Skip to content

Some thoughts on last night

I was surprised with the attendance of over 4000. Credit to Fulham for bringing over 1500 and putting some much needed money into the coffers.

The pitch is just superb and the light rain made the surface even more suitable for fast passing football, not a bobble in site as the ball skimmed across the lush surface.

Not too fussed about us being knocked out, though a good FA cup run would be really good. Our small squad is seriously small to allow run in the League Cup. It was an enjoyable game and we matched Fulham for long periods, though class did tell in the end!

Bean played his best match for me in a Wycombe shirt. Rowe was impressive as well, as was McGinn and Harriman, who was really quick again. I'm surprised Banton didn't start, his pace a useful asset in setting up chances...he looked promising when he came on, as did Ryan Sellars. Thompson looked a little slow to me at times, but maybe the knock he sustained affected this. He seems to be a similar player to Hayes, and I'm not sure they are both mobile enough to play in the same attack. Holloway continues to impress.

All in all, a lot to be positive about last night, and if we can remain fairly injury free, we could be in for a really good season. I think Gaz will dip into the loan market to bolster the troops when needed, and I think we'll see Saunders here again at some point. I can see a win at Barnet!!

Comments

• Pretty much agree with the thoughts above. Danny Rowe did look good didn't he? It's going to be interesting how he, Pierre and Stewart fit together during the season as they are all too good to be left out. I suppose we can't be as lucky with injuries and suspensions this year so I guess it will sort itself out.

One random thought I had about last night was how difficult it seemed to be getting out of the ground last night. Too many cars were allowed on the road and blocking the car park. I hear the club can't control the traffic on the road any more so I hope the crush at the gate and the weaving cars down the road don't get any worse.

• The bottleneck created at the exit is an accident waiting to happen.