Skip to content

Match day thread: Hartlepool

Comments

• My phone died couldn't update sorry,probably the quietest one so far @StrongestTeam. The new lad Donacien did much better at RB today than he did as CB against Dagenham. How on earth Oyenuga stayed on the pitch after that tackle on Max kretz ill never know.

• What should have been an easy victory against a limp pools team, was only made difficult by the referees' ineptitude.

• a great performance as a team. When we take our created chances it will be a cricket score.

• @bill_stickers didn't that ref miss some chances in the first half? Awful.

All joking aside I'm not sure another amazingly poor Deadman reffing performance had any impact on the result. It did though show a complete lack of respect for player safety and showed how bad refereeing can turn a game in to a scrappy mess.

• edited September 2015

Hard to deny Harriman MOM but Sido had a fantastic game. I thought O'Nien stood out too.

• O'Nien looks a great acquisition, he had a fantastic game today.

• Fully agree about O'Nien, why he was ever dropped for McGinn is a mystery.

• O'nein never stopped running 100% tenacity.

• There were some terrific performances today, Harriman got into some very good positions going forward, and could well have got himself a hat-trick if he'd taken the glorious chance he had early in the game. Sido was fantastic at centre back, strong in defence but also a class act playing the ball out. Gary Thompson had a terrific game too, some good intelligent forward play that deserved a goal.

When the referee for the game was announced, we knew we were going to get a clown and that's precisely what we got. From the off Hartlepool were looking to see how much they could bend the rules in terms of off and on-the-ball shoving. When they realised that Mr D. Deadman was going to be blithely ignore it they got away with it with near impunity (at least two good shouts for penalties were ignored whilst Deadman was more than happy to award Hartlepool free-kicks in their own area for far softer offences). The red card was deserved, though there should have been a second in injury time when one of Pools players went straight through our man's standing foot with a premeditated lunge.

All in all there is a lot to be happy about - we kept on top of the game despite the injury situation and the incompetence of the referee where teams often come unstuck.

• How nice it was to see the team lined up in 4-4-2; how lovely to see flowing football on the deck, with players all in their correct positions (other than Sido and Donacien, who both did fine swapped over).

Harriman was superb - and there was a clear plan to hold the ball up and then cross to a late-breaking Harriman sneaking up through the channel. His first goal was the fourth attempt at that - it's great to see some training ground gameplanning pay off.

The best part of today for me was Luke O'Nien's performance. He was everywhere; almost every tackle worked; he got the ball to a Wycombe player on all but one occasion; he was strong; he created the first goal brilliantly; he got forward; played a few neat tricks; he kept going throughout. He'd showed glimpses of this against York and Barnet but today was a revelation; I hope he gets to keeps his place and develops a consistent partnership with Bean.

I thought Banton played well, just lacking in that final shot in the box. Maybe that's a confidence thing. I also thought he committed himself in the tackle a little too much (he's now learnt to play the Ainsworth way, hence the start) but didn't always win them, which left Jacobson a little vulnerable at the back sometimes. Bringing Sellers on was a clever move, but Banton absolutely merited his place ahead of Wood and I hope he keeps it if Sammy's fit again next week.

Unless he's jetlagged Pierre clearly replaces Donacien next week. The only other change I'd consider making would be Holloway for Hayes (although neither may be fit). It was another ineffective match from the captain, maybe he needs a couple of weeks out to properly recover from whatever knock he's carrying.

• Comedy moment of the game was when Banton and O'Nien tackled each other in the corner and boh ended up on their backsides.

• MOM for me was either the impressive Harriman or Joe Jacobson. He had a blinder at left back and I don't recall either right midfielder getting any change out of him all game.

As for left midfield, I would star Sellers next week. Banton had a poor game today and offered very little and Wood has hardly hit the heights of the last 2 seasons as yet.

• I thought Hayes played well first half then faded. Could of done with Amadi-Holloway in the 2nd half tbh, let's hope he's fit for sat.

• Hayes ineffective?!?! He directly assisted both goals? Solid performance against a much improved Pools team to last year who looked dangerous going forward (though ropey at the back). The only disappointment for me was how we seemed to stop playing for the rest of the first half once we scored. Banton I'm sure will thrill and frustrate in equal measure (a typical winger I guess)

• And the ref was as expected dire all around for both teams. No decisiveness at all

• Hayes linked up nicely with Thomson, O'Nien and Harriman going forward and nearly stabbed in from the corner routine. I thought he did fine.

