Skip to content

OAP discounts

13»

Comments

• Not an OAP yet but can I just stick in there that pensioners are often subsidising their kids nowadays as well as providing free childcare. They are still paying taxes on the money they have earned. It's great that yet again closing tax loopholes for the rich penalising feckless bankers and dealing with corruption at national and local level takes a back seat to kicking the hard working up the arse yet again. So I think old gits and lady gits should get reduced tickets!

• I can only speak for myself but I would regard a discount on parking as an inducement to attend rather than to help me out financially. Having retired many years I know how many other things there are to do than turn out to watch football. If you feel like that on the day even free parking would make no difference.

• Are we allowed to call us/them OAPs anymore I think the preferred term is Older Persons or Citizens not OAPs and certainly not Coffin dodgers

• Well the guardian style guide says

OAPs, old age pensioners
    Do not use: they are pensioners or old people; do not use old or elderly to describe someone under 75 (the editors reserve the right to increase this upper limit, as appropriate)

• “The main driver of pensioner income growth has been the arrival of successive new waves of pensioners, who are more likely to work, own their home and have generous private pension wealth than any previous generation,”

Another case of the few moving the statistics for the average and the wrong conclusions being made.

Still think Wycombe Wanderers treat pensioners pretty poorly but I don't have anything new to add to that if I'm honest.

• A lot of the pensioners at AP seem absolutely hammered to me. Not sure if that's related @Right_in_the_Middle

• Leaving aside WWFC for a moment, the reality is the polar opposite of what you say Righty.

The report shows (figure 11 pg 25) that the median disposable income for pensioners
    has just moved higher than those in work. The top 20% earners disposable income remains higher for those in work although pensioners are closing the gap. For the poorest 20% of each, pensioners have been ahead of working age people for some time now.

The report compares all pensioners to all working age, but the reality is that recent pensioners (less than 75 yo) have higher disposable incomes than older pensioners and that younger working age people lower disposable incomes than older working people.

Which all means in a WWFC context that we are targeting our old age discounts (60 year olds to 75 year olds when perhaps people older than this become less likely to attend) at generally the richest generation of all.

Now that the female retirement age is being equalised to men, it is particularly hard to understand why some organisations, including WWFC, start their discounted prices for older people at 60.

• I agree with Dev on this one. Perhaps I'm very biased because I'm 26 and living in London and feeling the pinch of wages remaining stagnant (or in fact dropping) whilst the cost of living rises year on year.

• "Which all means in a WWFC context that we are targeting our old age discounts (60 year olds to 75 year olds when perhaps people older than this become less likely to attend) at generally the richest generation of all."
    This was the point I was making. We don't need a discount but incentives to turn up wouldn't come amiss. It all gets too much of an effort as you get older.

• What whinging chris you are getting on my old nerves

• So Onlooker, just exactly how are you subsidising OAPs?

• I don't know for sure but happy to pay over and above the £5 I presently pay if Blue Badge holders can park for free.

• Having hit 60 a couple of years ago I quite like the limited opportunities to get stuff cheap. In fact, I am often disappointed at the number of grounds that don't give senior discounts till you are 65.

• Having seen some scofflaws at away games bunk in for a child, what happens for the other end of the scale?

Get a Bus pass out, or do they take your word for it?