Skip to content

Mikheil Lomtadze confirmed as one of three new directors

Comments

• Probably Bill Turnbull shouting. He was all of us that night.

• Fair enough - though I don't think that many fans wished for this. It has just been taken out of our hands by the unsustainability of being fan owned. If I could "wish for" either being owned by a billionaire or being sustainably fan owned in L2 with the odd forage into L1, I would choose the latter.

It really does feel like the whole rotten system is going to end in tears at some point.

• There is no hope at all of player purchases being made that are out of the ordinary. Most the comments on here about potential signings firmly have tongues in cheeks. We are excited about a solid future. One with an academy that can build cash flow and local heroes. We were robbed of our academy when we had to settle debt and that was the right thing to do rather than financially dope and run the risk of going bust.

Indeed be careful what we wish for but that wish is actually strong financial development and organic growth. Not Jonny Come Latey mercenaries

• Don’t think any Wycombe fan is talking about the premiership we are not that stupid . If it has been mentioned it’s just taking the mickey, we would accept getting another chance of the championship however being a well run club with a decent academy challenging for promotion in div 1 on a regular occurrence will be fine .

• edited May 5

@theRoyalBiscuit, it's not possible for you to know but I'm fairly sure most of the regulars in here realise any talk of splashing the cash is just our own in joke.

For years we barely had a pot to piss in, never mind call it our own. Splashing the cash would amount to getting hot water & towels in the gents toilets on the same day.

Not one of those posting on here, whose opinions I'd give a second thought too, seriously wish to see us grow beyond reasonable means of sustainability when the billionaire leave. And he will one day, of that we can be sure.

We'll enjoy the ride, I hope. And I'd certainly like another crack at the Championship - on an equal footing with everyone else - and with fans in the stadium to enjoy.

You've only got to look at our wish list to see we aren't being greedy.

1. Chairlift from town to Adams Park

2. Free entry to the stadium

3. Free crisps in all the kiosks

4. Hot water and towels in the gents

• If he sorts hot water and towels in the gents, just give him the keys to the town

• That really is pushing the boat out. You’ll be asking for crisps next.

• I can't help but feel that we owe a massive "thank you" to Rob Couhig and co for selling the dream to his "friend". Whilst the jury is still out and it remains to be seen what this means for our club, it's something most clubs would dream of, and credit to RC for making us an attractive enough proposition.

The work the Americans have done goes a little unnoticed, we underestimate all the work they have done and take it a liittle for granted. This club is so much better off because of them, whatever disagreements there have been.

Some of my favourite seasons of supporting this club have been with them at the helm, and I'm excited for what the future holds. This is the way football is going, and we are ahead of the trend.

My 7 year old has been to Wembley the same number of times I have as a Wycombe fan. He asked me if this is something that happens every year? I can't wait to make his dreams come true.

• Yes we have been very fortunate to have had Rob and his family as the temporary custodians of this amazing club of ours. I am sure he wouldn’t pass it on unless he believed that the new owner would take on the challenge in a rightful manner in his absence.

Rob - we owe you so much.

• A chairlift with en suite facilities and an usherette handing out crisps and a matchday programme would be a good start for the Georgian lad.

• Whether we ultimately owe Rob a big debt of gratitude is a bit of an unknown though isn’t it. As none of us know how this will play out.

It may be the best thing that has ever happened to Wycombe Wanderers. As it was for say Bournemouth when they were bought by a wealthy Eastern European (Max Demin).

Equally it might prove to be the worst.

As our friend from Reading points out when John Madejski sold the Royals to wealthy foreign investors it set in train a series of progressively terrible ownerships that have got them to where they are today.

Or when Barry Hearn sold Leyton Orient to Francesco Becchetti it was similarly disastrous.

Who knows? The truth is that the proof will be in the pudding. Fingers crossed.

• Whilst you’re certainly not wrong, Rob certainly believes he’s left us in good hands. Plenty of owners have sold to the first bloke who comes along with the cash, but Rob appears to have worked with Mikheil for a while now to ensure it’s the right fit, and so I agree that we owe Rob, for at least doing what he sees as the right thing.

