Skip to content

Yesterdays attendance

The crowd yesterday was the largest seen at Adams park for a 1st rnd Lge cup match for 16 years.
It was back in 1999 when the format was still a 2 legged affair, that the visit of Wolves attracted a gate of
Maybe the town is slowly learning to fall back in love with the Wanderers once again.

Comments

• We can but hope!

• What do you think is the major contributory factor in the increase in attendances.
    Wasps leaving, the play off final, better coverage in the local press or maybe word of mouth.

• Probably all of that plus a feeling that it is our (not Hayes) club again

• Personally I attend more games because it is "my club", yes the results on the field help, but actually the wake up call was when we got close to not existing at all, if we had been relegated to the conference. One thing that hasn't helped us recently is our home form. The casual supporter needs to be entertained, so they come back for more, then over time they become hooked. I am hoping the new pitch will sort this problem, and judging by the first 2 games we are back in the entertainment business at home.

• I'm not at all sure you can identify a trend on the basis of a single cup match. It helps that Fulham were well supported - maybe their fans had reason to attend and reconnect with real football after the Premier League experience. I think that (a) football has somehow changed over the last 20 years and (b) we haven't replaced/ held onto the fans that supported the club in the early football league years, when we won a lot more and had a charismatic manager. And as Surrey Wanderer has suggested the style of football is also important. It is a results business but in the lower divisions I sense the sort of dullness served up by Peter Taylor may have been successful but left nothing to recommend itself to casual visitors.

• Spot on as usual @Baldric .

• Wasps leaving has maybe led to an increase in the family section but the reason for improved season ticket sales and casual support is simple, Success on the field and with the current squad looking equally as good, if not better, then hopefully that will continue.

• I'd agree with that analysis @marlowwanderer

• Fans support their club not matter what, the rest of the support base like winners and being entertained imo. So the style and brand of football is paramount to get those "undecided" to come alone on our journey.

My only gripe is occasionally we tend to lump it upfront and hope our forwards can get hold if it. Don't mind that pressure play, but the player who hoofs it, surely should then get into a position to support as a team.

Can't wait for Barnet. COYB's.

• Wembley. Simple as imho