Skip to content

Bootlegger

They turned 6 of us away from the bar today because one of us was wearing a Wycombe strip.

I appreciate that every establishment has the right to turn anyone away.

However, they were showing football on the telly!!! Every person in there was watching Sky Sports, composed of 22 people wearing football shirts!

Disgraceful, pious and pointless.

To be fair the barman was quite apologetic...

Comments

• Genuinely hard to fathom, now that the blanket ban on football has been lifted. Clearly a pub over the road from a railway station has reason to be cautious, and there have been problems in the past, but turning away home fans seems bizarre. Maybe this is something that the Trust might raise with the pub, as this might have more impact than individual comments through Facebook or otherwise. It may be as simple as crossed wires given the historic ban.

• well not everyone had a football shirt. I certainly didn't. Though most of the dozen or so York fans I was chatting to in the beer garden had York City shirts on. Good atmosphere and beer so do agree it is a slightly stupid policy

• If that's their attitude, they deserve to go out of business, lack of decent pubs in Wycombe, unlike today's visitors York

• Its possible others may know better but I think the Bootlegger is in robust financial health at present. The new owner has more money than the previous one.

• Maybe he could pay for some more bar staff then

• I think if you go into any number of pubs, there are problems with speed of service, sometimes due to lack of staff or staff competence and other times down to lay-out of the bar area front and back, or staff only being able to use one till for 'security reasons'. [ Wetherspoons a prime example of this] I understand from the pub Facebook page they are looking to recruit at the current time. Of course having too many staff adds to the cost of the beer, so its not a simple equation. In my experience some pubs are consistently understaffed, but it is also often the case that customers arrive in surges, and the log-jams are relatively temporary.

• @Baldric said:
    I think if you go into any number of pubs, there are problems with speed of service, sometimes due to lack of staff or staff competence and other times down to lay-out of the bar area front and back, or staff only being able to use one till for 'security reasons'. [ Wetherspoons a prime example of this] I understand from the pub Facebook page they are looking to recruit at the current time. Of course having too many staff adds to the cost of the beer, so its not a simple equation. In my experience some pubs are consistently understaffed, but it is also often the case that customers arrive in surges, and the log-jams are relatively temporary.

Slightly off topic but Wetherspoons' operation of the Trent Bridge Inn during Test Matches should be the model for all big events.

It's extraordarily well done - maximum 5 minute wait even at lunch. Must be about 20 staff behind the bar with a security bloke despatching punters to the next available server.