Skip to content

Techy issue with WW website videos

Feel a bit silly posting this, as someone who worked in IT until very recently, but is anyone having problems viewing the videos on the WW official website? They stopped working for me a few days ago - when I click on the Play right-arrow, the video area goes black and stays black. You can view them in YouTube, Facebook etc, but not the official site. This is on a PC running Windows 10. Thought it might be a Flash problem - checked the permissions etc, but they seem OK. Thought it might be Windows updates which ran a few days ago, but did a system restore to before they went in, still the same. Not a disaster, but just annoying. Anyone got any clues? Thanks.

Comments

• Have you tried clearing your cache?

• I've just tried that @OxfordBlue - doesn't seem to make any difference. I was using Chrome - just discovered it works OK on MS Edge, so maybe Chrome needs updating. Does work OK on a laptop using Windows 7 and Chrome, though. Thanks anyway.

• I had the same problem until I deleted Adblock on my laptop.

• @AlanCecil said:
    I had the same problem until I deleted Adblock on my laptop.

That makes sense. You could just whitelist the site too I'd imagine and leave adblock as an extension.

• Hadn't seen the last two posts. Had a thought it could be something to do with AdBlock. Set it to not run. Lo and behold, the video started. Came back to the Gasroom, my thoughts had been vindicated. Thanks @AlanCecil and @OxfordBlue .

• I would strongly recommend not turning off your adblocker. Even better, switch your browser to Brave (very good Chrome based browser with built in content blockers and no creepy Google spyware) or Firefox (the latest version has excellent content blocking and is really fast), or (if you're on a Mac ) Safari with the 1Blocker extension. There's been enough malicious ads served over the years that an adblocker these days should be considered as important as a firewall or antivirus.

edit: Just did a quick test - on Brave the videos do as described here unless you whitelist the site. Firefox plays them just fine though, even while blocking the 12 (!!!) tracking scripts on the iFollow page.

• @drcongo said:
    I would strongly recommend not turning off your adblocker. Even better, switch your browser to Brave (very good Chrome based browser with built in content blockers and no creepy Google spyware) or Firefox (the latest version has excellent content blocking and is really fast), or (if you're on a Mac ) Safari with the 1Blocker extension. There's been enough malicious ads served over the years that an adblocker these days should be considered as important as a firewall or antivirus.

edit: Just did a quick test - on Brave the videos do as described here unless you whitelist the site. Firefox plays them just fine though, even while blocking the 12 (!!!) tracking scripts on the iFollow page.

It’s a tough call though. Part of the football ecosystem is funded by digital advertising. If everyone did as you did, there’s be a significant revenue hole to plug.

• Just when i thought ifollow would be the one place to watch Wycombe highlights without betting adverts I was once again let down, just saw a skybet advert before the highlight video started, how very depressing, I guess Orwell was right.

“So long as they (the Proles) continued to work and breed, their other activities were without importance. Left to themselves, like cattle turned loose upon the plains of Argentina, they had reverted to a style of life that appeared to be natural to them, a sort of ancestral pattern...Heavy physical work, the care of home and children, petty quarrels with neighbors, films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult.”

George Orwell, 1984

• @OxfordBlue said:

@drcongo said:
    I would strongly recommend not turning off your adblocker. Even better, switch your browser to Brave (very good Chrome based browser with built in content blockers and no creepy Google spyware) or Firefox (the latest version has excellent content blocking and is really fast), or (if you're on a Mac ) Safari with the 1Blocker extension. There's been enough malicious ads served over the years that an adblocker these days should be considered as important as a firewall or antivirus.

It’s a tough call though. Part of the football ecosystem is funded by digital advertising. If everyone did as you did, there’s be a significant revenue hole to plug.

Fair point that , a bit like complaining about pay walls, people want paying for their work. More and more sites are requiring to have ad blocker disabled or bypassed now. What data the likes of Google and Facebook needlessly scrape and what they do with it defy belief at times but its hard to avoid.

• Good post @fedup1980

No mug George Orwell

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Fair point that , a bit like complaining about pay walls, people want paying for their work.

Oh I'm all for people getting paid, but iFollow is a service I already pay for. If I'm paying for the service with cold hard cash, I shouldn't also be paying for it with my personal data, the security of my computer or having to watch a sodding advert aimed at mouth breathers.

• @drcongo said:

@StrongestTeam said:
    Fair point that , a bit like complaining about pay walls, people want paying for their work.

Oh I'm all for people getting paid, but iFollow is a service I already pay for. If I'm paying for the service with cold hard cash, I shouldn't also be paying for it with my personal data, the security of my computer or having to watch a sodding advert aimed at mouth breathers.

I'm sure they'd claim you'd be paying more if it wasn't for the valued contributions of commercial partners blah blah blah but you aren't wrong.

• @drcongo said:

@StrongestTeam said:

I have the same issue with Sky, exorbitant monthly fees for endless adds (though they managed to half my monthly bill when I said I was leaving).

What's worse is the adds on Iplayer all seem to be 'When the **FUN **stops, stop (but only after your in crippling debt, are psychologically crushed and have alienated your family and friends)'!

• Imagine if we allowed the tobacco companies to start advertising again as long as they ran the strapline ‘When the cough starts, stop’.

A truly pathetic fig leaf.

• That is a perfect analogy.