Skip to content

Match day thread: Aston Villa

Sorry it's late, I'm a poor substitute for @BSE's diligence.

Comments

• I must admit I am very surprised by the take up of tickets. It’s great that we’ve got so close to selling out. A reminder to cynics like me that childlike enthusiasm never dies.

I think we have as many as ten players unavailable tonight, which makes taking on a Champions League club even more challenging. Nonetheless am looking forward to it.

COME ON YOU BLUES!

• I too was sceptical especially because of the ticket pricing and being a late ko during the week, maybe I need to get in touch with my positive side..... ok here goes.

We're gonna win 3-1......COYB!!

• I'd be delighted if these are all WWFC fans but methinks a lot maybe Villa fans...

• and this time importantly...not just in the first half!!

• Players unavailable - Morley, Taylor (cup tied), Taf, Vokes, Hanlan, Leahy, Kodua (injured), Udoh (concussion), Fred (lacking match fitness) - anyone else?

Likely team (?) - Ravizolli; Grimmer, Hartridge, Low, Harvie; Scowen, Humphreys, Butcher; Sadlier, McCleary; Kone

Bench - George, Pattenden, Skura, Lubala, Bakinson, Wheeler, McCarthy?

• Big chance for Hartridge to remind us why we signed him. I’d anticipate Bez starting ahead of GMac.

• I'd be surprised if McCleary starts, I suspect he'll be rested (on the bench) with Bristol Rovers on Saturday in mind. Wouldn't be a big surprise to see Lubala make a start. Bakinson for Scowen is also a possibility. Blooms hinted the other day that he'd be looking to make changes from Saturday.

Would be nice to see Fred on the bench!

• Surely Fred has to be on the bench. If he can't manage 10 to 15 minutes now, God knows when he will be fit to start a game.

• If he's not had a pre-season it could easily take a few weeks. He's only been signed a week or so ago for goodness sake. Hardly make or break if he can't play tonight. In fact it'd be a strange game to throw him in for wouldn't it?

• 9 subs in the League Cup, so wouldn't be a huge surprise to see Fred on the bench.

Subtracting Taylor, Morley and Udoh from Saturday's squad, we only have McCarthy, Pattenden, Bartolo and Wheeler to add back in, so space for one more unless Dotse or one of the injured lads makes a surprise comeback.

• That's enough to scare them if they aren't taking it seriously, and if they are we might struggle, Hopefully they'll be resting a few and dreaming of more important things.

• Wow, some names in that Villa side. Duran is one of the most in demand strikers anywhere. Brave choice putting that defence out.

• I make that 8 changes from Saturday's starting team. which suggests MB is clearly prioritising the league campaign.

• Surprised he's tweaked that much tbh

• Oooohhhh..... that defence are all going to have to be on their A++++ game tonight..

• Wow. So many changes. Didn’t expect that

• Is it on Wanderers TV?

• Risky set of changes but I still have a weird feeling we can beat that Villa outfit. Especially as they've not even bothered bringing most of their big players for the bench.

• We have a great squad and in Blooms we trust, but I can’t help but feel slightly sad that we haven’t started with our strongest XI. I’m a firm believer in putting out the right team to give us the best opportunity to beat our opposition on any normal game (ie selecting our starting line-up tactically), but this is a free hit for us in front of a huge crowd.

Of course, in Gasroom fashion, I’m hoping to come back in a few hours with my tail between my legs, celebrating a win and staring at plenty of thumbs down.

• Ah.

I think we can safely say it won’t be 0-0.

And I think anyone previously worried about an excessively late finish can relax.

Good luck Blues! (You may need it)

• Villa are certainly taking this more seriously than I hoped they would. Big chance for our kids and fringe players tho.

• Villa appear to be taking it more seriously than we are.

• Leahy and Fred on the bench.

Those are a positive in themselves for me

• Ainsworth talking about Wycombe with the billions and our plans for an academy.

Penny for his thoughts.

• going to need to be out our very best tonight COYB!