Skip to content

Time for Bloomfield?

I think we're all agreed (or at least the prevailing wisdom) is that we're really struggling for creativity in the centre of midfield this season. Neither McGinn nor O'Nien yet look like they're the answer, though I can see O'Nien being a late-season revelation.

We could always pull off the surprise of the season and sign Saunders. Something tells me that in eight hours time he'll still be a Brentford player though.

In which case, our vice-captain has sat quietly on the bench each match without getting a minute of game-time so far. Perhaps this weekend it's time to unleash Matt Bloomfield and see if the old dog can still teach the pups some new tricks?

Few on here (certainly not me!) would have envisaged Marcus Bean starting the season as our best and most consistent midfielder. I've never been a huge admirer of either player but perhaps it's now time to resurrect his partnership with Matty and see if that can shine?

Comments

• edited September 2015

'Mr Wycombe' brings many positives to the squad but creativity in mid-field isn't one of them. Also, why are we always obsessed by players who used to play for us, Saunders has gone, let it go (just like we did with Mawson). So pleased for Bean, he now needs Mc, O' or indeed Max 'this is my season' (13-14) Kretch to step up along side him as the creative influence as we have no money to bring in fresh thinking.

• Yes I think it is.

It never ceases to amaze how Matt seems to fall back in the pecking order at the start of each season.

So far I've seen nothing in either O'Nien or McGinn that suggests they're better players than Matt and deserve to be ahead of him in the queue. They're just newer.

Both have their merits, but then again so does Matt, who was probably our most consistent midfielder in the second half of last season and seems to have been harshly treated so far in this campaign.

• I'd have no problem with a midfield of Bloomfield, Bean and Harriman from the options we have available - but I still think we need another creative midfielder in the squad.

I've not written off McGinn and O'Nien but they haven't thrilled me so far. Sellers has looked good but seeing as we have Jacobson and Wood, and we don't often play with a left winger I can't see much room for him.

• McGinn brings nothing to the team. O'Nien has a lot of potential given time.

• I've only seen the Dagenham game thus far but I thought that McGinn played really well in that 2nd half. You need a balance in midfield and I personally don't think there's room for Bean and Bloomfield

• As I didnt see game cant really comment, but a little surprised how reports suggest Saturdays team was set up. Wood is an industrious wide midfielder, Banton more your traditional winger/wide forward. Wouldn't it have made more sense to have Wood as part of the midfield three, and Banton on the left of the front three rather than the other way around. Have I misunderstood something.

personally think the squad is short of a pacy alternative at the front.

• I think both McGinn and O'Nien offer more than bloomers. O'Nien would battle more and win more and McGinn would offer more on the ball in possession

• Wood is industrious but nothing else but run around and tackle a bit. McGinn and O'Nien nothing special but more do a job. Harriman has been superb in both positions and actually attacks opposition's backline majority of the time whereas McGinn only came alive when McClure was dismissed.

Really need a creative midfielder who can take a player on and open up oppositions, have a def touch to put through balls to our forwards other than the usually hoof up top and our forwards then compress their backs from turning etc.

Getting tad predictable and not difficult for other teams to put one or two big guys to win them important headers.

Can Max or Broomfield fit this role ? Yes just get past the first man.

• Let's take a moment to appreciate that Luke O'Nien has so far played in a 3-0 and 2-0 win as his only 2 appearances, yet hasn't played a minutes football since.

• Pity we didn't go for Connor Smith who Watford have loaned to Stevenage,

• @clifty04 said:
    Let's take a moment to appreciate that Luke O'Nien has so far played in a 3-0 and 2-0 win as his only 2 appearances, yet hasn't played a minutes football since.

I see O'Nien as stopper, blocker midfielder who can run around all day and night. I'm not deluded even though we have had a good start, we are not playing with fluidity and we do not play much football in midfield at all. No one two's and take a player, in fact our best players on the ball has been are back four.

Creativity hasn't been our forte so far, just hope it changes and we create some through balls for the forward line, instead turn and hoof it.

• As I have mentione before I was disappointed that Harriman and Banton were not used more on the right in the Daggers game during the second half...they had space and were calling for the ball only for it to be hoofed up through the very packed middle. Beano seems to get on the ball most in midfield, but largely to break up play rather than to create. It's a poser.

• I think a bit of perspective would come in handy. Yes we are short of a creative midfielder (and a speedy forward) but that's about all. That (and luck with injuries) is enough to allow us to compete with all but the very best at this level. We have a back five that most in this league would be delighted with and a couple of experienced strikers who've been around enough to make life difficult for a fair few L2 defenders. We've also got a sizeable pool of midfielders all of whom seem reasonably adept at our level if called into action. I agree the midfield hasn't yet gelled but to be honest if it did even I would fancy our chances (I'm not a natural optimist when it comes to WWFC) for promotion.

Look back 13 months and given our budget I for one can't believe what a good squad GA has assembled. We should be a lot more thankful and positive I think.

• we've got an awesome defence and a sensational goalkeeper. Loads and loads of games will come down to the odd goal this season and we've got a great chance of keeping clean sheets which means we've got a great chance of doing alright

• @eric_plant Agreed.

At this level, its building from the back that gets you results over the course of a season.

You don't need a 25 goal a season striker in League 2 because defences are sloppy, so the goals will come eventually.

• Will have a beter view on prospects at end of September. Hartlepool still riding their wave of a miracle escape last season ( we know what that is like) and then four tough games against teams I would expect to be top 10 come end of season.