Skip to content

Match day thread: York

2»

Comments

• Didn't play all that amazing but that's the sign of a good side-win not playing amazing. O'Nien had a good debut today.

• All too easy really. Thought Bean had a good game - stopped most of their play before it got anywhere near us. Thompson was deceptively quick (or their defence was really slow). Pierre and Stewart looked sharp, JJ class and Sido wonderfully entertaining

• I think Bean should have been man of the match with all his effort and closing down. He must be a real pain to play against.

• I thought Bean was probably our weakest link today. Apart from a few good looking challenges, he mis-controlled possession and didn't provide enough cover.

We won because we took our chances and Pierre and Stewart were a cut above.

Woody lacked sharpness in possession too.

• They looked a poor old outfit.

• That was as easy a win as we'll get all season. We looked no better than OK but still looked like we might score every time we attacked. I'm not sure how to reconcile those two things but suspect that York may be in for a tough old season.

• Distribution Dave had a shocker for them Marv did okay and was subbed oh and the own goal is a classic.

• I read,"Thought Bean had a good game" than "I think Bean should have been man of the match" and then "I thought Bean was probably our weakest link today" .
    Can anyone explain such a wide difference of opinion?

• Bean does break up play but loses as much as he wins, I think we could do better without him but it's personal opinion. Thought the defence were excellent today, too early to say if York will struggle I've said that about teams before and they have ended in the playoffs .

• @OX66 said:
    Bean does break up play but loses as much as he wins, I think we could do better without him but it's personal opinion. Thought the defence were excellent today, too early to say if York will struggle I've said that about teams before and they have ended in the playoffs .

It depends on what you choose to see in Beanos game he's the Lenny Kravitz of league 2 . I think the team as a whole was head and shoulders above York my MOTM was Hayes as always.

• York pegged to struggle not sure about that they retained the ball well caused some trouble with there wing backs, they only lost today because of 2 individual errors by there back 3. There 3 at the back tactics today didn't work only because we placed 3 forwards against them. I think York will do just fine.

• Yes your right depends on what you concentrate on as I said saw both sides to his game.

• Ratings:
    Ingram-6-didn't do much
    Sido-6-did his duty
    Stewart-8-scored and swept well
    Pierre-8-didn't loose a header
    Jacobson-7-good defensively/a lot of hoofing
    O'nien-7-worked hard/battled & looked sharp
    Bean-7-did his job well
    Wood-6-struggled to make an impact
    Hayes-7-pressed well. Didn't get much of the ball
    Holloway-8-Scored looked a threat
    Thompson-7-harased their back line

• Bean was everywhere cleaning up and was my unsung hero, JJ for me hoofs the ball when a simple pass to whoever is on the left hand side would suffice. Overall performance OK. I can see good things ahead.

My only gripe is please play some football on the deck when we did it was awesome unfortunately Hayes was deemed offside. If we do hit the beckams, then at least get up and support the poor guy.

Well done guys and Stewert awesome anticipation for your goal.

• The most important aspect of today, was that without playing as well as we can, we won and looked imposing.

You get the impression when you play big teams, you know who they ARE, that's what I felt today - York were afraid to play us.

• Great result, shame about the football but hard to keep it on the deck and play slick football when you are up against "in your face" aggressive giants.
    Tuesday evening should be much more of a football match.

• edited August 2015

Thompson for my money didn't look quite as sharp as Hayes, though a decent debut in a fairly relaxed opening game. Bean was very good in the destructive role in front of the back four - he's not the best ball player in the world but he can do a very effective and important job for us disrupting the opposition in midfield.

Overall the opposition were too poor on the day to really get a proper measure of where we're at, almost like that similarly balmy day in Yorkshire some three years ago when we stuck three past a somewhat clueless York - but then proceeded to have a desperately poor start to the campaign after that. Of course our squad this season is light-years ahead of that side, though beware of first-game mirages...

• Very impressed by Reece Thompson (their No.22) who was plucked out of non-league Frickley but their cumbersome defence will probably be their undoing.

• Why was Winfield subject to such abuse? Sure, he's a former player but I'm not sure his departure warranted that?

• Why was Winfield subject to such abuse? Sure, he's a former player but I'm not sure his departure warranted that?