Skip to content

Ainsworth's budget: £1.1m?

Interesting snippet from GA's post-match interview, quoted in the Guardian:

“I’m really pleased. They had players out there worth 10 years of my budget.”

Could he be referring to Ross McCormack, signed last year for a reputed £11m?

I wonder where an annual budget of £1.1m would put us in the League Two table.

Comments

• I think it was an off the cuff comment, I think our budget is nearer the lower end of the league which is 850/900k

• Our player wages budget is lower then you think it's around 1/2 a mil and that's from the top and i won't name names !

• @OX66 if our players wage budget is 500,000, then on average their all getting 26,000 a week if you count 19 players which is 26 times more than the highest earners

• @eimajcameron I think you mean £26,000 a year which is about right.

• Idle speculation is futile and illiteracy and Innumeracy do not help, I'm afraid.

• Micra! How can we have a gasroom WITHOUT idle speculation, illiteracy and innumeracy

• I reckon we've got to be spending significantly more than £500k on salaries.

Here's a rough guesstimate...

FIVE PLAYERS ON LOW SALARIES (SAY £20,000 PA)
    Stewart, Sellers, Kretzschmar, O'Nien, Lynch

NINE PLAYERS ON MEDIUM SALARIES (SAY £35,000 PA)
    Ingram, Jombati, Jacobson, McGinn, Pierre, Bloomfield, Banton, Holloway, Rowe

FIVE PLAYERS ON HIGH SALARIES (SAY £50,000 PA)
    Thompson, Bean, Hayes, Wood, Harriman

That gives an average salary of £35,000 and a total wage bill of £665,000 (or £764,000 including National Insurance and workplace pensions contributions).

Hopefully the wage budget is at least £850,000 to give us a chance of signing Sam Saunders or someone else pretty good on loan, should we need them!

• @aloysius I think your breakdown of high, low and medium earners is about right, although i do wonder if you've got Bloomfield and Harriman backwards, but i'd be really surprised if Thompson, Bean, Hayes and Wood weren't earning more.

All conjecture of course, and slightly gauche discussing how much people earn!

• I'm with Floyd although I've sat at work and thought is s/he worth it.

• Back in the early to mid nineteen nineties I worked for Midland bank . There was an ex Blackburn and West Brom player playing for us and his account was with the bank . He was earning £40k a year then . My guess is that our top earners may well be earning a bit more than suggested on here as this was of course 20 years ago !

• Seems this subject pops up every now and again and now like always the speculation is entirely pointless.

• edited August 2015

@bourne70 Not sure about that, the increase in money in football hasn't really trickled down. Some players might command a premium but otherwise I think many clubs struggling with historic debt can't pay that much.

• Good to know my personal details would be safe with the Midland then.

• God thinking how much cigarettes are now (in relation to inflation) think what his wages would have to be now

• Excellent, rational analysis by @aloysius. At the risk of being accused of hypocrisy, I'd say the annual salary bill suggested is probably a reasonable guesstimate.
    Love the Simon Garner allusion.

• I'm sure that last year it was 1.3m so probably around that this time round. I'm also sure that a player Hayes wouldn't sign a 2 year contact for 50K a year! more like 75K+. You don't get to the playoffs with a 0.5m budget.

• Split the difference then.

• PS. I probably should have referred to Gareth Ainsworth's Budget rather than the annual salary bill - not necessarily the same figure.

• Don't know how relevant this is, but this was a (edited) post from an Eastleigh fan last year (they were deemed sixth on the list of high spenders, our friends from Bristol top). If we assume their chairman was being honest and 750K was their wage bill I'd say we weren't that much higher given where we were/are.

Our Chairman, Stewart Donald posted this reply:-

There is a lot made of our budget which is always the easy excuse when we beat a team. This is where I feel for Richard, with Saturday being a prime example as the Chester Chronicle says we are probably under achieving in 6th with our budget!! It will all come out in the wash but I would say Rendel is about right with our position but a few teams may surprise him as a few are over and under. There is no point being secretive on budgets as it becomes public knowledge. I would say you could throw a blanket over the teams between 4th and 10th but i reckon we are 8th. 3 teams below us will be above us and 4 above us are below on your list Rendel would be my best guess come May.

Ours is likely to come out at just under 750k all in, bonuses, accommodation the lot. One of our new signings was surprised to hear that some of our players have second jobs (only a couple to be fair) to make ends meet as his manager had told him that all our players earn at least 1k a week. The fact is that there are only 3 who do in the squad which amazed him but that is the convenient spin. Our budget is healthy but not crazy. We try and get value for money. January is a prime example of how we run. We lost Fleetwood, Wright, Yemi, Collins and got in Partington ,Burton, Dan, Pell and Howard. All the players that left received at least the same wage if not more. The net result is that our wage bill has remained the same.