Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• First home game of the season I won't be attending. Not overly confident in all honesty, they are a good side and we can't stay unbeaten forever.

• They've lost 2 out of 6 games including against Stevenage and with our defence i'm not worried although it will probably be close, 1-0 or 2-1 to us i reckon.

• They haven't hit their stride as quickly as we have but could do so at any time. Narrow 1-0 for us but a nervy last 15.

• I would like to see:

Ingram
    Sido
    Pierre
    Rowe
    Jacobson
    Banton
    Bean
    O'nien
    Harriman
    Hayes (if fit)
    Thompson

In a 442.

Give the new guy and Sellers some time off the bench.

• My hopeful line-up

Ingram
    Sido
    Pierre
    Rowe
    Jacobson
    Harriman
    Bean
    O'Nien
    Sellers
    Thompson
    Holloway

• Hayes missing through injury so Ugwu starts with Holloway on the bench and Pierre starts.

• Out foxed. We missed a few easy chances by hitting the goal posts and the rest is history.

Unlucky lads.

• Definitely deserved at least a point. Can't believe the ball didn't creep in at least one more time.

• Our failure to convert the several chances we created was the difference between win and defeat. Nothing wrong with the way we set up, or individually player performances - although not all were at there best I thought.
    Ugwu looked lively and given game time could be useful. Very similar to Holloway so hopefully competition can push them both to produce better still.
    As usual some strange refereeing, not least the delay at the start. Do we suppose someone was objecting to the starting 11's?

• how we didn't win that ill never know

• Hard to find fault with the team. Just a few small errors, conceding the ball in the middle to allow Argyle to break for the corner and then giving away a soft free kick for the second.

Unlucky not to get at least a point. Obviously very frustrating to concede from two set pieces and not to get at least one more goal.

• Very enjoyable game between 2 good teams. 1st half we played really well, dominant for long spells, plenty of chances, but we just couldn't put them away. More chances came and went in the 2nd half, before Plymouth killed the game Wycombe style in the last 20mins. Not worried about losing, we'll win more than we lose playing like that.

• The delay was because of we had experimantal GPS equipment being worn underneath our shirts. The delay was because the ref had to see a authorisation letter from the FA which had to be displayed to the ref before he could allow the game to start. And on the game itself, very unlucky and on another day we would have won comfortably

• Only difference was that their goalmouth scrambles ended in the net and ours didn't. 9 times out of 10 we would have got something out of that game. C'est la vie.

• Thought Ugwu looked a handful. Strong, decent in the air and able to hold up the ball. Whether he has the goals and ability to get in behind the defence is another matter. Could have done better with first half chance. Although what Pierre was thinking thereafter I do not know

• @Wycombe85 summed it up perfectly for me. Disappointing result but not disappointed by the performance and on another day we'd have won that.
    On a side note, the ref really wanted to be an integral part of the match didn't he. The complete opposite of how a decent ref should be.

• On another day we could have won that quite comfortably with a glut of goals, alas we either didn't have shooting boots on, the ball didn't quite run for us at the crucial moment or the woodwork cruelly denied us. We will play far worse than we did against that decent Plymouth and win, not a huge amount to get disheartened about.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    On another day we could have won that quite comfortably with a glut of goals, alas we either didn't have shooting boots on, the ball didn't quite run for us at the crucial moment or the woodwork cruelly denied us. We will play far worse than we did against that decent Plymouth and win, not a huge amount to get disheartened about.

Spot on. We were entertained and not out played and we know we got more where that came from.

So hopefully we can put that blip behind us and march onto L'Orient as they too had few dodgey weeks. Time to exploit as we love playing on the road.

• I thought before the season started that Plymouth would be champions, and I don't think we'll come up against a much better team this season, so regardless of the result, to come away from a (thoroughly entertaining) game knowing we matched them and only lost due to bad luck and the margin of a couple of inches, is encouraging. Saturday is going to be something special and a real pointer to where we are this year.

• edited September 2015

We weren't going to win every home game, any more than we were going to stay undefeated all year. We pretty well matched Argyle but lost concentration on a couple of occasions at one end and were "unlucky" (read, inaccurate) when it counted at the other. The clearance that resulted in their second goal could have gone anywhere. Although the feeling of losing on a Saturday took a bit of getting used to, I'm not disheartened. I'd rather lose to a good side (and they were) through our misfortune having matched them in open play than to a poor side who come to defend and then nick a late winner.

• encouraging comments, thanks for posting peeps.

• First missed home game for me too...sounded close which is good. Last season we used to bounce back quite strongly after most defeats, so hopefully we'll get something out of the Os.