderers in FA cup ties in the 1980's ?

Comments

• I'm guessing it's the 1976 final and that Stewart Houston is one of them (when he was at Colchester). Was the other the Southampton goalkeeper, Ian Turner?

• Well done Ned, can you name the club who Ian Turner appeared for against WWFC in the Fa cup ?

• Witney Town?

• Well done Ned, Gary Lester produced the finest goal keeping performance i have ever seen in a Wanderers shirt, that day at Wineys old Marriott close ground.
    Incidentally to extend the mind numbing trivia, Witney that day featured an outfield player whom in the same decade, would get his revenge, and knock Wanderers out of the Fa cup ? Any guesses ?

• Not a clue, I'm afraid.

• Peter Hutter, Aylesbury 1987?

• Slightly of topic, how many players playing in this years premiership have previously played for wwfc?
    Ibe
    Russell Martin
    Mike Williamson
    Anya
    ???

• Steven Taylor, Newcastle

• Excellent work Newbs, no photos from either of those games ??????

• Alex Mccarthy Palace keeper was on schoolboys books at WWFC.

• @ChasHarps None from the Witney game, a few from what must rank in my top 5 wettest WWFC games ever (or is my memory playing tricks? Doesn't look that wet in these pics).

Photo01_3A

Photo02_4A

Photo06_5

• Best ever Wycombe goalkeeping display, now there's a question.

For me it would have to be Martin Taylor away at Millwall the year of the cup run. It was absolutely extraordinary

• @NewburyWanderer Was it that wet that day? I cant even remember it raining?

• Yes it poured down in the second half.

• I have no recollection of it to be honest. More interested in giving "Mr Aylesbury Utd" Cliff Hercules constant stick.

• I remember the very oddly shaped Cliff Campbell scoring against, and giving us plenty of jip and various hand signals.

• M3GM3G
    edited September 2015

Yes He looked about 40 even back then, ran upright, really stiff. To be fair they had a really decent side from the mid 80's quite a few of our old boys ended up there didn't they.

• @eric_plant
    Despite Martin Taylor being by far our best ever permanent keeper, the best two
    keepers performances i have seen by a Wanderers keeper. Were firstly Gary Lesters at Witney, and secondly his display v Enfield in 'The great southbury Rd robbery'