Skip to content

Steven Craig starts life at Dumbarton

Steven Craig came on as a second-half sub in Dumbarton's match at East Fife in the Scottish League Cup. The match ended 1-1 and went into extra-time which also ended in a stalemate. East Fife won the penalty shoot-out 4-3 with Steven Craig missing one of Dumbarton's spot-kicks. Let's hope it improves for him next game as he deserves a bit of success back in Scotland.

Comments

• Why does he deserve success in Scotland?

• No idea one of the worst strikers to play for us that i have seen, certainly in the bottom 5. Ironic he missed a penalty too as it was his only half decent asset

• i wish him every success and don't really follow why there is so much anger towards him. In the bottom five strikers in recent years? Rubbish

• Worked hard and good at pens just struggled to consistently get end product. Would rather have a player like him with less skill but the right attitude than a player with loads of skill but a poor attitude like Dean Morgan. Scored on survival Saturday and in the playoffs also.

• Really who do you think is worse?? A couple of league goals from open play in 2 years and one of them a total fluke.

• I thought his attitude stunk when we were headinf for relegation and he was in the press moaning re unpaid bonuses personally

• He only worked hard in the final few games of last season when he realised that he wanted to get a chance to play at Wembley.

• @MakkaPakka I agree with you on the bonus comments. He shouldn't have said it but the BFP led him in too. He seemed to benefit from it last season too.

I remember a cracking strike at Cheltenham and a key goal at Plymouth last season alone so how can we discuss fully with your half memory. It was interesting to me how Craig seemed to find his way in to the side at the key moments in both seasons too.

A bad striker debate is a fools game and I'll leave that to others. We've had lots of under performing strikers over the years but most have offered something. Trouble is just because a player isn't great and a 'legend' he seems to fall straight in to the rubbish category when in reality a whole area of average happens.

As a Wycombe fan I think Craig did ok for us. I wish him all the best in the future as I have good memories that he has left me with. Life's to short to do anything else isn't it?

• 5 worse strikers than Craig from 'recent seaons':

Elliot Benyon
    Richard Logan
    Dennis Oli
    JP Pittman (2013/14 edition)
    John Sutton

I could arguably add Jo Kuffour, Junior Morias and Oliver Taylor to that list. That's Without considering the disastrous loan spells of the likes of Fola Onibuje, Nicholas Bignall and Matthew Whichelow

• edited August 2015

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Craig had been asked to make his intervention on bonuses by someone far more senior than him. Certainly he was picked to start the next match, which intrigued me at the time. Given it's pretty clear Ainsworth can bear a grudge - c.f. Matt Spring, Peter Murphy - the fact Craig remained in the team, and indeed was picked repeatedly even when his performances were poor, suggested to me that he was asked by someone pretty senior to give the interview to the BFP on behalf of the squad.

Whether it was the most diplomatic way of getting through to Woodward and co, I don't know. It was certainly an incongruous interview. But if nothing else was working and this was the only way to prevent mutiny by some pretty depressed players staring relegation in the face, I suspect Craig's releasing the pressure valve may have been considered pretty useful by many senior members of staff, if not the board.

• Right_in_the_Middle

Agree with you He's never going to be a Scott Brown or Guppy but after a few unfortunate comments did okay and I wouldn't have complained if he stayed.
    Add to that he has a family to support and the chances of us playing Dumbarton are slim at best so best of luck to him in the strange world of Scottish football.

• I agree to an extent re some.of those players perhaps, yet nearly all.of them had a better English football League record than Craig had with us

• @Croider said:
    5 worse strikers than Craig from 'recent seaons':

Elliot Benyon
    Richard Logan
    Dennis Oli
    JP Pittman (2013/14 edition)
    John Sutton

I could arguably add Jo Kuffour, Junior Morias and Oliver Taylor to that list. That's Without considering the disastrous loan spells of the likes of Fola Onibuje, Nicholas Bignall and Matthew Whichelow

I agree. Reece Styche as well.

• @aloysius said:
    You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Craig had been asked to make his intervention on bonuses by someone far more senior than him. Certainly he was picked to start the next match, which intrigued me at the time. Given it's pretty clear Ainsworth can bear a grudge - c.f. Matt Spring, Peter Murphy - the fact Craig remained in the team, and indeed was picked repeatedly even when his performances were poor, suggested to me that he was asked by someone pretty senior to give the interview to the BFP on behalf of the squad.

Whether it was the most diplomatic way of getting through to Woodward and co, I don't know. It was certainly an incongruous interview. But if nothing else was working and this was the only way to prevent mutiny by some pretty depressed players staring relegation in the face, I suspect Craig's releasing the pressure valve may have been considered pretty useful by many senior members of staff, if not the board.

Funny you should say that as I read it very much that way at the time and was surprised at the general reaction to his comments.

I have no doubt that he was told to say what he said, as I really don't think he would have featured again if not. That's not to say that they were supposed to be taken maliciously, perhaps more to put the point across to supporters at the time that times really were hard financially. Get one of the more senior players to say that in an in review, take a bit of supporter weight off the backs of the young, inexperienced and struggling squad.

• in an interview
  • I always thought that Craig was the fall guy and there is no doubt that last season he was in Ainsworth's inner circle with Hayes and Bloomfield.

Aloysius is, I suspect wrong about Ainsworth bearing a grudge. Murphy was only dropped because he was unsettled and his performances suffered as a consequence and Matt Spring's not playing was almost certainly contractural.