Skip to content

Sin-bins

"Football's law-making body Ifab is to look at introducing sin-bins for yellow-card offences."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38824937

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm intrigued, but feel it could really affect the flow of games if teams go ultra-defensive/time wasting whilst the player is out of action. If that happens multiple times in a game I'm not sure it would have a positive impact on the spectacle for fans.

Also, allowing more subs is only going to disrupt games even more, sod that.

Comments

• Much as I have little time for rugby, I've always thought sin bins could work in football - might stop some of the more cynical `taking one for the team' yellow cards we see. Saying that, the one thing I'd most like to see taken from rugby is respect for referees and only the captain being allowed to talk to them.

More subs would be rubbish and only punish clubs with smaller squads even further.

• I'd like to see sin bins given a go but have seen negative tactics used to negate them in hockey more than rugby. Imagine how much more timewasting would happen.

I've always thought it odd teams other than the one offended against get the benefit of bans from yellow cards but on reflection I think football is simply too cynical for it to work.

• should the player in the sin-bin be blindfolded and spun around ten times before he can come back on? How many sin-bins before an early bath?

• I'd prefer to see yellow cards replaced with a quadruple vodka. That could genuinely put the offending team at a disadvantage while keeping the entertainment value for the fans just as high, if not higher.

• How about having a sin-bath, instead? Located in full view of the paying public to maximise potential ridicule. Might be a popular addition at Rodney Parade.

• @drcongo - never put Simon Garner at a disadvantage.

• edited February 2017

not sure about "sin bins", I would go for an injury bin.
    If the game is stopped because a player is lying injured on the pitch, then the manager is asked to make a choice:
    1/ Take the player off for 15 minutes for treatment and recovery and play on with 10 men, then either bring that player back on or bring a sub on. Or..
    2/ Make an immediate substitution and continue with 11 players.

This would cut out players feigning injury and time wasting, as they could potentially let their side down and face the wrath of their manager by forcing them to be a man down for 15 minutes, or be immediately subbed off .

• But a reasonable amount of time players are genuinely hurt but able to carry on after treatment/ a recovery period, aren't they?

• The way some of the games go, there won't be many players on the pitch! LOL

• How about more litter bins? The amount of rubbish dropped (& spoken) on the terraces is spoiling modern football.

• edited February 2017

How about when a player gets a yellow card he is replaced by Dusty Bin for 10 mins ?

• Wasn't there a comedy programme, broadcast a few years ago and starring Ricky Tomlinson, about a football team who had a kind of caricature of a wheelie bin as the club mascot, due to the club sponsor being a local waste disposal company called "Wirral Rubbish"?

• To be a bit boring and actually try to answer the question, I would be in favour of trialing sin bins in football. As Righty says, the current system means that the main benefit from yellow cards doesn't accrue to the side actually offended against.

But the slightly interesting paradox is that being a man down doesn't seem to be as much of a disadvantage in football as it is in rugby. You would have thought it would be more of a disadvantage, since it's 1/11th of the complement rather than 1/15th. I think the reason is that positions are less fluid in rugby, so the absent player leaves more of an identifiable gap. It is a bit odd though.

• Mike Bassett : Manager. It was on ITV and was about Wirral County FC

• If it was to apply to all yellow card offences it would quickly become a farce. Might make sense for a few selected offences but there would be players on and off all over the place, particularly second half, at current levels. At the Spurs game for example we might only have had 7 or 8 on the pitch near the end at one point (I know that probably not accurate to save someone actually working it out).

Mind you, the week before Luton would only have had 3 on halfway through the second half so maybe not all bad!

• Yellow card means you can only hop until the next yellow card...that would learn them and make the game a greater spectacle. Or not. Half the fun of football for me is terrible officiating, mistakes, and pantomime villainy...sin-bins sounds crap. Unless the player in the sin-bin has to choose to sit in front of the singing section, the mindless abuse section or the throwing rotten fruit section. Something for the kids.

• Sin bins !! That's all football wants what with. yellow cards given out like confetee also penalties given when the ball hits a player. There are twenty two players out on the pitch all after the same ball!! Collisions are bound to happen also get the game back to 90 minutes.

• Can a keeper be sin binned?

Rush goalies?

• Rush goalies would be superb!

• The card system works just fine in hockey. Green off for 2 minutes, Yellow for 5-10 minutes, Red off altogether. It causes no disruption to the game. Suspension counts from when you reach the "sin bin" so hanging around arguing is counterproductive.

• No thanks, not much wrong with the current system imo.

The suggestion about "injured" players having to leave the pitch for 15 minutes is ridiculous, you can get a whack that really hurts initially but doesn't require any "proper treatment"

• @Wendoverman , agree with that!
    I'd hate too much tv tech to come in.

If every call was correct, half the fun of whinging, or laughing at your luck would be erased.

• No I'm a fan of NHL but I think it wouldn't work in football

• The team with the most local born players should get a two goal start. The shortest player gets to pick the ball up and run with it. More than two yellow cards in a game and the offending manager has to take a player off. Video evidence. Photographic evidence. Crowd should get to mark players out of ten and collated scores used to pick the team the following week. Commentators should get to run along pitchside. Every team has to have a young couple marry in the centre circle before every match. Weight limit for referees. Anything that brings the spectacle back to the game. (Gary Barlow banned from performing in any stadium though...I hate him.)

• Hang on, if any singers are going to be banned it has to be Paul McCartney surely.

• @bluegasbag it's all a matter of taste...but don't diss the Macca. Even WITH the Frog's Chorus he makes Sir Taxdodge look like a painfully bland careerist. Robbie can come though...

• McCartney recorded the song Taxman before Barlow was even born.

• Well it was actually a Harrison song and they were getting taxed about 95% - which even I think is a little bit too much. Its also quite funny

• @chris I'm shocked you would get such an important Beatles related fact wrong I have always defended your moderating of the site but this really does bring your judgement into question.

• Maybe he pressed the "record" button.