Skip to content

Love the Gola League debut article on The Gasroom Great Memories

2»

Comments

• What a great Night that was.

• I know I'm a bit late. My apologies, but I have only just joined and am enjoying catching up. Excellent comments; great pictures and wonderful memories. Not mentioned here but does anyone remember the Boxing Day game away to Nuneaton Borough? We were expecting to beat them. I got soaked walking down to Lily's Walk and waiting there to catch the supporters' bus; we played like drains and got stuffed 3-0 by, I think, one of only two or three teams who were below us in the league at the time (and who were, themselves, absolutely dreadful) - at a pretty ropy old ground; nearly froze to death as the afternoon wore on (lost all feeling in my feet); got back on the "Jeffways Special" to come home, still soggy from the morning exploits, and found that there was no heating. I don't think I have ever been so cold in my life. Why do I look back on this with such a feeling of nostalgia? I know ... probably because there is always the hope of something like the game, about a month later, away to Enfield (top of the league at the time) who played us off the park, an absolute quagmire, but could only muster a 2-1 lead by the 90 minute mark: then we popped in a couple of quick goals in injury time to nick all the points. As unbelievable really, in its own way, as our recent trip down to Torquay. I remember trying to get out of the ground as quickly as possible before Enfield called the police! Utterly blissful happy days from a bygone, somehow innocent, era. I am an old pillock with loads of happy memories courtesy of our wonderful football club. Thank you WWFC and COYB!

• Welcome @AlgernonFudgebucket, the game at Southbury Road is a clear reason why you shouldnt leave the game until the end. We were totally outplayed that day and Enfield should of been out of sight but when super cool Bobby Dell levelled with his second penalty to make it 2-2, that alone was probably more than we deserved but when Westy popped up with the winner, well fantastic scenes amongst the travelling Chairboys/girls support who stayed. There were quite a few who had already left when we were trailling and thought we had lost until hearing the results on Sports Report at 5 o'clock. One of the best feelings watching the Wanderers, especially away from home to steal the points against one of your oldest rivals on their patch when you didnt deserve it.

• @Kimble_Blue Great to reminise about a great game. Just not sure the result would have been anywhere near Sports Report in those days. More like Hutch and Clubcall

• Thank you @Kimble_Blue and I believe you are quite correct about the result of the game at Enfield being broadcast on the radio. There was a story, going round at the time, that our manager (Paul Bence) was not at the game because he'd travelled north in order to scout our upcoming Trophy opponents (Leek Town) and upon hearing the result, on the car radio, as was driving home he was so surprised that he nearly crashed.

• @Kimble_Blue Was before even those days, would have been JG on 01494 446763.

• @AlgernonFudgebucket No suprise Paul Bence was not there to wtness 'the Great Southbury Rd Robbery' as he was no longer Wanderers manager !!

• @ChasHarps Must have been Alan Gane then. I know PB left the club around that time (due to increased commitments required to his Morrells job) but cannot remember the timescale exactly now - it was a long time ago. The story still stands, however; although it may have been apocryphal it was circulated at the time.