Skip to content

Poor Old Peterborough!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34323987

It's quite telling that the chairman has already had to release a statement defending his choice of manager.

http://www.theposh.com/news/article/westley-2701757.aspx

Comments

• The chairman clearly hasn't watched Stevenage under Westleys' leadership?

• We're getting a reputation for doing the same as a team managed by Westley, those in glass houses etc etc.

• @robin admittedly, i only saw 2 wycombe games last season, we were worlds away from Westley's antifootball on those occasions.

• @robin reputation is one thing, reality is another. I have watched the majority of our recent encounters with Stevenage and the two teams I watched on the pitch had little in common. The thing that struck me most was that we refused to be bullied and once we matched their physicality our football carried us over the line. The problem with our opponents fans, (and indeed many of our own), is they can't see beyond the size of the spine of our side. They see Pierre, Holloway, Stewart, Thompson, Rowe etc and assume the rest. We do in fact have varied tactics and at times, play some decent football. I have not seen us bullied last season and so far this season but that doesn't make us a hoofball squad like Westleys' Mafia.

• What planet does he live on? 600+ passes & 25+ attempts at goal per game?

• Oh no. Not the dreaded "Yours in football..."

• Westleya signature looks like it's scrawled by a 6 month old.

• What the hell does "Yours in football..." actually mean?

• It means someone has trapped Graham inside a giant football, and the letter is a coded plea for rescue. The absurdity of 25+ attempts at goal as a minimum standard is a clue to the hidden meaning.

• "we may have lost 5-0 but we made over 600 passes and had lots of shots"

• @Chris and @eric_plant Oh, now I see.... Very good. I'm with you both and thanks for making me laugh! As for the signature it looks to me as if he has tried to write something which begins with W and rhymes with anchor, but given up before the end. I expect he was anxious to get out there and give his players some quality coaching.

• One unpleasant guy in Westley in, another one who is not a particulary nice chap out.

Eastleigh manager Hill resigns http://bbc.in/1j9VVqW

• The signature has a fucking smiley face in it using the tail on the Y.

This isn't the only reason he's a tool. But it would be enough if it was.

• understand Westley, but what is wrong with Richard Hill? TBH I had forgotten he existed.

As a little aside i once had a conversation with Alan Sugar when he expressed his regret that Hill had signed for Watford not Tottenham. Come to think of it, it was trhe only time I had a conversation with Alan Sugar.

• As a matter of interest where can one see the "passes per game" stats? I'm quite interested to know where we sit in that league and whether it really is an indicator of "good" (whatever that means) football.

• I once came across Mr Hill at Flackwell Heath Fc, I think they were playing Oxford in a friendly. After the match i saw Mr Hill, being obnoxious and belittling towards an elderly gentleman who worked in the Heatherns social club. Did he not walk out on WWFC, when he realised he would not be promoted from number 2 to manager after John Gregory departed ? He was also involved in a brawl and charged by the FA after a Chinese Olympic player had his jaw broken in a training ground friendly.
    I have heard numerous other stories about Dickie Hill and none of them complimentary.

• Whoscored.com have the passing stats for the FPL and championship but sadly not for league 1 or 2. Interestingly it looks like only Arsenal & Manchester City seem to get over 600 passes per game when you add up the various types that are recorded. So good luck with that Mr Westley...

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/4311/Stages/9155/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2014-2015

• I understand that scoring more goals than the opposition = good.
    every other measure that does not end in three points is irrelevant.

• I think Westley is on to something here though. As a manager you can't control how many goals are scored - the number of goals per game is low so the influence of luck is high. But a manager has much more influence on the number of passes and shots through deciding on the team's tactics. And if statistical analysis shows that the team with most passes also usually has the most goals, then having more passes will put you in good stead to win most games (although there is an issue regarding quality of passes as opposed to just raw numbers). In essence, do things right, and goals will follow.

• Richard Hill also said of Martin Rowlands "as long as I have a hole in my arse he will never be a footballer"

• @eric_plant One presumes that since that comment Mr Hill has since had a particular orifice sealed over?

• the one he tends to talk out of!