Skip to content

Very rare photos from the old Dolphin Stadium

Comments

• @ChasHarps What would be really great would be photos of our FA Cup 1st round replay there in 1970 in front of 6,800 - I went to the home game but missed the replay. Never actually went to the Dolphin.

• Ive seen one black and white one in an old Slough programme, but pictures of the action from the Dolphin are not easy to come by.

• 11,000 estimated to be at the Dolphin when we beat Maidenhead in the Berks & Bucks Cup Final in 1923. That might have felt a little over-crowded...

• Locals knew it as The Greyhound Stadium because of the dog track around it. Went to some enjoyable functions there in the early 70's.

• Correct, Mr MBS - 442 metres standard race distance, inside Sumner hare. Home of the Scurry Gold Cup, a very prestigious event in the greyhound world. Hey Chas, can I go on about different types of hares at dog tracks again now?

• Impressive big screen!

• @Buzz
    Possible Some good news here,especially with the direct train link from HWY to Oxford opening in October and further plans to reopen the Cowley link.
    I'm pretty sure the Oxford track had an outside Hare, but i will leave it to Mr Buzz
    to inform us of exactly what kind,colour and weight of Hare was used at the track in Blackbird Leys.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/resources/images/4134161.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc3

Hopes rise for dog racing revival at Oxford Stadium

HOPES of a return of dog racing at Oxford Stadium have been revived after campaigners were granted extra help in trying to buy it if it goes on sale.

Oxford City Council has listed the Sandy Lane building as an asset of community value, meaning local people will be guaranteed a six-month window to put together a bid. But that will only happen if owner GRA Acquisitions Ltd decides to put it on the open market, with those who want to see greyhound racing return there admitting they are in a “stalemate” with the business.

• Personally, I would love to see both dogs and speedway return to Oxford (btw, deffo an outside Sumner hare at Oxford, 450m standard race distance...)

• Where was it and what's there now?