Skip to content

Hartlepool Match Report

Comments

• So many positives today. Rowe looked composed and technically excellent. JJ and Sido at their respective sharpest. Bean showing why he has always been popular at other clubs with a 100% showing. But the real stand out for me was O'Nien. Josh leaving left such a hole in our team but Luke performed that role superbly winning tackles, laying off balls, closing down he was awesome. Truly awesome.
    Harriman rightly got the plaudits and his performance showed why QPR might have been reluctant to cast him off in the summer and gave him a contract instead.
    Obviously a mention for the tow old boys up front. Their brains will see us through many a defence this season.

Finally its funny isn't it how Ingram made 2 or 3 fantastic saves that would feature on any highlights program and yet he barely gets a word in the reports. God we will miss him when he goes.

• I think you're doing Harriman a massive disservice on that 2nd goal. Didn't take a deflection as far as I could see, just a beautiful curling effort

• @eric_plant Harriman said on 3CR after the game it took a minor deflection, although I couldn't see it myself either.

• First chance I have had to go to Adams Park thus season and my observation were:

INGRAM- top.class and is destined for premiership and even international caps.
    ROWE- looked so comfortable at CB and on the ball is fantastic.
    SIDO - so impressed with him, thoight read the game and talking wad 1st class.
    JJ - what can I say? This guy will be one of best ever signings, still can't believe we have got him until 2017!
    DOCIEAN - looks a bit low of confidence to start however grew into the game, needs to win more headers thought!
    ONIEN - for me MOM did not stop running, composed and skillful, think we have found a heir to scowen
    BEAN - last season a liability, this year on fire, protects the back 4 so effectively, so glad that he is proving me wrong.
    HARRIMAN - looks great, lots of every just needs to improve finishing as should of got a least a Hatrick.
    BANTON - not startef brilliant however will come good just like PCH
    THOMPSON - lead the line well and links well with MF, non stop running and a nightmare for opposition defence.
    HAYES - can tell not 100% however still has the big of magic that opens up defences, one he scores his first they won't stop!

• Your observations are spot on. I can't work out why Dociean doesn't win more headers....when he is one on one he hardly ever seems to win one, he's a big lad as well. I guess it's all a matter of timing with him

• Dociean looked comfortable at full back, but is dreadful in the air. Hence Gaz cant trust him at CB again, and we have found ourselves with 3 more than useful right backs.

• He's currently 'dreadful' in the air. He is however young and just maybe we are good at coaching CB's so I guess the plan is he will learn and get a lot better.

In the meantime our two other more than useful right backs seem pretty good in the middle of defence and midfield so I don't have a problem if that's the way they all fit together if needs be

• No deflection on that one as far as I can see. Only the defender could confirm

• I agree. I was right in line with it, the spin which led to the swerve round the keeper and back into the goal would be unlikely to have survived anything but the most insignificant deflection en route.

• What you need is the cricket snicko machine to resolve the matter.

• Just thinking, we've conceded twice so far and on both occasions the scorer has been shown a red card later in the match. Is there a record somewhere for scorers / red cards in a season?

• BSEBSE
    edited September 2015

A bit of a comedy from the game

• One other moment missing from the highlights was Sido's fantastic double block in the second half. He really was a star on Saturday. I reckon it will be touch and go whether GA gives Aaron a few days to recover from jet-lag and sticks with Sido and Danny at CB at the weekend.

• I think against Plymouth you will see Pierre and Rowe with Sido moving to full back however well he has done, and maybe a loan signing coming in on Wednesday as we only have 1 fit forward at the club.

• Was that Docian who missed the ball out by the touch line and then his man who went on to score their goal? If so I understand what Gaz is talking about becoming Wycombized, needing to instill a never say die attitude; it seemed half arsed! Or am i being too harsh and it was someone else entirely...

• I think it was Banton, who then didn't follow the man into the box resulting in the goal.

• BFP+NorthernEcho=<3

• It was Banton. It does look from the highlights as though he should have done better and, with a bit more desire and not much effort, could have stopped Magnay from getting the wrong side of him or at least put him off his stride. A more "Wycombised" player would have made a more determined attempt to get in the guy's way and stop him running through, so still some learning and buy-in to the Wycombe way of giving your all required for Banton.

Early days, and hopefully he will learn quickly, but some of Banton's actions on Saturday were pure comedy. I think most fans are probably laughing about them now. Had we not gone on to win the match, however, I suspect the mirth would likely have been replaced by criticism.

• I'm not sure a professional player needs to be "Wycombised" to do the basics of the game. He didn't go with his runner when he should have done. Tracking a runner isn't purely a Wycombe tactic....

• Did Argyle not offer him a new contract, or did they offer him one but he preferred us? If the former he may feel he has a point to prove on Saturday. That might get his commitment levels up.

I know people talk of him as pacy but I certainly didn't think he was on Saturday. He looked curiously ungainly - he looks as if he ought to be quick but isn't - almost exactly the opposite of Garry Thompson in this respect who looks heavy but has an impressive turn of speed. Maybe he's just not yet as fit as he needs to be.

• Thompson played very well on saturday I thought. An excellent signing

• I've been very impressed with Garry Thompson so far. Strong, pacey, great work rate. He's exactly the sort of striker that works with the system we play.

• what kick and rush lol

• Hi blueh_w! love the new username.

• who is blueh_w ????

• Someone with the same sense of 'kick and rush' humour