Skip to content

Ex Wanderers shine in 5 goal thriller at the New Den

Unfortunately I couldn't get to Morecambe so instead went to see how our ex-players were doing at the New Den as Millwall took on Barnsley in League One. Starting for Millwall was Fred Onyedinma and Alfie Mawson and Josh Scowen for Barnsley. A lovely evening for football and the next 90 minutes didn't disappoint.

I remember somebody at Wycombe saying that Fred Onyedinma just doesn't realise how good he is. He was a constant threat tonight and put the home side ahead whilst lying on the ground about a foot from goal. He started on the right but switched to the left and was a constant thorn in the Barnsley defence. Barnsley deservedly equalised before half-time through Sam Winnall and it was all square at the break.

While teenager Onyedinma shone out for Millwall, it was teenage Arsenal loanee Dan Crowley for Barnsley who kept turning the Millwall full-backs inside out. Josh Scowen played well in midfield, knocking some nice passes around but got caught a couple of times over-elaborating in wide positions. Alfie Mawson did very well and scored a lovely volley just after half-time to put Barnsley 2-1 in front. Back came Millwall and a near-post header by Onyedinma levelled it up for Barnsley before a late Nyatanga header won it for the visitors in the dying seconds.

So the 3 ex Wanderers were instrumental in an excellent match. Both sides looked weak at full-back but Millwall have many more problems to overcome, especially with a lack of movement from the front two of Lee Gregory and Steve Morison. Fred Onyedinma can't do it all on his own - but he tried and nearly succeeded tonight.

Comments

• Great to see our legacy shining through but I would also point out that Fred was unplayable in the first couple of months of his loan with us, as good as Defoe when he played for Bournemouth and he tore us apart. Then he became the other type of unplayable, i.e. the one where he has to sit on the bench. I hope that maturity gives him consistency. What I don't think he needs at this point in his career is the pressure cooker of a relegation battle and being so relied upon to carry a team. He's just a kid still.

• Still remember the home game where we played Fred 5'6" upfront as a lone forward against a 6'2" Newport CB, again unplayable.

• @Ciderk1d - I know you were exaggerating to make a point but, in fairness to Fred, he is just under 6'1". If he has grown 6 inches in 6 months, he's going to take some stopping by the end of the season! He turns 18 in November. Modest, polite lad and clearly a great prospect.

• @micra, arrrghh, I never get anything past you do I :(

• Josh looks completely comfortable against this Premier League midfield. Maws is captain too.