Skip to content

I'm sure lightening won't strike twice

But I see that the Nigerian FA want Jordan Ibe to pledge to them instead of England. Now whatever the lad does good luck to him but for the love of god I hope that we are not embarrassed about the terms of the transfer and add ons like we were with Phillips and the bonus money when he makes an international debut.

Comments

• I would hope not as well, but if Nigeria had been considered an option, the overall value and composition of the deal would probably have been different. You wouldn't offer a bonus if a player went on to play for the Seychelles for example. Indeed if Ibe play football for NIgeria during the Premier League season, his value to Liverpool is less as they have to find another player to cover for him. I think the club may have been naïve in previous instances, but its less clear that the naivety cost money, unless agreement to a bonus payment based on international appearances was accepted in lieu of more money upfront.

• I also read that Liverpool say he'll choose England, i imagine on the clubs advice.

• I thought this was going to be about Rovers.

• @robin said:
    I also read that Liverpool say he'll choose England, i imagine on the clubs advice.

I would expect so. Eventhough Nigeria practically share our TZ UTC +1, I couldn't imagine a player of his caliper choosing Nigeria and having to travel for their fixtures. Stick to St George's buddy. He'll nail that England shirt pretty soon if Liverpool get off to a flyer.