Skip to content

Terry Butcher moaning about only having 21 players to choose from ........

we only have 16.

Comments

• Quality versus Quantity lol.

• Talking of such things, with Pierre playing again tomorrow night, then having to fly back to the UK (flight time must be 15 hours+?), I can't imagine he'll be anywhere near 100% for Saturday, so guessing it'll be the same back four as against Pools.

• @MindlessDrugHoover Grenada is an 8 hour flight

• I'd imagine it's longer than that given last time I flew back from Tobago (same distance near enough) it took closer to 14 hours (albeit with a flight change in Barbados). Either way, I imagine he'll be far from 100%. I'd rather ret him than risk injury.

• Aye - three matches in just over a week, two long-haul flights, the stress of his first international appearances - I'd certainly rest Pierre this week. I can see Ainsworth sticking with a winning line-up, alternatively if he's worried about a strong Plymouth attack he can shift Harriman down to right-back, switch Banton to right-wing and either bring back Wood or give Sellers his first start on the left.

• If he's playing Tuesday evening the earliest he'll be back is Thursday morning after a long night flight. Little chance of playing on Saturday, I'd say.

• Port Au Prince > Madrid > London, 36 hrs rest, off the bench for last 20 mins up front (we have no fit strikers) > match winner / welcome home Arron...

• Thought match was tomorrow night.

• Everyone seems to remember Terry Butcher fondly as the guy who bled for his nation, but some of his media ramblings have shown him up to be real odious toad.

In particular I remember him being an overtly staunch anti-Beckham voice for pretty much the whole of Beckham's England captaincy years and beyond, even in spite of good performances. He was literally a rent-a-quote for journalists looking for a negative view.

He has always struck me as a very bitter and spiteful individual. There would be no tears from me if Newport stay where they currently find themselves all season.

• @leeronhagg said:
    Everyone seems to remember Terry Butcher fondly as the guy who bled for his nation, but some of his media ramblings have shown him up to be real odious toad.

In particular I remember him being an overtly staunch anti-Beckham voice for pretty much the whole of Beckham's England captaincy years and beyond, even in spite of good performances. He was literally a rent-a-quote for journalists looking for a negative view.

He has always struck me as a very bitter and spiteful individual. There would be no tears from me if Newport stay where they currently find themselves all season.

Same could be said for Scotty and Geoff commentary on a few of our players.

Geoff had a bitter go, even before one of our subs got on the pitch.

• Indeed. I still reckon last season for Gaz left the manager in waiting a bit peeved.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Indeed. I still reckon last season for Gaz left the manager in waiting a bit peeved.

Don't think is Gareth Ainsworth is your typical Football Manager and still believe it would have to be something extraordinary to lure our gaffer away to new ventures untold.

• the day Keith Scott is WWFC Manager is the day I would fear for our very existence. GA has done a fantastic job and were very used to winning now and thats a fantastic habit to have.

• I did not mean I expected Gaz to leave...only that someone else might have. And might be upset he didn't after Torquay.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I did not mean I expected Gaz to leave...only that someone else might have. And might be upset he didn't after Torquay.

After I reread your comment I get it. Lol

So easy to take things out of context.

• I very much doubt Aaron Pierre will be rested on Saturday. He will be back Thursday morning and I'd expect him to take no part in training in order to be fine for Saturday.

• "Never change a winning team", who has time for sentiment these days. It's busnez.

• Grenada went down 3-0 last night, AP played. I doubt he's played in two successive games when he's seen 3 goals go in for a long time, hope it hasn't thrown him.

• when people suggested Pierre was left out last season when we won at tranmere and danny performed so well they were told to shut up !!!!

• Nobody is suggesting he is left out because other players are better Rich, they are suggesting he is left out because he will be tired. That is the difference.

• @richmayes999 said:
    when people suggested Pierre was left out last season when we won at tranmere and danny performed so well they were told to shut up !!!!

You do know how these forums work ? It's for disscussion and expressing opinions.

I don't believe in a hundred years that Pierre will be left out anyway, but In my opionion you shouldn't change a winning side (unless forced to by injures), it's just an opionion that doesn't matter either way. I will shut up now !!!!

• I think he should be left out as the team did well without him. everybody should work for there place and if he wants to go and play for Grenada no disrespect they must be very poor if they lost 6-1 to Haiti.

• I also generally agree with the "don't change a winning side" maxim. However there have to be exceptions in any team. Wales for instance would always bring back Gareth Bale and we would bring back Ingram. I agree that Pierre should be rested for this game in view of his exertions over the last seven days.

• Pierre should play if he's fit and ready for it, seeing as he's been our best player this season.

If he's not, then he shouldn't.

• Awesome topic, working as intended and now I have read the replies, my opinion is swayed considerable I.e Bale/Wales situation, see the others side of debate. Yes, if Pierre is fit not jet legged first man on the team sheet.

Certainty goes to show the stress and nuances Football Managers are under.

• if he's "jet legged" I'd definitely have him as the first man on the team sheet...

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Back on the original point Mr Butcher has a wide and varied past as a manager as far as Scottish Highlands and Sydney Fc but not always been that great a success, otherwise wouldn't be at Newport you'd imagine with his playing reputation. Get the impression mostly a pretty dismal failure

I have been reading the Newport County Exiles forum and they seem to be in a bit of a mess atm.

Les the Lotto winner wants out and from what digested 15 of their players last year who got them to 9th in the League got culled and they basically replaced with cheaper Conference players. They are looking towards their Trust/Fans to take over and are in the process of finding 195k to take over.

As for Butcher, propping up the League 2 it don't look promising and with the bookies bet are favorites to be relegated.

One point in 7 games, conference orientated squad, lower attendences and ownership issues to be addressed, not looking rosy.

• thats one spot taken then, only the other one to make sure were nowhere near ! lmao