Overall, today was our strongest performance of the season and a win today makes a point from each of the last two pleasing given that we were not at our best.

Special mentions for Harriman, Jacobsen and Jombati. Although Rowe, Thomson and the resurgent Marcus Bean were all excellent. Banton still needs to step up his game. Janoi much improved second half and made some good challenges but still has a lot to learn.

Pools looked poor though in all honesty. Some decent play around the box and a few openings but very slow on the turn at the back.

We should have made the game more comfortable with 3-4 good chances inside the first half hr.

• Harriman and O'Nien just superb today. It's just such a good time to be supporting WWFC, and the pitch was superb again. Happy days indeed

• My two pence worth. Rowe was man of the match. As said above some comedy moments from both teams and the Deadman. How was that not a second red card for the foul on Max. My only criticism is that I thought we could have gone for a third goal rather than give the monkey hangers a sniff of a result. Fair play to Donacien after a really poor game against the Daggers (McFlurry got a brace for them today) he didn't hide today, and a fine performance at right back today, ok on the ground just needs to get a jumping coach. 2nd in the league and undefeated. Happy days.

• Worth noting that the clown Deadman didn't even notice the offence that lead to their red. The fourth official had to tell him.

• Can't dispute Harriman for the man of the match but for me Onien came a close second , I thought he was excellent today . So was Jombati and Bean has become Mr consistent which is great .

• Can't add much more than has already been said, but I will anyway!

For me the outstanding performances were Thompson (lead the line fantastically and never stops working), Harriman (2 well taken goals and always looked a threat, as well fulfilling defensive duties when required), O'Nien (tirelessly covered every blade of grass and showed some good flashes of skill) & Jombati (looks like he's played in that position his whole career).
    Any one of those 4 could have taken the MOM award without any complaints.

But that feels a tad harsh on Rowe, Jacobson & Bean who were all mightily impressive as well.
    Ingram was his usual dependable self and made a couple of top saves in the first half.
    I thought Hayes linked play nicely and did well until he went off, although it was obvious he was carrying some kind of knock which was holding him back slightly.
    Donacien did well enough at right back - couple of scary moments, but on the whole I think we can rely on him to fill in when there are injuries.

Which leaves Banton, who I felt was the weak link today. He just never seems to me to be in control of the ball, never quite sure what he's going to do with it. I can see how that can be positive for a winger as the defender he's facing can therefore never be sure either...! He did manage to leave the ball behind a couple of times, and there was that moment when he decided to tread on it in the middle of the penalty area rather than lash it home... But then he did link up nicely with Harriman a few times when he was over on the right and managed to get off a couple of shots from the left so it wasn't all bad.

Sellars looked positive when he came on and I'd like to see him given a start at some point - although I hope Wood recovers from this injury and hits form soon as he gives us so much when he's playing well.
    Max also made a good impression and managed to cause the Hartlepool defence a few problems.

All in all a very good performance, especially given the enforced personnel changes - some lovely football at times in the first half and solid, resolute defending when required. Just hope we can clear up all these niggly little injuries that are cropping up.

• I just think Banton is thinking a little too much about his game. Totally understandable after a pre season of Ainsworth instruction but you can almost see his brain ticking. When it comes more naturally I think he'll do ok. He's never going to be consistent but hopefully he can win us a few games.

Michael Harriman is a top player and hopefully we can extend his loan when the time comes

• Hartlepool were lucky to finish with 10 kicking Max on the ground and the reckless tackle towards the end both deserved reds in addition to the WWE stuff on Sellers.

• Banton looked rusty, though I think he's got the raw ability and pace to come good. He could be as big a player for us as Joel Grant eventually became, though he needs to put some hard yards in. Hopefully he'll also be less tentative in the tackle, as his pace can really help press the opposition high up the pitch - a key feature in our success last season.

• Agree with most on here...You have to hand it to Gaz, he can organise a defence. Sido and Rowe were excellent. Donacien made up for the Daggers debut, Harriman was excellent and though Banton was not sure what to do with the ball on the penalty spot and decided to fall over instead of kick it...I think he will improve with game time. Thompson and Jacobson again...largely unsung, but vital players. Ref and officials were truly awful...but I don't think Hartlepool were as bad as others might believe...so considering the two games we have coming up....that's three good points!