Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Charlton

124»

Comments

• @Shev on the post match interview with Rob, @bluntphil suggested it was our 5th best ever season (which The Chairman immediately looked to upgrade to 4th claiming the Wembley final pushed it up!!).

5th or 6th whatever ain’t bad.

• It's a pedantic point (I know!) but I think it should be referred to as our 5th highest finish rather than 5th best ever season.

You'd need to on drugs to claim it was a better season than winning the double in 93, for example

• Have we signed a striker yet?

• We need a left back. JJ’s legs really have finally gone. Gone and left the building 😢

• There is a missing season somewhere in that reckoning:

Taking @eric_plant's correct terminology into account:

Highest: 22nd in Champo 20/21

2nd highest: 3rd L1 19/20

3rd highest: 6th L1 21/22

4th highest: 6th L1 under MON

5th highest: 9th L1 22/23

6th highest: 10th this season.

Maybe they were talking about highest L1 finishes only and not including Champo?

• Watching some interviews by @bluntphil after the game and I just recalled my favourite moment from yesterday. Wycombe fans booing Luke Leahey for taking the corner just after JJ had come on. Brilliant stuff. And if I was a Charlton fan probably quite confusing.

• @eric_plant couldn’t agree more

• Agreed. It was also good, though, that a really good number of fans wanted to stay to say farewell to some players we won't see again. That was in stark contrast to last season's event, where there was barely a quorum to say farewell to the likes of Gape and Thompson. It was a bit "just because you're losing".

• Yep, it was really heartening to see a good proportion of the crowd stay on afterwards. We'll see how next season goes, but it's nice to think for a while at least that Bloomfield seems to be building something quite special.

Incidentally, catching up with the post match interviews, I noticed that Blooms hinted that a couple of the loanees may be returning. Would love too see Taylor continue his development and of course Longwijk would be amazing! Hard to think his form hasn't caught the attention of both Wolves and Championship clubs. I've had a hunch for a while that Campbell may sign on a permanent deal. Otherwise I struggle to see why we'd have bought him back for a few months during which he featured very little. Gideon may well look for another loan also, whether with us or a team a division or 2 lower we'll see. Wouldn't be a huge surprise to see him back though.

• I would be amazed if we signed Ched Campbell long term. I haven't seen anything so far that makes me feel, "oh he is a must". Maybe I am a bit blind to his talents. 🤷‍♂️

• edited April 30

I’ve filed him under “too scared to make a mistake” at the moment - which of course, can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If he learnt to have the courage to run at his man and take him on, he’d be a different player. He’s done that a bit, in glimpses, but for me, not enough to take him to that next level.

He’s had a great chance to learn from Sads and GMac how to be an effective in a wide position. Hopefully for him, he’s still young enough to kick on.

• The biggest thing about Chem Campbell is he played as if he couldn’t be bothered.

• Was Campbell even there on Saturday? Didn’t hear him mentioned in the thanks and farewells or anything afterwards. He was the forgotten man for me. By being almost completely unmemorable

I’d be shocked if he signs. Which probably means his signing is a stonewall certainty

• I think Gideon Kodua may well come back on loan next season. He is well behind Freddie Potts in his development, is (or so I read somewhere) a good mate of fellow “north Londoner”, Richard Kone (handy for travel), and was showing flashes of brilliance during the few matches he played.

I see them as a pair of Special Ks.

• The West Ham fans online are so happy with how the Potts loan went that they are suggesting all sorts of young stars they should send here next season ! Even saw some suggest that they forget other clubs and just send youngsters to us.

• What about Saxon Early?

• edited April 30

I would certainly be surprised but Matt and his team sometimes move in mysterious but unexpectedly productive ways.

Chem only turned 21 a few months ago and had scored eight goals in his loan spells here and at Charlton before his unexpected return here in January. We’ve had strikers who’ve struggled to score that many.

I was surprised to discover that he is 6’ 1” and wonder if he might be better employed more centrally.

In the words of the song, I’m trying to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative!

• Whilst he may have the talent, he doesn't seem to have the work rate and determination we require.

• I’m sure I saw that West Ham were about to post a mini documentary on Kodua on their YouTube channel, as it’s the anniversary of their FA Youth Cup win.

• I agree, I don't think he's shown to warrant a contract offer, but the fact we took him back would indicate he's rated by the management. He did show glimpses last season of potentially being a decent player, he seemed very short of confidence in this loan spell.

Saxon Early is another I wouldn't be surprised to see return. Again, I base this on not much other than we need a left back and in his signing interview he mentioned that he was here for the remainder of the season followed by a rather cryptic and "who knows after that".

• For the record, Blooms did thank Chem and also express his sadness that Saxon was never fit enough for a start.

A class act, that Blooms!

• As mentioned above I was delighted with how many stayed for the lap of appreciation. It’s not been a season topped off with glory but most fans recognise what a decent season it’s been and how we ended with a manager and squad on a high.

Considering how he clearly felt in January I doubt if Matt could have dreamed of the scenes after the match. And he deserves it all.

• edited May 1

Must admit I stayed for much longer than usual after a last home game of the season.

With the great finish to the season and obviously the last chance to clap JJ off it had to be done.

Wonder what JJ's plans are. Wonder if any fans got the chance to ask? It was known he was studying for some sort of financial qualification about a decade ago so assume that would be the direction.

Suspect he won't want to play on a season or 2 down lower?

• I think JJ was injured early on this season resulting in, I’m happy to be corrected, groin surgery. Presumably he hasn’t regained full fitness or his performance levels have dropped. I would doubt he would want to drop down the leagues. But maybe he feels the need to keep playing. Only he knows

• A bit of an underwhelming season in a way but hopefully the testimonial year activities and send off more than made up for it.

• JJ has been studying via the PFA Business School this season, as have Jason McCarthy and Richard Keogh. All three feature in PFA posts on their social media accounts.