• You are correct, but I really don't think Rob would let that happen. It's reassuring to know that he will be on the board for the time being, and I don't think someone of Dan Rice's significance would commit his services to something that seemed unrealistic or temporary.

We will see. It gives us more hope than not, and the only way to realise potential in the football world today is with financial backing - we all know that.

Passion, team spirit and togetherness of our wonderful club will only take us so far - as we have witnessed. Investment is the only way we will reach the next level.

• Lomtadze has a (business, I think) degree from Harvard too. He is no trust fund dummy or someone who was in the right place at the right time to build a loo roll empire, or something. I am guessing he is seriously clever.

• Think again...

Some of the posts on our other "social media" pages beggar belief.;

"With that sort of money we can attract some big players. With that comes better Football, better results, and bigger crowds",

"Premiership. 3 seasons, Champions league 5 seasons; Champions league champions 7 seasons; Buy the Rye park, build new stadium"

Not to mention talks of regular crowds of 6500 +

What planet do these people live on?

• always a few twats facebook i’m guessing you are referring too , i think the majority of supporters who have been supporting the club for some years are more realistic .

• edited May 5

I don't think expecting some 'big' signings is unrealistic. We know the bloke is absolutely minted.

• Ah the joys of football supporters & social media, sadly the latter seems to have the effect of dragging all down to the lowest common denominator.

Bonhoeffer was right that the real danger is stupidity not evil, something one can witness every hour of every day on your social media platform of choice.

Thankfully the Gasroom is a tad more thoughtful & erudite and seems to encourage some degree of friendly disagreement with little in the way of the poisonous & often assinine barbs we see on X/Twitter or Facebook.

Anyway it seems to me most on here are, begrugingly at worst, grateful to the Couhigs for not only saving the club but giving us 5 fantastic seasons & also for the way Rob in particular has gone about finding, as he sees it, a new owner who shares his vision of how to take the club forward. Even better Lomtadze has the financial wherewithall and business acumen to potentially make that a success in the medium term. I sincerely hope that his plan is focussed on infrastructure and an academy & leaves RIce, Bloomfield & the other backroom staff to find & develop more gems like Anis, Chris & Richard.

• Admittedly, not the names the FB drones are probably thinking of. You have to build to that.

• As for the bit about the Champions League, that's fairly obviously tongue in cheek 😂

• With the number of squad players we have retained and the focus on re-building our academy, it looks very much as if we are putting in place the building blocks for a long term sustainable existence as opposed to just splashing the cash.

I am sure our Georgian gentleman will want to have a bit of fun with the squad additions and loan players we add to the existing squad. However, I anticipate a very sensible and businessman like approach.

• You're correct in your guess. Also (I hope) correct in your assumption that long term supporters of the club have their feet more firmly rooted on the ground.

Sadly I fear their could be many new "fans" that sniff almost instant glory and their chance to get to the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium and cheer on their team....

• It's an interesting question which we may soon get an answer to. Who is the most expensive player that would actually come to a small club in League One?

Jesse Lingard?

• We will look back on this in 10 years time when we are founder members of the European Super League and think this is when we started to take off.

We will look back on this in 10 years time in our first season in the Spartans South Midlands Football League and think this is when we started to crash.

(In 10 years time when I’ve learnt how to hack into the Gasroom and change my edit time to 87648 hours you will all realise how right I was)

• The bit about 6500+ crowds is not completely nuts.

It’s a long time ago, but the post-Sanchez era FA Cup run gates were pretty good - admittedly helped by having some nearby clubs with hefty fanbases, but still.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/wycombe-wanderers/attendances/2001-2002

It’s difficult to build that momentum, and although I think the Couhigs have done well for the club, things I think they haven’t done so well are pricing (it’s an expensive day out for families) and the lack of things like quid-a-kid days.

I’m sure it’s not as easy as that, and we’ve had good seasons pre-Couhigs which didn’t seem to really build the fanbase, but still.

• In terms of big signings I'd settle for Big Chris Forino. Doubt they'll be any major names in this summer, hopefully more a case of getting hold of some impressive talent from lower levels/Scottish/Irish leagues and building a pool of talent with value